Best Jimi Hendrix Live Album for beginners?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr_Flanders, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident Thread Starter

For the person who has just heard the 3 studio albums, what live album or box set would you recommend for further listening? It looks like there are a number of them, and I have gathered that fans have been frustrated by the way his estate has handled posthumous live releases... so I'm curious as to which live album represents the best place to turn for further listening. Live at Monterey can be picked up on the cheap on CD. I'd also considered buying the Songs for Groovy Children box set that has the Fillmore East concerts. I ran across it in a record store on CD the other day for 60 bucks and passed on it because I didn't want to drop 60 bucks on 5 sets with a number of repeats unless it was well recorded and such. Are any of the other releases clearly better?

I'd appreciate any suggestions, friends.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  2. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

By all means, get the original Band of Gypsys album. It's essential.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Live At Monterey is a good start. It is a concise, straight-forward set list (9 songs) from 1967. Not his greatest gig ever, but it captures an important moment in time for Jimi.

4. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

It's one of my favorites. His playing is outstanding on that one. From a guitar perspective it blew my mind in a way his studio albums, great as they are, didn't.

5. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

For a beginner, I’d say the Monterey set for sure. Band of Gypsys is my personal favorite though.

6. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I'd definitely get his show at Monterey, since that's the one that introduced him to Americans as the talent he clearly was. I think the Blu-Ray of The Complete Monterey Pop Festival (Criterion) would be your best bet, since it includes the 30-minute Jimi Plays Monterey and you get to watch him do his thing too (I think "Purple Haze" from that set is unavailable on video, however). It always cracks me up when he's playing the guitar behind his back, playing it with his teeth, etc. and people in the audience are so utterly bug-eyed at what they're seeing.

7. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

You can get Monterey, preferably a video, with the classic Experience lineup.
    You can get Band of Gypsys (for a different lineup).
    Or you can get Live at Berkeley (for the latest lineup).

Or you can get Winterland Highlights.

You cannot go wrong with any of those. Actually, it's a good idea to get them all. There is not much repetition in tracklist, they are different lineups and different years (ok, Gypsys are 69/70). IT is still a core Hendrix discography, no deep dive.

edit: once you are at it, you may also buy the Purple box, there is enough live tracks, inicluding what may be his lost live album. Then you may consider yourself set. (leaves the stage chuckling)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think Jimi Hendrix Concerts is a great live compile for a newby.
    Some great tracks, and performances that cover a broad range of Hendrix stuff

[​IMG]

Fire 3:50
    I Don't Live Today 6:45
    Red House 8:40
    Stone Free 11:01
    Are You Experienced 6:40
    Little Wing 4:11
    Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) 7:11
    Bleeding Heart (Blues In C Sharp) 7:31
    Hey Joe 5:13
    Wild Thing 3:33
    Hear My Train A Comin' (Gettin' My Heart Back Together Again) 8:47

Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Concerts

9. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

Agreed.
    For live Hendrix this is also my goto.

10. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

BOG is as vital as AYE, Axis and EL as it was released in Jimi’s lifetime and, more or less, with his approval. It’s a must have.

Then get Cry of Love, Rainbow bridge and (the original) In the West, likewise vital and all sporting significant input from the man himself.

Everything thereafter is mostly terrific but not as epic as the original seven titles.

musicfan37 and WHMusical like this.
  11. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

- Monterey. The most recent LP reissue is great. Also the Criterion Collection Monterey Pop Festival.
    - Band of Gypsys.

12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Band Of Gypsies
    Concerts
    Live At The BBC

All good choices, imo.

If Band Of Gypsies rocks your both I highly recommend the Songs For Groovy Children box set with all 4 Fillmore East New Years Eve 1970 concerts from which BOG was compiled from.

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Live At Monterey is my favorite live Jimi.

I also recommend the Winterland album.

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

As stated though Band Of Gypsies is an essential Hendrix album

Daryl M, mmars982 and WHMusical like this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

As said, Band Of Gypsys is essential because Jimi put the album together himself. Watch out though, Buddy Miles sings lead vocals on two of his own songs and yelps along to Jimi's.
    If not I'd go for any one these:

The Jimi Hendrix Concerts
    Live At Winterland or Winterland (the single CD edition)
    Hendrix In The West (old version is the one but the new one is good too)
    Voodoo Child (2 CD - one studio and the other is an excellent live collection)

For Monterey, I'd get the DVD because Jimi prioritises the visual aspect at the expense of the solos.

16. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Agree on both Band of Gypsies and The Jimi Hendrix Concerts (get both, but BofG first!)

Band of Gypsies was my entree into Jimi.

I bought the BofG cassette on a recommendation of a record store clerk in SF on my first trip to SF in 1982. Also bought some Thai Stick, and on the drive (as a passenger) back home "Machine Gun" blew my mind, the quintessential Jimi live cut.

First Jimi Cd I bought was T.J.H.Concerts; it has long been a fave--on LP and Cd.

cheers,
    :cheers:

CybrKhatru, SG47 and mark winstanley like this.
  17. WHMusical

Always loved 1972's In The West Lp as well. That "Little Wing" is so sweet.

cheers,

18. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

In the West and the "Soundtrack From the Film Jimi Hendrix" (if you can find it) were my live starting points in 72/73. BOG also, that one is essential.

19. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

This :tiphat:

20. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Great, great album. In my opinion, it features the definitive live versions of "Little Wing," "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)," and "Red House." It also contains a scorching version of "Johnny B. Goode," and the rarely played "Blue Suede Shoes." Unfortunately, when EH re-released In the West they didn't use these version of "Little Wing" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)." :crazy:

21. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

For a newbie:

Monterey
    Original In the West
    JH Concerts
    Ryko Live at Winterland
    Band of Gypsys

Probably in that order, but some people get hooked by BoG right off the bat.

Edit: toss in the segment from the original Woodstock soundtrack

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Either Monterey or Winterland Highlights. Not my favorite, but probably the most accessible for a beginner.

Detroit Rock Citizen and J_D__ like this.
  23. AKA Bubbleup

AKA Bubbleup Forum Resident

Just be advised, the Re-issue of In the West replaces definitive versions of Little Wing and Red House on the original LP. This would knock the re-issue down by a few notches (at least).

24. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

I had much the same challenge recently, so I put together this blog for the beginner, which I hope you'll find useful :

Jimi Hendrix – A Bluffer’s Guide to the live albums

25. WHMusical

Yes, that REALLY bummed me out when I bought it!

Agreed on "Red House" too, and forgot about that killer "Johnny B. Goode."

cheeers

Brettlowden likes this.