Best Joni Mitchell album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

You have my deepest sympathy for your lack of sentence-ending punctuation.

2. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

I'd probably go with Blue by a hair over Court & Spark and Hissing, although Hejira and Don Juan have to be up there too. Also really like Turbulent Indigo.

One of my all-time favorite artists.

Ron P. and jlf like this.
  3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I play Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, Mingus and Hejira most.

Rickchick likes this.
  4. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I listen most to Blue and Hejira, the latter being my favorite. Every time I hear Hejira I'm astonished. I think it's her masterwork.

JDeanB, Satrus, jlf and 4 others like this.
  5. DJ Moch

DJ Moch Well-Known Member

I love love LOVE Joni's music. I'd say my favourite albums are "Court & Spark" and "Hissing Of Summer Lawns." But I'm a huge fan of her work, such challenging and beautiful music she's made.

Ron P., Satrus and jlf like this.
  6. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

1. Hissing of Summer Lawns
    2. Hejira
    3. For the Roses

It was a toss up between Court and Spark and For the Roses for the 3rd spot but the more I listen to For The Roses I discover new things I love about it.

For the run of folky albums I would choose her first one, Song to a Seagull.

Still getting into her post 70s albums but really digging Night Ride Home and Turbulent Indigo.

7. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I'd love to hear a recording of her live in Saskatoon, with the audience heckling her over her well known dissing of her hometown, but I don't think she plays there much. On record, the Jaco records are so different from the rest, it's hard to compare.

8. ScottA

ScottA Member

Blue, Hejira & Miles of Aisles, in that order. What with Blue being considered a classic by so many folks, it seems odd that it's never made it onto SACD. Mind you, I'm grateful for the HDCDs the Warner labels have given us. ...and God bless Oppo for letting me listen to them properly.

Ron P. and sunspot42 like this.
  9. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Clouds

Ron P. likes this.
  10. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

For my money you can't beat the Court / Hissing / Hejira stretch. She went into a lower register and brought in the jazz cats, and it was magic to these ears.

Aleksander86, ronbow, somnar and 3 others like this.
  11. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

I bought my favorite Joni LP, (Hissing.....), in 1975 when it first came out. Side two just kills me. My favorite side for sure...if we were picking sides.
    But I never heard the "ssssss" after words that end in 's", on the title track, until years later, when I had a better stereo. Ok, actually, not till many years later when I had a very good Hi-Fi. As in the snake..... hiss on the cover??? It's the watering of the lawns.

Anyone else have this experience? or maybe you have not heard it yet.....or maybe I'm just a bit slow???

rainbow dome likes this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm quoting myself to say Don Juan's Reckless Daughter has moved into the top three. Now I have to figure which of the previous top three gets demoted.

Ron P. likes this.
  13. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Discovering her early work is a treat too, but I'm with you, I grew up with the latter! :)

14. DJ Moch

DJ Moch Well-Known Member

I've noticed that about the song too, where she sings "hissing of summer lawnsssssssss...." and drags out the S sound.

15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Hejira is her best LP, imo.

rainbow dome likes this.
  16. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Maybe it would be appropriate to release it on Blu-ray... ;)

sunspot42 and jlf like this.
  17. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Yes, I think Mingus is terribly underrated. Never understood the disdain for it, I liked it from the off. And I have to agree with you on Hejira and Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter too. They are remarkable albums.

18. The one I wouldn't do without is Hejira.

MVP award to Jaco Pastorius, for fretless electric bass playing that weaves contrapuntal patterns through every song, underpinning Joni's superb lyrics as if he's reading her mind while she's telling the stories.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  19. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Nicely put.

20. Aphoristical

Aphoristical Aphoristic Album Reviews

Any of the five studio albums between Blue and Hejira are great - my favourite of those is Court and Spark, but you can't really go wrong.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

ladies of the canyon
    court and spark
    hejira
    shadows and light

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just played Ladies Of The Canyon...just cements my choice! LOVE this album...

23. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Funny enough, Jaco came up late in the game. The great Max Bennett plays on "Furry Sings the Blues" and "Song for Sharon".

24. I stand corrected! (This is sort of like when I found out that Marv Tarplin didn't do all of my favorite playing on Motown records.)

Nice bass part on "Song For Sharon". Really nice refrain.

There's a nice bass part and on "Furry Sings the Blues", too- I like the riff that introduces the verses Joni sings. Although that's one tune where I pay more attention to the jazz harmonica part.

The bass on the two songs you brought up sounds more arranged to me than the bass on the tunes that really stick in my head- the title track, "Coyote", "Refuge of the Roads." I wonder if Jaco had written parts worked out on those. To me, it sounds as if he could be winging it.

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The run of albums from BLUE to HEJIRA is pretty astonishing. She could never be accused of rehashing the same material over and over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.