Best Joni Mitchell album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

This is madness, just one! HEJIRA!

Vinyl Socks and jlf like this.
  2. waxworm

waxworm Well-Known Member

Surprised to hear so little about For the Roses, undoubtedly my favorite. Then come Hejira and Court & Spark.

Fender Relic likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

tons of folks picked Hejira ... I know I did and I couldn't even find my post

4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

It’s a tricky one but if pushed, I would have to go for The Very Best of Joni Mitchell...

5. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

For me personally, it's believe it or not, Chalkmark In A Rainstorm . It's the only one I have repeatedly listened to since I first got it and I usually find myself getting into listening to it every few years.

I think it's the songs, the instrumentation, Mike Landau, Manu Kache, Larry Clein , I just really dig that record.

6. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

There is no single "best" with Mitchell. It's like asking which month of the year is "best". She made at least a dozen stellar albums, all great in their own way.

7. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I don’t think that one exists yet

richbdd01 likes this.
  8. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Joni once complained that the industry & public only give a musician about 5-6 years in the spotlight, before casting the artist aside. What a coincidence, that's about how long she had on top, before critics started to tear her down and call her new music self-indulgent, scattered, and short of the mark. But I'd have to confess that I also focus mostly on her 1970-76 period. Most fans do, too, I guess. (OK, not you, superfan. I'm sure that your love of Dog Eat Dog is pure.) I still have some trouble with The Hissing of Summer Lawns, but everything else in her heyday is easy to love. From her later years, I like Night Ride Home best. It sounds like the record that you would have expected to come after Hejira.

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Night Ride Home is easily her best post-Mingus record. But there are moments of brilliance scattered throughout all of those records which leave you wondering why she didn't cut more material like that and less material like "Man To Man" or other not-particularly memorable bits of datedly-produced dross. Like the haunting, techno-Hejira-esque "My Secret Place" off of Chalk Mark, or the smartly nostalgic "Yvette In English", co-written with Croz, on Indigo.

frightwigwam likes this.
  10. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

1/ Heijira
    2/ For The Roses
    3/ Hissing Of Summer Lawns
    4/ Blue
    5/ Ladies Of The Canyon

sunspot42 and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  11. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

1. Shadows And Light - wotta band, superbly recorded and wonderfully performed. Get the 2cd set
    2. Hejira
    Ordered Hissing Of Summer Lawns and Blue - can’t wait.

SinisterGinger likes this.
  12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Shadows and Light

13. Christian Evans

Christian Evans Forum Resident

Hejira and Mingus for me. I have a problem with Blue, I love the songs but not when she goes to a high pitched voice.

Damiano54 likes this.
  14. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Good to see this thread alive again. I flicked through it all, and just about every album gets a mention. I love virtually all of her recordings, but the one I want to listen to the most is Dog Eat Dog. Maybe it's the times we're living through.

15. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Shine has been on heavy rotation again. Returned to Miles Of Aisles this week, played through the new mix of Seagull, and even spun Chalk Mark. Four completely different albums. One genius.

Ron P. and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  16. morelikespace

morelikespace Forum Resident

1/ The Hissing of Summer Lawns -- sublime piece of music that perfectly combines lyrical ambition with music adventurism.
    2/ Hejira -- Lyrically dense, nine individual stories set to music, like a book of short stories but with music that floats
    3/ Don Juan's Reckless Daughter -- musically quite minimalistic (with mostly two or three instruments) but Jaco's bass makes the sound huge and cavernous

Also, ranking in the classic and brilliant category: Blue, Court and Spark, Dog Eat Dog

And for my money, she released one of the best live albums of all time by a pop/rock act, Shadows and Light.

Ron P. and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  17. miinsane

miinsane Forum Resident

As much as I love "Blue", I gotta go with "Ladies Of The Canyon". Currently spinning it in my car. Not a bad track on the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.