Best Lineup of the Black Crowes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crossfire#3, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

more than a couple over the near-twenty five years, so it's worth pondering...my money goes to Warpaint ensemble with Dickinson, Pipien, Gorman and the Robinsons

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

For me, no Steve Gorman = no Black Crowes.
    That guy is absolutely magnificent.

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

He was the only constant besides the Robinsons, no?

For me either the Warpaint/Before the Frost lineup, or the Southern Harmony/Amorica lineup. I like all of their stuff but the Lions-era lineup is probably my least favorite

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

When The Black Crowes reformed for a bunch of shows in NYC in early 2005, Steve Gorman was nowhere to be found. And for all he first time ever, for me, The Black Crowes sucked. Bad.

Gorman was back in two weeks later.

Christopher B and DrBeatle like this.
  6. DrBeatle

Was that when he was subbing for the Stereophonics when they were between drummers?

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Funny i love that lions album & Line-up :laugh: that said there are plenty of other great versions of the band /albums for sure ... somehow that whole album connected with me a lot .

That's what makes us humans i guess ............

pexie and DrBeatle like this.
  8. DrBeatle

I like Lions, don't get me wrong! But something about Audley Freed just didn't click with me. He's damn good but he was a bit too "shreddy" for my tastes, at least for the Crowes.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  9. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Warpaint/Before lineup was the best. I still listen to those albums all the time.

DrBeatle likes this.
  10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I don't know about that.
    I do know that these shows I mentioned were their "reunion" shows held at The Hammerstein Ballroom IIRC, and Goeman was not listed in the lineup nor was he at the show. I can't remember who the drummer was, but he really wasn't very good, sadly. Rich Robinson re-started two songs already in progress onstage due to what I assume was the drummer not getting something right.

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

... And those are my least favorite Crowes albums. It's funny how that works out. My favorite is BY YOUR SIDE. The live album(s) with Jimmy Page is/are fantastic. (There are at least two different versions with extra songs that were released.)

12. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Steve is one bada** drummer, no doubt. A few years ago he filled in on drums for Jason and the Scorchers in a little shelter house at a city park in Carbondale, IL. I told him that night that I never dreamed I'd see a combination of 2 of my all-time favorite bands. That one was killer show.

The Killer and rstamberg like this.
  13. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

The material has a big part to play in this - I prefer the Warpaint era material more than any other, but that Southern Harmony/Amorica lineup is THE one, for me.

Should make this a poll...

mark renard likes this.
  14. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

I liked the Marc Ford era (92-97, 2005-2006) the best. For some reason his style sorta reminded me of the Stones' Taylor golden years.

15. Crossfire#3

Correctimundo!...Saw one of the Mr Crowes Garden shows a few years ago and the drummer did not know the material (and the volume BLARED all evening)

rstamberg likes this.
  16. Crossfire#3

Poll would be good but wondering if we restrict to lineups that were officially recorded: ...Andy Hess (Mule, Scofield) was in the band at one point around 2001 but not credited on the album of the time Lions

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  17. Agreed. Dude's a monster on the kit & grooves so hard it's ridiculous.

18. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Southern Harmony/Amorica lineup for me!!

19. Sorry, what does this mean?

20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Luther was probably the best lead guitarist they ever had, but they couldn't write a single truly great song during his tenure in the band. Would've loved to hear what he'd have done if he'd been around for Southern Harmony and Amorica. The 1992-94 lineup wins, just because it produced their two best albums. I also really liked the 1999-2001 lineup with Audley Freed, just because they were promoting two pretty hard-rocking LP's during that era.

21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think they played a few low-key warmup shows as Mr. Crowes Garden in 2005 without Gorman, and by most accounts, they were a disaster, which is how he ended up back in the band so quickly.

22. I didn't realize they went out as Mr. Crowes Garden upon reuniting, but the name of the drummer that everyone wishes to forget is Bill Dobrow.

highway chile likes this.
  23. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

As a hardcore Crowes fan, I vote strongly for the '92-'97 line-up: C-Rob & R-Rob with Steve Gorman (drums), Johnny Colt (bass), Ed on the keys, and the ultimate Crowes weapon on lead guitar - Marc Ford.

I'd put that line-up with some of the best rock bands ever. And I don't say that flippantly. That band was unreal.

24. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Steve Gorman is essential. Ed Harsch is nearly so. Beyond that, as long as Chris and Rich are also part of the line-up, I'm happy. :)

Christopher B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.