Best live albums from the 60s and 70s for sound quality?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

Electrifying live performance AND great sonics?

[​IMG]

Cameron.39, jay.dee and seaisletim like this.
  2. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

Sonics not quite as good as Made In Japan, but performances more inspired and on fire (in my opinion):

[​IMG]

3. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

801 live
    Mixed direct to board
    Stunning

jay.dee and notesofachord like this.
  4. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

Carnegie Hall (1971) - Frank Zappa

released in 2011, but a great recording of an amazing performance.

jay.dee likes this.
  5. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I believe Duane Allman played on that Aretha record too, no?

6. T-Bird

T-Bird Forum Resident

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Van Morrison's It's Too Late To Stop Now sounds amazing to me, at least the original LP. And perhaps one of the few live albums that seems fairly free from studio post-production tinkering.

jay.dee and notesofachord like this.
  8. Big Train

Big Train Forum Resident

Beach Boys, "Live In London"

Cameron.39 likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hey, they stole this song from ZZ Top. Bastards.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Beck Bogert Appice - Live in Japan - Sonics are stellar.

Recorded Live At Newport In New York - Various Artists 1974 Buddah - BDS 5616 Recorded June 28 to July 8, 1973. (love the live sound on Ray Charles - "Every Saturday Night" here in particular.)

Neil Young - Time Fades Away. I'm not a major fan of this album like some are, like the material well enough, but for me the main attraction is the sound. Even if I am not blown away by the opening track, I'm hooked by the mix and general quality. It's got a rock solid groove going quickly and it sounds wonderful.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Dull as dishwater on LP - a murky mix, but at least it's not rerecorded in the studio, and some of the material does cook. Recent CD helps things a bit, but no, I would not rate it in the top 300 if judging on sound quality.

Cassius and theMess like this.
  12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

And they both "borrowed" it from John Lee Hooker.:uhhuh:

Jazzmonkie and seaisletim like this.
  13. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

And, there's nothing wrong with that.

Of course unless Jimmy Page does it, in which case it becomes an abomination.

ianuaditis and Stone Turntable like this.
  14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I also respectfully disagree - the recording is superb and the performances fabulous. The MoFi double CD is even better sound than either the original Warners. The Rhino double CD is excellent sound, but has soon many bonus tracks it comparably great sound that it is literally a winner.
    Performance: Rockin' The Fillmore is another great album - recording and performances. The expanded Omnivore box set is essential - more of the same.
    Live At The Fillmore - Allman Brothers Band - another gem due to coincident amazing performances recorded well.
    Live At The Fillmore East - Ten Years After - well captured by Eddie Kramer.
    Band Of Gypsys - the Experience Hendrix version is in wonderful fidelity with the absolutely jaw dropping Machine Gun, and the funky Who Knows as two of my highlights.
    It's Too Late To Stop Now - Van Morrison - Van and the band precisely recorded at the absolute peak - talk about telepathic and happy.

The following albums mentioned previously may belong in a "great albums" list, but shouldn't even be even close to an excellent sound quality list:
    Live Cream Vol. 2 - Cream - the sound quality here is just mediocre, and some of the tracks sound better mixed on the "Those Were The Days" 4CD set. However, none is particularly excellent.
    Yessongs - Yes doesn't belong in a great recording quality list anywhere. It sounds like a blurred photo would - kind of unfocused, and rolled off in both top and bottom ends.
    Hard Rain - Bob Dylan - c'mon!!!! Surely that's a joke. It's terrible. Try the Bootleg Series Vol. 5 for a far better sounding set

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    alchemy, vegafleet, Cassius and 3 others like this.
  15. Pete Seeger - The complete Live at Bowdoin concert. Simply unreal how good that sounds. Makes you wonder what the heck went wrong with so many live recordings in the following years.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  16. Nearly everything Shin did or produced for others sounds like crap these days because the government burned all his master tapes back in the day. So very lame.

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The first Hot Tuna acoustic album was recorded well.

18. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

My favorite live albums would be
    Yessongs
    Waiting for Columbus
    And for the best for sound its gotta be Joni Mitchell and the LA Express "Miles of Aisles".Great recording.Fantastic horns.And her version of "Blue" on this disc is my favorite.

alchemy, Damiano54 and Trevor_Bartram like this.
  19. misko

misko Forum Resident

And Jerry Lee is backed by The Nashville teens!

Bowland likes this.
  20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Bill Withers at Carnegie Hall... great performance and great sound. Best pressing: MFSL LP or SACD.

jay.dee likes this.
  21. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Earth Wind & Fire "Gratitude"
    Supertramp "Paris"
    Weather Report "8:30"

22. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Terrible. At least the original vinyl did, which is unfortunate as the performance was stellar.

Add Fleetwood Mac, Live at the Boston Tea Party as one of my favorite live recordings of the day.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    jay.dee and theMess like this.
  23. T-Bird

T-Bird Forum Resident

24. George P

George P Notable Member

So the sound on the original WB CD is as good as, or close to as good as, the DCC CD?

25. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

If Made In Japan is your all-time favorite album, you may want to consider the DCC. Other than that, the regular US WB sounds very, very good. But stay away from the UK EMI CD - it sounds like they used a source a few generations removed from the one WB had access to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.