Which "Kind of Blue" is Best?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stever, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

All I have is the Sony Mastersound Gold CD and the Sony remastered CD. I would like a vinyl copy but, my God, which one? Or should I just spend $20 on the SACD? (It's stereo, not multichannel, right?)

Thanx in advance.

2. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

The SACD KOB is multi-channel, and what's worse, I don't think it sounds as good as it could. I have only, however, listened to it in Stereo. Jeff

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The multi-channel could have been skipped, IMHO. But the stereo layer of the SACD is best among everything I've listened to.

ClassicRecs did a good job with the 180 Quiex. PLEASE don't try the 180g Columbia tried doing. A wreck.

4. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

What's weird about the multi-channel KOB is that once or twice I have accidentally played it (my SACD defaults to MC) and then it really sounds odd. Is the Classic one the 45? Jeff

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I don't own the 45, but I was lucky enough to listen to it. I think the 45 was amazing, but it's now almost impossible to find, and afford. The 33.3 Quiex is great, and should be still available, if not, on 200g at least.

But I've listened to almost every issue, at least that's common, and the SACD is best, IMHO. You can change most Sony SACDs to play stereo layers "default" rather than go after the mCh, which is factory default in most.

6. floyd

floyd Senior Member

There are two Kind of Blue SACD s. One is just stereo and the other is Multichannel with stereo. I can only assume the stereo layer is the same on both.

7. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see the point in doing a 5-channel mix from a 3-track master that was originally meant to be heard in mono.

I heard a few minutes of it at a stereo shop a few months ago where they were using it to demo a mulitchannel system. The rear channels have only a bit of reverb. Needless to say, the prospective customers were not particularly impressed.

Octavian likes this.
  8. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Classic Records has issued KOB on vinyl so many times. They started with a 2-LP set (Side 1 appears in both original and "speed-corrected" forms, and Side 4 contains the alternate take of "Flamenco Sketches" at 45rpm). Later, they did a single LP in 180gm, 200gm, and blue-vinyl editions, and they also did the 45rpm set. Of these, only the 200gm single LP is still in print (though the limited-edition blue vinyl ones may still be floating around too, I don't know).

I have the 2-LP version from Classic, and I think it's excellent. I like the SACD a lot too (I have the multichannel/stereo version but can only listen to the stereo). But overall my favorite copy is my mono 6-eye Columbia LP, which blows away everything else quite handily, IMO. They usually don't go cheap in good shape, though, especially on eBay ... I got lucky though and found mine, just shy of NM condition, for $24.99 at Looney Tunes in Boston. (Great store for jazz on vinyl!) Worth every penny and then some.

9. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

10. JPartyka

Couldn't tell you, 'cause I've only heard the 2-LP 180gm one that I have ... If your TT can handle 200gm records well, that one's probably easiest to find and afford (though there have been reports of ticks and pops plaguing that particular issue). If not, maybe you can hunt down a used 180gm Classic somewhere. I see the 2-LP one on eBay occasionally (goes for big bucks, though).

11. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I'm not set up for multichannel sacd, but I was under the impression that the multi channel KOB is the three track master (l, c, r) with subtle reverb added to the rears.

Also, I don't think KOB was meant to be heard in mono.

12. ATR

ATR Senior Member

We just did a thread on this. It was generally agreed that the mid-price remastered speed corrected red book CD with the alternate take of Flamenco Sketches is the best version. I don't think anyone preferred a vinyl edition. Although there is a subtle difference in the mastering of the mastersound gold disc, it's the first speed corrected version and also sounds good, but doesn't have the alternate take. Opinion was divided on whether the multichannel SACD is an improvement sonically. There's nothing happening in the rear to speak of, it's all center channel and mostly bass fiddle. I'm sticking with my mastersound gold.

13. JPartyka

Have you heard the mono 6-eye? Based on your comment, I'd be surprised if you have ...

I do. The remastered CD and SACD are both very good, but my own personal preference is for the 6-eye LP. YMMV and all the rest ...

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The mono 6-eye kicks butt, although the modern remastered redbook CD is the keeper here.

lemonade kid likes this.
  15. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

I've heard the multi-channel mix of Kind of Blue and thought it was fantastic, and I usually HATE multi-channel remixes. Outside of one or two minor rear-to-front pans, it sounded like enhanced stereo. In fact, I thought I was listening to a stereo mix at first. Definitely NOT a disc for demoing MC to Joe Public. The surrounds merely added ambience, and the MC mix mainly just seemed to provide much better stereo imaging and a deeper soundstage than the stereo version. Most of the time I wasn't even aware the surrounds were there. (Which is what I think MC OUGHT to sound like.) It was very close to the sound of live music. However, I heard the disc demoed on a Sony SACDAX777ES through about $40K worth of surround equipment in a VERY comfortable and quiet sound room, which could have made a difference.

16. Bob Donnelly

Bob Donnelly Senior Member

On LP: the "360 sound" two eye. On cd The "Legacy series" budget cd. If you like the early CBS gold cd, I'd say your system needs work or you need to try the above mentioned cd. All IMHO!!

17. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Is this the same version as on the Complete Miles and Coltrane Columbia boxset? I'd assume so, but you never know.

18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I have the standard remaster CD and the 200g Classic vinyl, love them both but I'm still annoyed at the weight and price gain of Classic's products.

BTW, a recent update from Classic listed KOB coming out yet AGAIN, this time on 180g blue vinyl.
    Ugh!
    Dan C

19. nin

nin Forum Resident

I remember Hifi+ magazine did a test with KoB on a hifi show in UK.
    The CD (Sony M), SACD and the 180 Gram vinyl. Most people preferred the vinyl version. But, as always, it's a matter of taste.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Classic Records 2 LP set sounds fine to me... great music... good sound!

21. Bob Donnelly

Bob Donnelly Senior Member

Don't you all find the classic boomy in the bass?

22. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I hear YA! DITTO!

23. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Senior Member

I have both the 33 & 45 Classic reissues. Great reissues. I have the 6 eye mono also - while it sounds good, the Classic is the one I listen to most. What a great album in any format!!

24. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Classic 200 g vinyl is fine - fairly smooth and warm, and I did not notice any surface noise.

I would stay away from the Sony Mastersound gold KoB unless you can get it cheap. For the kind of money it may command today, it is really nothing special.

25. nin

nin Forum Resident

I have the 2-LP set from Classic and it's great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.