Best mastering of the original mono 45 mix of Del Shannon's "Runaway"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

I did a search and the best I could find were two CD's:

1) Rhino's old 20-track compilation that used the original master tapes for the very first time. All of the original mono mixes, courtesy of Bill Ingot who found the tapes

2) A Time-Life CD compilation of that year in music where the mastering of that song apparently sounds more "neutral" than the Rhino CD. I don't know if they used the same master tape, but the description makes me wonder if the Rhino CD has been thinned out by a top heavy EQ setting that should be reversed.

Are there better alternatives? Or is the Time-Life CD the best? (Or if the Rhino CD is actually better - say, the Time-Life CD didn't use the original master - it's a case where one should get the Rhino CD and do some EQ work?)

2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Runaway" sounds pretty good on one of the old Time Life "Rock 'n Roll Era" CDs.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  3. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Please forgive this question from a decided non-expert, but the version of 'Runaway' oh the 1993 Dan Hersch/Bill Inglot-remastered 'American Graffiti' soundtrack sounds great to me. But while it's obviously mono, I'm guessing it's not the 'original mix' you mention. Correct? Love the song and would be glad to hear any history on this!

lbangs likes this.
  4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I second this, never had a complaint about the mastering on this series of compilations.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  5. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

If Inglot remastered it, it's most likely the original mix!

7. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member

The Rhino one sounds fine to me. Bought it a few months ago. Love the fact it's all mono!

Spazaru likes this.
  8. Altharic

Altharic Member

What does the cover of the rhino cd look like?

9. Better late than never:
    [​IMG]

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For me, the best sounding mastering is the cleanest Big Top 45 you can find. The Time-Life or Rhino CD the best digital

onlyacanvasky and john lennonist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.