Best MC cartridge ~1000USD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oskar, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I can’t see how you would get any sonic benefit from the screw type, but it’s amazing how the right hardware makes it so much easier to install. And, this is what might make a sonic difference in hindsite: I think one would let a very small installation element slip by without more refined fine tuning if you knew it was going to be a huge hassle to loosen it up to make that hairline difference. If the hardware makes it a snap, one may be more likely to go that extra 5% and that can make a difference! And, a lot of people here encourage one to to experiment a bit. You just aren’t going to feel as up to that if it’s a big hassle to go through the process. You guys can laugh, but it used to take me 2 to 2 1/2 hours to install a cartridge on my Prime table. What a tedious process. The correct screws and hardware that came with the Soundsmith had me up and listening in about 20 minutes, and it was a pleasure to install, and I got it right the first time!

One last thing: I got my Soundsmith on sale for $999, one buck under the budget on this thread. I’ve learned by reading this that all the cartridges can be good in that range; it really depends on the listener and what they want to hear. In other words, it’s so subjective! I would love to say that I can’t imagine every finding a cartridge to sound even close to what I finally stayed with, after buying the EV33, ART 9 and some less expensive models. For me, since I actually tried some that you guys are loving, but that I didn’t, it’s a true statement. But I have no doubt that the EV33 and ART 9 are the right cartridges for you guys because you like them! The Soundsmith was on sale, and it’s normally $1500, so perhaps it is supposed to be a bit better, but I’ve also discovered paying more doesn’t always mean something will sound better...far from true. However, that isn’t the point. It’s great to see all those options out there, and that in the right situation and listener, they are all good options. Choice is awesome!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The benefits of using allen bolts is purely ease of installation. Plus fine adjustment for correct alignment is far easier. The nylon washers are murder and apart from my ability to see them if you drop them on the carpet good luck finding them.

3. oskar

oskar Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well idk. The brass screws are about 4g that's almost 50% weight of the cartridge, nylon screws ale 0,5g. I think it can make a difference. Especially with the woolly bas that i am experiencing, maybe being the result of tone arm and cartridge compliance mismatch. Nobody else seems to experience muddy bas on this cartridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.