Best New Album of 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gaslight, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

At this moment in time my vote goes for Not to Disappear by Daughter.

ramdom likes this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

This is a little more like what I was expecting to read, from the Line of Best Fit today ... Say hello to Yeasayer’s best work to date »

3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Just caught onto these guys last week w SXSW. They are SO up my alley.

I was able to snag EP III for $7 and EP I for $20 but haven't been able to find EP II for less than $40 which is just no bueno. I might try to find the CD that combines the first 2 EPs because I can't seem to locate all the material online.

Anyhow, I give these guys a big thumbs up. They rock hard, have great melodies, DIY work ethic ... my best new band find of 2016 so far.

mschrist likes this.
  4. Davey

New Laura Gibson Empire Builder record is sounding pretty nice right now ... released yesterday on the little Barsuk label so destined to go by without much notice, shame really, warrants more discussion, produced (along with Laura) by John Askew (see Delines, Richmond Fontaine, Neko Case, Tracker, etc threads) ...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  5. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

The Charles Bradley album, "Changes", is a nice throwback--I've been enjoying the stream at NPR First Listen all week. The "Changes" is indeed the Black Sabbath song, which he covers, and it's good.

6. [​IMG]
    I have absolutely no idea what the best new album of 2016 is but I really like this one. This band is a class act.

segue, harrisr4 and kman like this.
  7. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

With the first quarter of the year in the books, I thought I'd update my list:

1) David Bowie - Blackstar
    2) Diiv - Is the Are Is
    3) Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
    4) Last Shadow Puppets - Everything You've Come to Expect
    5) Heron Oblivion - Heron Oblivion

8. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

Autolux- *****'s Dead
    nice vibe, great album name..

BeauZooka and mpayan like this.
  9. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

Gosh I have fewer 2016 releases than I thought, 6 that I own and 11 more I have heard.

so super early, but I like

Conrad Keeley - Original Machines, Bob Mould - Patch The Sky, Parquet Courts -Human Performance, Hammock - Everything and Nothing, Zun - Burial Sunrise, and Lucinda Williams - The Ghosts of Highway 20

so far

michanes likes this.
  10. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

http://www.*******.eu/uploads/posts/2016-03/1456837497_front.jpg

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm pretty pleased with the 1st quarter of 2016 for new music. I've got a nice blend of new music by new artists going and I'm really enjoying the Aubrey Sellers debut. The contrast of her traditional country voice against some pretty kick guitars screeching behind her is very interesting.

12. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Bowie - Blackstar

If I HAD to pick another, new Explosions in the Sky

segue likes this.
  13. Sander

Sander Senior Member

So far:

- David Bowie - Blackstar
    - Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered
    - Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
    - Adrian Younge - Something About April II

14. Davey

This one sounds like it will be fun based on the couple songs I've heard, Sam Beam and Jesca Hoop, lot of new stuff coming out on Apr 15 ...

15. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

So far, I'm pretty impressed with 2016. Obviously blackstar is right up there followed by iggy but the one I'm listening to the most at the moment is yeasayer. It's a superb album and I can't get enough of it. Black mountain is pretty good too but I'm not listening to it as much as I should thanks to yeasayer.

Davey likes this.
  16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The album I've probably listened to the most this year is Tonbrucket - Forevergreens.

gingerly, Jimbo912 and Laibach like this.
  17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Another that I've listened to three times now even though I bought it this week is Wacław Zimpel - Lines

footlooseman likes this.
  18. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Right, just got redirected here by the pedantic on the 2015 thread. I think Mogwai is the best album so far in 2016. Followed by PJ Harvey.

19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑ Thread Starter

Did the new PJ Harvey album leak?

20. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

It's out, and it's a contender. The Deftones keep doing it as they get older, and this one feels like the White Pony of this lineup. Love it.

[​IMG]

CrewU likes this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑ Thread Starter

I've heard the PJ Harvey singles and I really like what I've heard so far - I might consider a pre-order on that one. Haven't found any leak yet.

Deftones one I need to give some time to this weekend. March / April has been a monster with new music releases. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

22. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Wow, I didn't know there was a new Tonbrucket record out. Thanks for the headsup. Dig It To The End is one of my favourite contemporary jazz records, especially the opening track 'Vinegar Heart'.

23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

This is the first time I've heard of them. I'll be looking into their back catalog.

24. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Not sure yet...especially since there are still several interesting titles on the way (including a new Big Big Train release).

A few contenders:

Haken - Affinity
    Oceans of Slumber - Winter
    N.y.X. - The News
    Ihsahn - Arktis.

25. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

The band are an off-shoot from the unbelievable Esbjon Svensson Trio, which ended following Svensson's untimely death. I would also recommend the two Magnus Ostrom records, especially 'Searching For Jupiter'.

dZp and Laibach like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.