Best New Albums of 2017 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

So you seem to agree with me in some respect, but other posters don't. I'm not sure what to make of that. You should have some weight, being the thread starter.

2. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Tagging on to this, and clearly, IMHO.
    I would expect that people post about a new album(not single) which they have listened to completely and would count on their " BEST OF THE YEAR" list. I don't care what you think might turn out to be a great album, if you haven't heard it yet.

Of course, that is only my opinion. Feel free to do whatever and be whatever.

ETA: forgot to add, the album should be an album from 2017, of course.

JL6161 likes this.
  3. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

I personally think everyone who is making a big deal over it is overthinking it. It's about the music - if you're really looking forward to a new album and expect it to be good, by all means, post it here! However, make sure to note that it is not out yet, and you're just anticipating the album, and, even better, tell us what you think when it comes out, quoting your original message. I think that's what most people were doing in last year's thread, and it turned out fine.

4. Johnny Reb

I think it's fine if people talk about upcoming music - as long as they mention that it's not out yet. I strongly dislike it when people pop into the thread to simply list an album that's not out yet, without any text about why they posted it or anything.

JoeRockhead and Holy Joe like this.
  5. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

DJ does say when things come out, but not always. Much of what he has said lately has been Feb.-March release dates, and a few in late January.

My M.O. usually is only to buy something if I am think I'm gojng to be completely blown away based on what I have already heard. As mentioned earlier I will be getting CDs of the month from two different stations all year. WRT complete albums, I have neither bought anything, nor received anything, nor streamed anything yet. As a result, going forward I'll be rather reserved in what I post, at least at first, for those reasons. There are many things I like but relatively few things I love.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

nothing of consequence has been released yet in 2017....and sadly, not much on the horizon either.

'tango" opened things up, a bit.

7. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

B.O.D.M.W.Y.T.I.M. *. By Tee & The Moores is sounding very entertaining so far in 2017.

*Full Title= Bowing Out Doesn't Mean What You Think It Means

8. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm sorry I know you are the thread starter but your topic is Best New Albums of 2017. There exists another thread regarding anticipated releases. The "What if" thread topic I mentioned was non-specific as in the many threads that are started based on what if this happens and what if that had happened. In my opinion posting comments only on some song or a couple of songs is not on topic and generally would be referred to as threadcrapping.

I find the specific topic interesting and members input very interesting. I believe I got at least 10 new releases in 2016 based on other members Album recommendations. The little incomplete side notes are excess filler to me. I don't believe I am over thinking anything. I know that the thread or would have expected the thread would pick up more steam as the year progressed and more releases occurred. Long threads can be difficult to follow and keep up on when there is so much information posted (very helpful information) so when information fills the posts that in my opinion goes off topic it can take away from the enjoyment of the main subject.

But then again my little rant is in its own way is threadcrapping and for that I apologize to you the OP and will discontinue my comments along this line and hope the thread is as successful as those in the past and music I learn of from other members is as enjoyable.

Whirl-Fred and JL6161 like this.
  9. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Apocalypse Now - Francine Doesn't Shave.
    April 3rd release.

10. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Eno - Reflection
    Bowie - No Plan

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Michael Chapman (w Steve Gunn) - 50 (official release Jan 20, though tracks are out there)

12. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Seriously? An April 3rd release is one of the best albums of 2017 on January 15? Excuse me while I bang my head on my desk until I induce a cerebral hemorrhage.

13. Jwag1

Jwag1 Forum Resident

I'll vote for Dropkick Murphys-11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory. Came out last week. Been listening to it practically every day.

14. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

They probably thought this was the Anticipated Albums of 2017 thread.

mwheelerk likes this.
  15. Holy Joe

Holy Joe Forum Resident

My opinion is that you've done nothing wrong and you should post when and where you choose to. You're clearly enthusiastic and not trying to derail anything.

16. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Enjoying Eno's new one, though now I'm kicking myself for not getting the app instead...seems to fit the intention of the work much better.

Really looking forward to new St Vincent and Julia Holter. Lee Ranaldo's new one (Electric Trim) sounds very promising, though Matador have pushed its release out again - May 2017. :disgust:

My recent passage into the world of Spotify is coughing up all manner of wonderful stuff - a great method for discovering new artists (Amen Dunes, Hiss Golden Messenger, Carla Del Forno.) Here's to what I'm sure will be a great year! :pineapple:

Crazyhorse11, Robert C and jmj190 like this.
  17. Johnny Reb

This gets discussed every year at the beginning of a new thread. I (personally) think it's fine, as long as people show some restraint about it.

18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

19. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Julia Byrne - Not Even Happiness. Singer-songwriter. Wonderful voice. Great album.

20. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Of the few 2017 albums I've heard so far, the new Flaming Lips is my favorite.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and scompton like this.
  21. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Heard Orange Color Queen a while ago, and it's a cool song. :thumbsup: Really looking forward to the album!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  22. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Looking forward to a new album from Gabrielle Aplin.

23. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

24. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Okay.

Please refer to my latest post before this one, in which I said I'd refrain from posting here until I had more complete info. But I must say I find the stuffiness a bit offputting.

scotth likes this.
  25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's the first thing I've heard by the Flaming Lips that I like. I'll admit, I haven't heard much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.