Best New Albums of 2017 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

So here is a guy who has been around since 69 and apparently well thought of yet I'm a guy who thinks of himself as having pretty good knowledge of music of that time and I don't know anything about him. How does that happen. In any case this is the first recommendation of the year that goes on my list to purchase.

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

If you enjoy this and want to explore further... check out "Fully Qualified Survivor". It is a classic album with Michael at the peak of his song-writing powers (not that he's lost much... if anything at all). If you like finger-style guitar, the album before this one "Fish" is a very very good instrumental acoustic guitar album (no vocals). There are so many 'sides' to Michael there is something out there for everyone...

3. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Liking both the Austra and Drab Majesty albums mentioned by RobertZombie, I’d not heard these before…
    Sacred Paws just released their debut on Mogwai’s lable called ‘Strike A Match’ Sounds really great on Vinyl too.

4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Sacred Paws are in my Discover Weekly playlist, looking forward to listening to the album!

Mintsauce likes this.
  5. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Delicate Steve's new one, This Is Steve, is reliably great. Every album leaves you wanting more.

6. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Their '6 Songs' EP from 2015 is really worth a listen if you like this.

7. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

There are two albums I've heard so far that I really like.

The first is the new Xandria album, Theater of Dimensions. It won't be for everyone but if you like symphonic metal you may like it

The second is Cut Against the Grain by Aaron Keylock. If you like your bluesy hard rock grooves you may like this one. The kid can really play guitar too. The song writing may be immature at times but he's a teenager.

Aaron Keylock - Against The Grain (Official Lyric Video) »

8. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

:righton:The Sacred Paws is probably my second favorite 2017 album right now. Great debut!

Mintsauce likes this.
  9. For me Flaming Lips so far.

10. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Ditto for me. I heard a track from that album on a radio show, heard the DJ mention how long he'd been around, and had the same reaction as you.

11. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

So far it's been a good year....i'm really enjoying these LP's:
    Ryan Adams - Prisoner
    The XX - I See You
    Ty Segall - (self titled)
    SOHN - Rennen (sooooo good!)
    David Bowie - No Plan (ep)
    Bonobo - Migration

LivingForever and Robert C like this.
  12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Light In The Attic Records have done a nice job of reissuing most of his classic albums so if the new one grabs you and you want to go back to his heyday that's a good place to start.

drasil and cgoodwin22 like this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The new Cloud Nothings shot up pretty fast for me. Loving this album!

JL6161, cevans121 and muddy810 like this.
  14. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I've never heard of him either, but near the end of a play through and I've rather enjoyed it! That's three new ones for me today from this thread!

Robert C likes this.
  15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Okay, I'm very happy with it. Yes it is the only album from 2017 I have but until something comes along to knock it down a notch

• Michael Chapman - 50
    I've got my eye on my second title for 17

16. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I dig this, thanks for sharing! :righton:

Robert C likes this.
  17. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I can't stop listening to the new album by The XX. Being that it's the only 2017 release I've heard I'm reluctant to call it "the best" but it's certainly in contention. I plan on grabbing the new Cloud Nothings this week.

moj and noname74 like this.
  18. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Jim O'Rourke & Kassel Jaeger's Wakes on Cerulean. Not even officially out yet but still the finest music released this year. Amazing stuff !

19. jmj190

jmj190 Forum Resident

Only heard the one track so far , looking forward to hearing some more . Coco Holmes , has a 60s feel to it , not so surprising when she cites growing up listening to Dusty Springfield, Patsy Cline & Bobbie Gentry among others , probably The Shangri-Las going by this track . Released on 31st March

I Do Love You - Coco Holmes

ramdom, JoeRockhead and Johnny Reb like this.
  20. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

That's a great suggestion. I saw Steve open for Omar Rodriguez Lopez a few years ago and was blown away - a fantastically uplifting concert. I really must check out his new album. I wonder if it contains that wonderful Mike Oldfield guitar sound he did in Flyin' High :cool:

RTJ3 also has to be the 2017 album that has really grabbed me so far, but there's bound to be others on the horizon (e.g. Chromatics, Beach House, Pallbearer...)

whisper3978 likes this.
  21. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

Wow. I'd never heard of her before, but that is great! I'm going to have to look up some more by her.

22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

She must have been listening to a lot of Neko Case since she was with The Ettes.

23. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Really enjoying the new Ulrich Schnauss and Jonas Munk album at the moment.

Retrovertigo likes this.
  24. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Link?
    Thank you

25. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Here's the first track, not necessarily the best but you get the idea. It's a bit shoegaze-y, bit ambient-y, bit guitarry, quite synthy...

Not sure I like it as much as Ulrich's last album but it's growing on me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.