Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Indeed... I've been listening to it a lot the past few days. Very enjoyable.

GuidedByJonO))) and rob68 like this.
  2. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Dynamite electro-pop: Pastel Ghost - Ethereality.

Cal Cypher likes this.
  3. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Just had one listen of Hen Ogledd (Richard Dawson and friends) - Mogic. Its very different to Richard's solo stuff but still very good
    Also enjoying the new Thom Yorke album Suspiria.

4. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Rob Bonfiglio "Trouble Again"

5. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

The whole album is full of great tunes like this!

Bevok likes this.
  6. Shanaya

Shanaya Well-Known Member

I'm so eagerly waiting for Alice Merton's 'Mint'. His voice is one of the best I've come across. You can check his songs, they're very good.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Mumbai?! How did you find us?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

As to Muse, I wasn’t impressed by the other tracks I heard (a little gaudy and simple production for my taste though it worked for me on Void as it reminded me of M83 at its most bombastic and the sound palate suited that song), though the vocalist is talented. For instance that new Bluetech album called Liquid Geometries is an example of electronic musical composition that has intricacy, which is what Muse is lacking, in my humble opinion.

Speaking of world music, this Venezuelan ex-pat group in Paris dropped a next level jazz-avante-folk album.

[​IMG]

La Candela del Río, by Insólito UniVerso

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  9. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Oh? Is this out in the world? I was really looking forward to that and was really bummed when they announced the break-up and its shelving.

10. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but I've only just recently discovered Masana Temples, by Kikagaku Moyo/幾何学模様

I'm not sure how to describe it...serene psychedelic rock? Whatever it is, I'm digging it. Give it a listen.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Yea, they've got a pretty good following here along with their sister band Minami Deutsch, so have gotten a few mentions. Both have some psych and kosmische goodness.

12. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Put this album on your new album release calendar (early January), it’s the debut from Thailand psych rockers Khana Bierbood. The production duties were handled by Go Kurasawa of Kikagaku Moyo.

Cal Cypher and tap like this.
  13. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

“Compiled by cratediggers Loud E & The Wild, 'Discophilia Belgica' is released 16th November and is a collection of next-door-disco and local spacemusic from Belgium 1975-1987. The tracks on this delightfully obscure collection are from ordinary folk. Most have day jobs. Yet as musicians, they go as far out as possible in to the disco universe and back again. Not too serious or overambitious and definitely not overproduced. This is stripped down space music. This is next door disco.

The choice of music is not a reflection of an actual 'scene'. In fact, most of the bands here have probably never performed live. The 30 tracks on this compilation are the result of a decade of crate digging in flea markets, charity shops, and vinyl trades and picking out what might appeal to a contemporary dancefloor or just to our deranged and perhaps adventurous earbuds.“

[​IMG]

https://sdbanrecords.bandcamp.com/album/various-artists-discophilia-belgica-next-door-disco-local-spacemusic-from-belgium-1975-1987

Cal Cypher and johnnypaddock like this.
  14. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

A posthumous release of unheard tracks made by one of soul’s all-time greats. It features new songs recorded during the sessions from each of his three albums...” Fantastic cover of ‘Heart of Gold.’

[​IMG]

Black Velvet, by Charles Bradley

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    BD2665, Myke Reid and tap like this.
  15. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    TheWickerMan likes this.
  16. Moth

Moth fluttering by

One of my favorite albums that's flying under the radar this year is The Spirit of the Beehive's Hypnic Jerks.

creepy weirdo and Ironclaw like this.
  17. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Very nice!

Moth likes this.
  18. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

This is perhaps the electronic album of the year. Made entirely with modular electronics.

“I really wanted to break free from timeline-based music creation and do things with my hands on the fly,” he explains. “So the tracks are more like captured snapshot performances where I could experiment and play around with the idea of probability-based sequencing for every patch, string multiple sequencers together that would feed other sequencers to come up with interesting rhythms and melodies..”

[​IMG]

https://richarddevine.bandcamp.com/album/sort-lave

Django likes this.
  19. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

I need to check this out - really enjoyed their set when I saw them opening for Pile this fall, but never actually sought out thier albums.

Moth likes this.
  20. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

21. gomen ne

gomen ne -

"The Light Is Leaving Us All" Current 93 - I got this one on red vinyl. I didn't really like David Tibet's vocal at first, but after a couple of plays I totally love it. It has the feel of a Scandinavian or Viking epic about it, and there are parts of it that actually really do unsettle the listener. It really has a sense of apocalyptic dread. I also really like Andrew Liles' production work. At times it feels pre-historic, at times medieval and also modern. I love the birds and natural sounds on it.
    My favourite tracks are the ones where Tibet gets more angry - 30 Red Houses and one of the ones on side 2 (I can't remember the name). They really scare you.
    It works best as two tracks, and it's not party music, but I'm going to be wallowing in its doom-laden foreboding atmosphere quite often.

Ironclaw, iwokeinrelief and Mugrug12 like this.
  22. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Who knows this gal? This is the life indeed.

23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Best New Album of 2018 for me has been the Soundtrack to "A Star is Born" by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

Mylene, JL6161 and Bevok like this.
  24. Cal Cypher

Cal Cypher Forum Resident

The Good, The Bad & The Queen: Merrie Land

Melancholy love letter to a post Brexit England aside this is afro beat and dub bass heaven. The ballads are amongst Albarn's best and the Visconti production is sublime. The album sounds fantastic on vinyl and is a must listen.

25. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

It's a bit too much about brexit for my liking.