Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Henry Phillpotts

Henry Phillpotts Well-Known Member

Lo Moon is turning out to be a very enjoyable listen.

[​IMG]

2. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

I am enjoying the new Joe Satriani, "What Happens Next" featuring Glenn Hughes and Chad Smith. Excited to be seeing him tonight at the Chicago Theater.

Spaceboy likes this.
  3. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Love it! At first I thought it sounded like a make believe Talk Talk comeback.

4. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The Loveless song they released last year was really nice, it did have some nice Talk Talk character, is that the standout or does the rest of the album reach that level? Guess I could just listen to it and decide myself, but fun to ask about it too. I see they just got a review in Variety, wow, must be hitting big in LA :)

Album Review: Lo Moon’s Self-Titled Debut

mschrist likes this.
  5. Henry Phillpotts

Henry Phillpotts Well-Known Member

First listen and I thought it was really consistent as an album. A common mood without feeling repetitive...

Davey likes this.
  6. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Ditto!

7. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Very much enjoying the new album from ionnalee (aka Jonna Lee of iamamiwhoami).

It’s basically an evolution/ continuation of the iamamiwhoami sound ; which for those who don’t know it is odd electronic pop music - pretty much like a more tuneful version of The Knife or Fever Ray.

8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Ooh, this is good!

mschrist and LarsO like this.
  9. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

New Sheepdog's album Changing Colours rocks out hard :)

[​IMG]

10. Davey

So I've listened to the Lake Ruth record a few times now, both the vinyl and the 24/96 bandcamp download it comes with, and it is a really nice album, getting better with each listen as the songs take hold. Really flows well as an album, and builds toward a very strong ending. Anyway, I'm a big fan of the debut, and this one may even be better. There is one of those cool track by track articles by the band at The Blog That Celebrates Itself: Lake Ruth, "Birds of America" - Track by Track , I wish more bands would do this, I love to read them.

And speaking of that, in-between all those Lake Ruth listens this weekend, I've managed to squeeze in a couple listens to the pretty great new Augie March Bootikins album, this one came as a surprise, didn't know it was coming out, but released yesterday (vinyl may not be out yet, but is kind of pricey from Australia for me, so still looking around for a good deal). Lots of Kinks goodness on this one (give a listen to "I Woke Up In Borgolombardo"). Anyway, there's another of those track by track articles I love for this one by Glenn Richards at Exclusive Album Premiere: Augie March – Bootikins (2018 LP) – the AU review

BTW, in case any of the Augie March fans here missed it, their great Sunset Studies debut from 2000 finally got a 2-LP vinyl release on RSD 2016, just ordered a copy myself, love this album, huge favorite, highly recommended if you don't know of it... Augie March "Sunset Studies", best debuts of the decade?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    GuidedByJonO))), hamicle and Neonbeam like this.
  11. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Bought this new Hookworms on vinyl based on reviews and 'critical acclaim' – having a tough time finding what the fuss is all about. Feels like I'm missing something. Anybody assist me in my appreciation & why this is getting the kudos it is?

Frank likes this.
  12. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Nobody has to like everything.

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Indeed! An understatement, even. But...I was also asking if someone could illuminate me, beyond the the obvious.

14. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

You have the whole of the world wide web to check out something before you buy an album these days. The last time I impulse purchased anything (especially on really expensive vinyl these days) was in the days before the internet.

15. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Ok, I'll just stop. I thought the Hoffman Forums were on the WWW. Of course I could go check it out elsewhere but that's not why we're here, is it? I've always endured those "Which Beatles/Stones/Wishbone Ash" album should I start out with?" and "What's the big deal with Steely Dan?" or "Question About T Rex" threads...where the deeper internet is just a click away. I've read the reviews of Hookworms – that's why I bought it. I'm innocently inquiring what insights members on this site may have that could help me appreciate it...more. Geez.

Robert C and scotth like this.
  16. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

@ramdom my point was not to spend any money on something without testing the water first. Even though I read recommendations on this forum all the time, I'd still like to check it out a bit before splurging £20 on it. I used to do this in the days before the internet, when the NME, Melody Maker or Sounds where around, but not now, been burned far too many times.

I'm not sure that reading someone else's opinion on this record will really change how you feel about it though, unless it has some sort of quality to it that further replays might bring out. But don't labour on it, move on and listen to something you like

17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Kind of a perfect combo of Spaceman 3 drugged out drift, Stereolab/Neu motorik stomp, Suicide and shoegaze/Animal Collective psych. It sounds like they're paying attention to having some kind of emotional heft, something other than just hitting the right effects pedals all the time. It has drive and nuance and songs and heart. I can see these songs really taking off in a live setting, and that takes nothing away from the success of the album, which has been a very pleasant discovery thanks to this thread.

18. marke

marke Forum Resident

This sounds amazing. There are definitely similarities to Talk Talk with a smattering of eighties Peter Gabriel.

NorthNY Mark and Robert C like this.
  19. marke

marke Forum Resident

Now I've listened to the ir song Loveless. Epic, entrancing and majestic. Seven minutes of bliss.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  20. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Can't stop playing Shame's debut at the moment. Murky disaffected post-punk, i.e., my favorite.

[​IMG]

mschrist likes this.
  21. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I suppose that you could've made your point without the condescension in the first post.

I hereby "unlike" your post.

ramdom likes this.
  22. Davey

C'mon guys, let's not turn it into one of those threads, they both had points to make. I appreciate it when people talk more in depth about a new album, especially why they like it, where they heard about it, how many listens, all that stuff, but in the end, it's up to the buyer to decide if it fits their taste in music, and the best way to do that is listen to it before buying, though the other side is that some of my favorite albums would not have gotten to be favorites if I only gave them one cursory listen, so to have someone that has lived with a record for a while, and gone through the stages of getting to know the songs, and the feel of the whole record, offer a solid opinion, that means a lot to me too :)

ramdom, Johnny Reb, Robert C and 2 others like this.
  23. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Also really liking this one, took a couple of listens though, it’s been a while since I liked anything this shouty!

mschrist and JL6161 like this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well... it's a great hypnotic album. Even though it's different than "The Hum". Bought it after the concert and loved it. But the strange rhythm pattern in "Ullswater" is driving me nuts :help:

ramdom likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This album sounds so much like 1984 it's almost ridiculous. But it has a nice atmosphere. Undecided if I'm going to buy it.

Davey likes this.