Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Be nice if people would actually say a few words in their posts about the picture or video they are linking, like how they like the album, how the rest compares if a song is posted, what format they got, how it sounds, availability. Contrary to the old adage, a picture of an album cover doesn't really say much :)

2. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Stick in the Wheel - Follow them true
    Angsty, pacy pub room Brit folk with a modern eye.

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

All of these are great, bandcamp and youtubed em, I'll say more when and if I get a physical copy.

4. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Slack Babbath, Perly, segue and 2 others like this.
  5. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this...not anything particularly original, but just a really great sounding band
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Usky, BDC, Retrovertigo and 5 others like this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's Wrong Creatures

7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm also looking forward to this......can't put my finger on it yet why, but have watched the 2 videos released so far and although they are from NY (I believe) they have a very mellow verging on LA sound........I may come back an edit this when the album finally comes out.

[​IMG]

Machiventa, mschrist, glewes and 7 others like this.
  8. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I’ve picked up some very good albums from the recommendations in this thread in the past. I am looking forward to more new discoveries and hope to be able to contribute something also.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  9. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

I’m looking forward to Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats new album coming in March. Here’s the first single from the album.

MGM, Dreadnought, Geee! and 1 other person like this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

There's something very appealing about it, like they're not trying too hard to impress, but then the hook grabs you. I'll definitely give the album a listen.

Ric-Tic, BD2665, house9 and 2 others like this.
  11. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Like the glorious sound of God.

Ivand likes this.
  12. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I'm excited about Ty Segall's new double album, Freedom's Goblin, which comes out on the 26th.
    [​IMG]
    I'm only a casual Ty fan, but I think the preview tracks have all been pretty good.

13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Just bought it today, but will not get to listen to it for a few days. BRMC is one of those Bands, who I bought all of their albums, but seem to have gotten lost in my collection of CDs, so has been while since I have played their prior albums. Maybe because it has been 7-8 years since their last studio album is another reason I had forgotten about this band. Love most of their albums, except did not care for 'Howl'(I think it was that album, that was too Country/Blues Rock that is not my taste). The reviews for 'Wrong Creatures' seem to be good though.

Bevok, JoeRockhead and Chrome_Head like this.
  14. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Amazing video - hilarious and sad at the same time.

15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It's their first in actually about 5 years (Spectre At The Feast came out in 2013), but still probably the longest wait between album releases for them. It's a pretty good record, let us know what you think.

I also like Howl quite a bit, it's up there with my favorites of theirs (though don't worry, this new one doesn't sound like that one too much).

JoeRockhead and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  16. jazdoc

jazdoc Forum Resident

Already preordered the latest Calexico

Geee!, JoeRockhead and manicpopthrill like this.
  17. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I really liked the first album so will keep an eye out for this. It sounds like they’ve softened their sound a bit here.

mschrist likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Liam Gallagher's Second Album.

19. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

Also excited to hear Lo Moons debut album next month. Reminds me a little of Talk Talk mainly because of the voice.

20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Evelyn Glennie / Jon Hemmersam / Szilárd Mezei / Michael Jefry Stevens - The Core-Tet Project

Dame Evelyn Glennie - Percussion (Scotland)
    Jon Hemmersam - Acoustic Guitar (Denmark)
    Szilard Mezei - Viola (Serbia)
    Michael Jefry Stevens - Acoustic Piano (USA)

I bought this because of Evelyn Glennie who is my favorite percussionist. The others are all free jazz/avant garde artists, none of whom I've heard before. The music is completely improvised.

Naxos is an interesting label for this music to be on. They do put out some jazz, but it's mostly pretty mainstream and this is not. My guess is that Evelyn Glennie put this together and proposed it to Naxos since she's recorded for them in the past.

[​IMG]

Spotify: The Core-tet Project

mschrist, Beamish13 and brew ziggins like this.
  21. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

I'm so glad these girls are back. They're abducting you into their soothing and harmonic world again.

[​IMG]

22. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

About the only things so far in 2018 that's made me stop what I am doing

On the GhostBox label : forthcoming album "The invisible world of Beautify Junkyards" out 9th March

23. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

and of course...

Machiventa and Beamish13 like this.
  24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The new First Aid Kit is my pick for the first great 2018 new release. Tucker Martine produced and his slight change in the sisters direction is a great move.

And those harmonies....

Stone Turntable, mschrist and Bevok like this.
  25. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Ordered the purple splatter vinyl a few days ago from their German label Tonzonen Records (Dirk Raupach), a little cheaper than bandcamp for the US, should be fun, looking forward to playing this one a bunch this year, along with the new one from The Limiñanas, Shadow People, in a few days.

Machiventa likes this.