Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Just discovered and liking a lot.

2. Group of One

Group of One Forum Resident

Lot of coverage on 6 Music for these guys.

My go-to from them is ‘The Lick’. Nice space and pacing, good bass line and unfussy guitar line.

3. Allyngr

Allyngr Forum Resident

4. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Here's what I'm looking forward to next Friday:

1. Hookworms: Microshift
    Kinda experimental post-punk-psych-dance-y. Here's one of two singles called "Static Resistance." I might like the other song more, but it's a bit of a commitment at 7 minutes.

2. Rhye: Blood
    Silky smooth, sexy R&B. Very pretty and a little unorthodox. This is a new song called "Taste."

3. Sunwatchers II
    Avant-garde-leaning jazz with a few different cultural and genre influences. They put out one single.

4. Field Music: Open Here
    This is an album I'm just finding out about. Their music sounds is progressive-pop along the lines of XTC. Here's one of two singles.

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I bought The other people place/ Lifestyles of the laptop cafe as a flac download 2 years ago from bleep.com

Allyngr likes this.
  6. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

One of the guys in Hookworms is also part of XAM Duo, who made a great record last year with Virginia Wing called Tomorrow's Gift, which has quickly become my favorite of the year, though just released in December. Also kind of experimental with post-punk elements, so may not be quite what you like, but I love it, including the 20 minute "Birch Polygon" opener and everything after. Then again, I love the other two Virginia Wing records too, and it doesn't depart too much, but does bring in some really cool free jazz elements that add to their sound. Anyway, lots of posts around here about it if interested in checking it out, though pretty much all by me :)

Machiventa, Neonbeam and Moth like this.
  7. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Big fan of Hookworms early stuff (especially the first EP and LP) but man this new direction they've taken is just not doing it for me...

8. Davey

Yea, not really my thing too much either, probably should've cautioned in my comments above that the Virginia Wing/XAM Duo record is not really much like Hookworms in either their old or new guise, but just wanted to add some connectivity to one of my recent favorites :)

Here's one from the "Rhonda" RSD single from 2016 ...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Neonbeam and octaneTom like this.
  9. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

Good stuff. Lifestyles is a terrific record. They've recently reissued the Mice or Cyborg record as well.

Non electronic, but Flying Horseman has a new record out and it's (of course) fantastic:

They're not well-known outside Belgium, but they're the best band we have at the moment (imo :) ). It's great fun to spot the influences while listening, but nontheless they have a singular, very cohesive sound.

RIYL Talk Talk, Talking Heads, Can and different blues and jazz stuff.

10. Davey

That does sound pretty cool, a bit more like early 80s new wave era King Crimson to me. Not quite sure what you mean by non electronic, I guess you mean there are still guitars and drums, along with all the sequencers and other electronics :)

Terrapin Station and clercqie like this.
  11. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

Well, non electronic compared to the full-blooded detroit electro of Lifestyles & co. :)

Davey likes this.
  12. Allyngr

Allyngr Forum Resident

Wow that’s hypnotic stuff. Kind of made me think of Ozric Tentacles, who I haven’t thought about or listened to since the late 90s

mschrist likes this.
  13. Davey

Hmm, just saw this, so maybe they have more in common than just the XAM Duo connection ... cool opportunity for Virginia Wing to reach a wider audience...

[​IMG]

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Man, thanks for this. I never heard of them but was curious based on your description, but I misunderstood what you wrote and went looking for this on Google Play Music today. When it wasn't there I listened to their last one - Commontime. Wow.

[​IMG]

Now I'm looking forward to it next Friday, too.

15. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

One of the best of the year:

16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Dommengang - Love Jail

[​IMG]

Classic rock flavored blues rock with a hint of modern hard rock tendencies (maybe that's "Neo-Psychedelia"?).

I debated posting this one. I really, really enjoyed 3/5ths of it, but 2/5ths of it are instrumental jams that don't really interest me. However, since I think the 2/5ths that didn't interest me are objectively "good" and don't fall into the trap of being overly long - instrumentals just aren't my cup of tea - here it is.

From AMG:
    ==========
    Release Date
    January 26, 2018
    Duration
    40:02
    Genre
    Pop/Rock
    Styles
    Hard Rock
    Indie Rock
    Neo-Psychedelia
    Space Rock
    Recording Date
    May 31, 2017 - June 5, 2017
    Recording Location
    • Louder Studios, Grass Valley
    With 2015's Everybody Boogie, Brooklyn power trio Dommengang picked up the driving rock gauntlet thrown down by contemporaries such as Endless Boogie, White Hills, Earthless, and more. Every track was a jam wrapped in sludgy, post-psych blues grooves. In the interim between it and 2018's Love Jail, the trio relocated to Los Angeles; the geographical change deeply influenced their sound. They worked in the desert for a week with engineer Tim Green of the ****ing Champs (Joanna Newsom, Howlin' Rain), who carved an analog sense of space into the mix that reflected Dommengang's love of vintage '70s hard rock recordings.

An instantly noticeable contrast with Everybody Boogie is the dearth of sprawling jams -- every track here is under five minutes. While the change is striking, it's not introduced immediately, as "Pastel City," with its I-IV-V progression and Black Sabbath breakdowns, make plain. It's crunchy and greasy and packs a solid bass wallop from Brian Markham. "Lovely Place" melds the riff-drenched power attack of Cream with Marc Bolan's tasty turnarounds. Adam Bulgasem's drumming and Green's Farfisa organ evoke a swirling pysch blur. The album's center is where the sonic changes become most evident. "Stealing Miles" is a spacy psych choogler that makes full use of Wishbone Ash's twin-guitar mastery and early Blue Öyster Cult's sense of atmospheric dread, while the under-three-minute title track is a drifting, glistening instrumental ballad with a blissed-out crescendo. "Goin' Down Fast" is desert crunch with an L.A. hook in the refrain drenched in Sig Wilson's spiraling wah-wah guitars, filthy bass throb, and cracking tom-toms, while "Color Out of Space" melds bluesy psych and country rock. At only two-and-a-half minutes, it works beautifully. "Dave's Boogie" will be readily familiar to fans of Dommengang's initial offering: Its driving biker rock is infused with Hawkwind-esque skyscraper guitar riffs, slamming snares, and kick drums amid desert-blown wind effects. Closer "Stay Together" is a stratospheric psychedelic blues that reflects the influence of Fleetwood Mac's "Albatross" and Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain." Love Jail isn't magnificent by any means, but it is stronger than its predecessor. Dommengang's much improved songwriting, relentless pursuit of more spacious atmospheres, and richly textured backdrops inside the hard rock cave provide ample evidence.
    ===

17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Two FANTASTIC rock albums that have already come out this January:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if the new lead single from the upcoming Manic Street Preachers album "Resistance is Futile" is any indication, it should be a great freaking album!

[​IMG]

Yes, that's a cassette tape!

18. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Really liked this...

Frank likes this.
  19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Khruangbin - Con Todo El Mundo
    Weedpecker - III
    King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Gumboot Soup
    BRMC - Wrong Creatures

Machiventa and Spinmeout like this.
  20. LibertyKrell

LibertyKrell Forum Resident

[​IMG]

If you like the sounds of Galaxie500 and such...

Here's a review

The full album is available on Spotify. Clips availble on SoundCloud and Youtube.

Machiventa likes this.
  21. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I’m with you on the best tracks, except that you seem to have forgotten “Fireworks”- seriously, give it another go. ;)

Erm, don’t get too excited. Rammstein it ain’t.

Frank likes this.
  22. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Well, I did not think I’d ever see someone else on this forum mention Captain!

“This is Hazelville” is one of my absolute most favourite albums of all time so it was unlikely they’d ever manage to top it, but I have enjoyed the new one the few times I’ve listened to it so far. I’ll save further listens for the vinyl!

ggggreenisaac likes this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm the exact opposite for something like this. I'm not that interested in the songs and prefer instrumentals. It's the main reason I don't listen to a lot of rock.

Frank likes this.
  24. Davey

Mayor Of Filey, Neonbeam and Moth like this.
  25. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I've just bought Marble Skies by Django Django. Very much a continuation of their previous work. Great hooks and a mixture of electronic and more standard rock music. Bought it just as an amazon music download. Used this quite a bit since I found that a number of my CD purchases over many years turned up there. Plus I can't be bothered to use a CD player most of the time. Surface to Air (feat. Self Esteem) might actually get some radio air-play.

It's my feeling that there are some interesting groups out there. I'm waiting for the first albums by Black Honey (definitely on its way - "Hello Today" is a great single) and The Estrons ("I'm Not Your Girl") should also have an album I guess. Both with striking lead singers.

[​IMG]

Machiventa and LivingForever like this.