Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

As much as I liked his earlier records, Tony Molina's Kill the Lights is still growing on me the more I listen to it. It's just remarkable that at 10 songs in 14:29, it's still just a perfectly realized pop album, fully satisfying and not a second too short. Brilliant stuff, and I suspect the next one is gonna be even better.

JL6161 and Freedom Rider like this.
  2. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

oots likes this.
  3. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Whoa! This has some Elliott Smith in its DNA. Very cool. Didn’t hear about this - good catch.

oots likes this.
  4. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Fresh atmospheres and wilds of metal from 2018:

oots likes this.
  5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Doesn't really matter if they were mentioned already, if he wants to big up them.

6. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

This Koenji Hyakkei is pretty dope:

NorthNY Mark and oots like this.
  7. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I wasn't chiding @mark e for posting about those two groups.
    #context

8. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

I was really enjoying this thread and them WHAM!! Same old comments. People come here to post I’m not doing 20 minutes or research for a 30 word reply. If it’s already posted it just means you have similar taste. OP didn’t say each answer has to be unique.

Terrapin Station and oots like this.
  9. Frank

Frank Senior Member

The point isn't whether they were mentioned before or not. The first one who brought that up was you.

The point is in making a big deal about being so uninterested in what the rest of us have to say that you have to go out of your way to mention that can't be bothered to check whether they've been mentioned before or not.

It's legitimate in that instance to point out how easy it is to actually check whether something has been mentioned before or not without "digging through the 48 pages" of what the rest of us took time to write.

Just a little friendly advice. Maybe just post what you want without minimizing what the rest of us have posted as somehow being unworthy of your time.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  10. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

Who is this directed toward

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Charlemagne Palestine - Ttuunneesszz Duh Rruunneesszz (Blue TB7 Series)

This is my first listen to this release and it's great. The two Charlemagne Palestine releases are very different from the others, very drony.

I have all but one of the Moog Recordings Library releases from this year. I didn't buy the Hieroglyphic Being release because I didn't like the samples. I've also not liked previous releases from Hieroglyphic Being so it's no surprise I didn't like the new one.

Spotify: Ttuunneesszz Duh Rruunneesszz (Blue TB7 Series)

[​IMG]

12. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Mark E. Personally, I don’t care if he doesn’t want to read our replies. I mean there’s probably better things to do than check out recommendations from forum folks. I check them, but very cursorsily.

mark e likes this.
  13. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

I for one appreciate the recommendations. Lot of great music for me to check out. Thanks to all that have posted.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  14. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate them, too, just fast. So many worthwhile things to do with time. And, can understand if someone doesn’t have time to read through the pages.

15. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Laurel Halo
    “What works reliably is to know the raw silk, hold the uncut wood. Need little. Want less. Forget the rules. Be untroubled.” - Lao Tsu

This is great ambient!

Summerisle and scompton like this.
  16. noddin0ff

noddin0ff Petty Opinionator Third Class

Thanks for the heads up! Loving the seductively creepy groove. Moving into my top 10. Another vid/track. And a relative bargain at $7 digital on bandcamp (Sleepwalking, by Jonathan Bree)

Freedom Rider likes this.
  17. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

my original post was when I had had a few drinks, hence in no fit state to read through 48 pages.
    I sobered up, read and 'liked' the response re the search results, as I agreed with the advise.
    just glad to see that I am not alone in my love for the albums.

18. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Im glad to see that very-easily offended people did not scare you off. Post and read album rec's often, I will check them out!

mark e likes this.
  19. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Cloud Nothings new album Last Building Burning is out on October 19, really looking forward to it as the last one lodged itself onto my play list for months.
    Heard that the truly wonderful Imperial Teen are in the studio, so hopefully a new album sooner rather than later.

mschrist and JL6161 like this.
  20. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I love how it wears its obvious musical influences on its sleeve but it's never grating just because the songwriting is so good. When he sings "and it's so hard..." in 'Nothing I Can Say', I almost expect the Byrds to continue with "...being here without you." And I don't have a problem with that - in fact, I love it.:agree:

buzzinfly likes this.
  21. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

The new Liz Cooper and the Stampede album Window Flowers is really good!

22. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Here's Liz doing some of the songs on the new album live before the album was recorded...

23. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    This has been stuck on repeat for days, up there with the Scissor Sister debut and Nightwork. Elton John, Bee Gees, some glam, a bit of Bowie, one terrific song after another.

25. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

that's a great cover.