Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Jazzanova - The Pool

oots likes this.
  2. Terrapin Station

The Ophelias - Almost

BD2665 likes this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Between the Buried and Me - Automata II

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  4. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

Loving it so far. But I was uber obsessed with their last one, so I'm pretty much the target audience.

Mugrug12 and mschrist like this.
  5. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Nadler acoustic version off one of the (soon to be) best albums of 2018 “For My Crimes.” Accompanied by the great Sharon Van Etten.

oots, Davey and Robert C like this.
  6. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

Been digging this debut by the "Sha La Das" that came out today. Seems to be pretty below the radar. Good stuff.

7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Yet another stripped-down DIY act from Australia/NZ (see also The Goon Sax, Dick Diver, Chook Race, School Damage, Wax Chattels, etc.), this one favoring a deliberately minimalist, repetitive guitar style and one-chord organ drones. A bit reminiscent of early Tall Dwarves in spots, but poppier.

Have A Cunning Plan, by The Shifters

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    oots and Moth like this.
  8. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Very old school. Almost 60s. Listened to a lot of it online already.

[Finished it] Very nice.

dloew and Mugrug12 like this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

Vinyl fans will probably be happy to hear that the black version is under $17 from most places too, including amazon. Just pre-ordered the limited dove and crow version not long ago. Should be a very nice record.

Looking forward to the new Ian William Craig Thresholder record, that's a big one for me but not out for a while, Centres is one of my favorite records of the last few years, still listen to it all the time ...

[​IMG]

oots and Robert C like this.
  10. Terrapin Station

It looks like we never posted this either: Underworld & Iggy Pop - Teatime Dub Encounters

love the lyrics and vocal delivery on this one

oots likes this.
  11. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

So, this is turned into the "just post something you listened to" thread.
    Losing value for me.

I've appreciated this thread and the last two previous years, too.
    There have been multiple albums and bands which I have come across here, and thrilled to them.
    The wheat to chaff ratio is approaching 1:1.

Mabe I've havd a long day, maybe I'm just tired of seeing the same junk posters posting junk here. Specifically, two or three of the same.

brock, RyanTark, cgoodwin22 and 4 others like this.
  12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

How do you know they aren’t posting stuff they really like? I’ve bought quite a few album posted by prolific posters.

I’ll probably post over 100 albums by the end of the year. They’ll be my 100 favorites out of the 300+ I buy. I usually post 3-5 albums at a time because it takes a bit of time seconding wgat to post and composing the posts. I end up on a roll and post a bunch.

Just because music being posted isn’t to you taste does mean it’s junk. I don’t like 90% of what’s posted here but I still like that it’s posted

cacaaaaaaw, oots and LivingForever like this.
  13. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

It’s as easy as take that frown and turn it upside down. Found a wonderful electronic orchestral album: Floex and Tom Hodge featuring the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra - A portrait of John Doe.

oots likes this.
  14. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

@scompton , whether or not I share the same taste as you, You have a refined taste in ambient, avante garde, and other roads.
    This isn't about you.

15. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Thank you for posting it. I’m listening to this album right now and I love what I’ve heard so far. Amazing atmosphere, a 60s vibe that I absolutely like, nice harmonies. Definitely a good record.

I had never ever heard of this band before, they are quite underground so thanks again for putting them in my radar.

BD2665, dadonred, oots and 1 other person like this.
  16. Terrapin Station

Dorian Concept - The Nature of Imitation

shiwo likes this.
  17. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

That's quite the proclamation! I just got my copy today so a little late to the party, but have the big poster temporarily taped up on the wall and spinning the clear vinyl now for the second time and loving it. Sounds a little brittle at times, but quite a bit better sounding than the last one. Really nice record, have to see where it goes, but pretty sure I'll be listening a lot, she is pretty amazing. Great depth of emotion on these songs, and her vocals are actually kinda surprising, she is a pretty good singer, and the way the words combine with the music ... well, it is pretty unique ...

[​IMG]

18. Terrapin Station

Felicita - hej!

19. RockOnSon

RockOnSon Well-Known Member

Phantasic Ferniture - S/T

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    oots and Terrapin Station like this.
  20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Noir-rock band Elysian Fields released a new album yesterday and I am really digging it

oots likes this.
  21. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I get what you’re saying, but I have still found this thread informative even when it’s not strictly what people think are the “best” albums. There’ve been a few that have piqued my interest even when people have said they’ve only listened to them once.

Having said that, I do need *something* to go on, so a simple album name or even just a YouTube link will have me scrolling past, you need to hook me in with a couple of lines of what the album is about and why you recommend it.

22. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Joe Bonamassa Redemption. I know Joe is not so popular on these boards but his ne album is confident, mature and lets the music roll. His soloing is reduced to what is necessary allowing more room for horns and back up vocals. It has a swing and groove. I started to find his stuff much of a muchness but his last two albums proper have won me over again. Yellow vinyl plays ok but some minor pressing issues.

LivingForever and Mugrug12 like this.
  23. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Seconded. :thumbsup:

Heard this last night - just brilliant pop music.

24. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Personally I'm still in the process of listening, relistening and (re-)evaluating albums. I find that often first listen reactions do not always hold up on subsequent listens, so my list of favorites is likely to change drastically as the year moves on and more releases come out. It's not always possible to say right off the bat whether a certain album is "the best" - which is why many of us have a long list of albums we like pretty much equally. It will take some time to narrow down the favorites.

Perhaps it would more more sense to create a separate thread "Rate the Last 20** album you listened to" at the start of each year and a separate "Best New Album of 20**" thread at the end of the year where people can post their well thought out, definitive lists.

25. ELBEAVERINO

ELBEAVERINO Forum Resident

I think "Favorite albums" in the title as opposed to "best" would make a big difference in how the thread was viewed by others. Personally, it's not something which bothers me and have found the thread to be of great use and enjoy the varied recommendations. I might not always get through everything on here as I still have my usual avenues and resources to check before looking for something else and that can be very time-consuming in itself, obviously we can only listen to so much but I have found a few things in here which would have otherwise have passed me by and for that I'm extremely grateful so long may it continue I say.

LivingForever, Mugrug12 and Spaceboy like this.