Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

In addition to the above from March, some other releases I’ve been enjoying since they released:

Living the Dream - Slash feat. Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators

Book of Bad Decisions - Clutch

War of the Worlds, Pt. 1 - Michael Romeo

Ocean Machine: Live at the Ancient Roman Theatre Poldiv

Prequelle - Ghost

Dirty Computer - Janelle Monae

Automata 1 & 2 - Between the Buried and Me

2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

The new Conan mockasin is tops. Will def be in my top 20 and maybe in the top 10. I suspect this is his first album where it's really just him, and not like a persona. First one was like a prog costume and the second was like prince or something but this is maybe the real Conan stand up. One of the most talented people playing. He's also a dl guitar shredder (shhhh don't tell).

Very excited for the new papercuts album next week. One of the most consistently excellent bands of the new century and I'm obsessed with them. They've not made a bad album so fingers crossed that the chain is unbroken. Has it been five years since their last lp? Damn

3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Been listening to the new Maarja Nuut & Ruum Muunduja album for the last couple days, totally falling under the spell, amazing work, though hard to describe, some similarities to Julia Holter and Lucrecia Dalt. Just ordered the vinyl today, on Fat Cat, released a week ago ...

From the opening paragraph of the Quietus review ... The Quietus | Reviews | Maarja Nuut and Ruum
    The urge to describe music in great detail may be overwhelming, but ultimately everything is overtaken by the need to get to the point. Where every impulse to elaborate why is deflected by one basic command; namely, “listen to this!” To clumsily quote Joan Didion writing about her sense of awe of being shown round the control room at the Hoover Dam, the experience of listening to Muunduja by Maarja Nuut and Ruum is so explicit as to suggest nothing beyond itself. And by God, it’s entrancing; you need to hear it.

4. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

This is amazing...big Paul Mccartney influence here. Top 5 of 2018 for sure, just ordered the orange vinyl. :pineapple:

[​IMG]

mcwlod, JL6161, No Bull and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Traden treads upon trumpy trades as a treat with tragic trepidation of travesties, trying to traipse along triumphantly in a true trevail to treasured tracksmanship.

6. HumbleBy

HumbleBy Forum Resident

I haven't read through the entire thread, so the album might have been mentioned before, but my absolute favourite album released in 2018 so far i "Dissolution" by The Pineapple Thief.
    [​IMG]

MisterNines, Macman, mcwlod and 3 others like this.
  7. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

MisterNines, Davey and NorthNY Mark like this.
  8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Colter Wall - Songs of the Plains

BD2665, Gagnedouze, JL6161 and 5 others like this.
  9. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

A new Folkways release: Mariachi Reyna de Los Angeles. This is an excellent recording by an excellent old band.

10. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thanks. Is it as good as Brave Tin Soldiers?

11. Davey

Yea, you're right, that is kind of unusual these days, though a couple of my favorites mentioned earlier have the same DR11, Tim Rutili & Craig Ross, and Erik Friedlander, both with some big fans around here (though the Erik Friedlander album is a modern jazz release, so maybe doesn't count quite as much). The Maarja Nuut & Ruum album I mentioned a few post above is also very nice sounding, with a few tracks that register DR10 and DR11, though overall drops to DR9 because of a couple other low DR tracks. Anyway, good to see a return to better sounding recording and mastering techniques by a few artists, though admittedly, they will go unnoticed by most. I think Pineapple Thief is pretty popular, relatively speaking, kind of like Porcupine Tree, not really the type of music I listen to very much, but still very nice to see.

12. Davey

You tell me, is that a good one? I've only heard this new one, never heard of her before a couple weeks ago, but I like this quite a lot. I'd heard of Black Box Recorder, but don't have any of their albums and didn't know the names of any members. Nice review at The Quietus last week too ... The Quietus | Reviews | Sarah Nixey

13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

I really like Brave Tin Soldiers. If you enjoy her voice, you’ll like it. The BBR albums are essential. Very dark and savage, lyrically. Maybe try a bit on YouTube before buying, but if you like what you hear then buy the lot.

Davey likes this.
  14. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

The Nils Frahm album Encores is DR14 in hi-res 24-96 format. I think the standard release is DR13.

15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I guess you could call your comment a ...
    Tease

Ironclaw likes this.
  16. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Man, those of you into the psychedelic end of stoner rock would do well to check out Longing To Be The Mountain, the latest album from Rochester, New York's King Buffalo. Absolutely killer stuff, from the Floydian guitars in the opening track to the fuzzy riffs towards the end. I've been following these guys since their demo EP , but they keep upping their game with every new release. RIYL: All Them Witches

Longing To Be The Mountain, by King Buffalo

[​IMG]

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Here's another one for me, and right now this one is tied for me with Doyle Bramhall 2 for my favorite of the year. Kurt Vile - Bottle It In, have a few of his other albums, but did not hear anything like this coming from him. Very nice surprise!

I normally can't stand Rolling Stone Magazine, but they came very close to nailing this one! They gave it 4 out of 5 but the review reads closer to a 4.5 or 5 star one. Laid back Stoner Rock (but very upbeat at times) laced with Psychedelic textures and sounds throughout, with some awesome and very clever lyrics!

I got the Indie 2-LP Blue vinyl version and the sound quality is borderline audiophile, simply fantastic sounding!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  18. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Excellent track. Gary Numan meets David Bowie...with a hint of Flock of Seagulls...

Freedom Rider likes this.
  19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

channeling some Jerry Lee Lewis... this is a fun track.... excellent.

Monkadee likes this.
  20. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Digging it. Thanks.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  21. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

My Pleasure!!

22. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

interesting track... pop fluff explodes into noise... very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Moth likes this.
  23. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Brazilian funkadelic jazz.

24. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Czech shoegaze. Sgood.

25. Monkadee

Monkadee Forum Resident

She's actually Jerry Lee's sister!