Best New TT for $1500 (2015)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by chargrove, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russk

russk Forum Resident

Think you'd be better off with an Rp6 and a more affordable cartridge. Better platter and the TTPSU make a difference if you listen to acoustic or piano music. I almost went RP3 with an Exact or Bronze. Ended up with RP6 and 2m Blue. Prefer that combo

2. russk

russk Forum Resident

I know 2 dealers that will sell it for 500. Couldn't find it for less than 255GBP when I looked in England

3. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Here come the PM's....

4. what are your thoughts on the Clearaudio Concept with either MM or MC cartridge already installed? I know the MM version is around $1500 with the MC being a few hundred dollars higher. Read reviews of this on Needle Doctor and it gets high praises.

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

Lol. Really its that popular a cartridge? I can't imaging passing up a Bronze or Nag MP 200 or 300 but then again I've never listened to one closely and am very curious about it.

6. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Several years ago I was on another forum and was voicing my interest in buying a Rega P3-24. Soon after I received a pm from a dealer in FL stating he would sell me a new in box unit for $375. I jumped on it!

7. russk

russk Forum Resident

Damn now suddenly I think I should never mention price. Never even occurred to me.

As far as discounts go I'd never consider buying something at its list price. From what I've seen on just about all gear you can get 10 to 20% off. Especially if you buy more than one item.

I don't think they're are any dealers in Syracuse but the beautiful thing about living here is that you can hear just about anything if you're willing to take a day trip.

8. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I'm also trying to decide on something in that price range. Last week I went to a local dealer and listened to a VPI Scout 1.1 w/ a 2M Bronze next to a Clearaudio Concept with a Artist V2 Ebony. To me they both were incredible, but I think I'm leaning toward the Concept for a couple reasons...

First, the sound was a bit warmer than the Scout. The Scout was almost too perfect, almost felt sterile - If I was using this just for reference that'd be one thing - but I really want to enjoy the music and not just pick it apart. I understand there are a million factors that go into it too - and I'm sure with a different cartridge and maybe a different phono pre it would warm up - but that's what I heard on first take.

Second, ease of use - I like that it has 33/45/75 at the twist of a knob vs moving the belt. The arm feels a little more stable - the Scout's would just take getting used to, it was just a little disconcerting at first.

And lastly price - For the price difference I could afford a nicer cartridge, upgrade my phono pre, add a sub or buy a ton of vinyl...

innocent_bystander likes this.
  9. I paid list for my rp6 w exact and my dealer came to my house to set it up. That's was worth every penny.

utahusker and russk like this.
  10. russk

russk Forum Resident

That is. Good dealer support is the most important thing.

Upinsmoke and utahusker like this.
  11. Seafinch

@Mazzy That's exactly what I'm weighing right now... pretty sure I'm about to pay list for a Clearaudio Concept from a local dealer for the same reason.

Mazzy likes this.
  12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Yes, I chose to not save $200 at that time for a mail order P3-24 for a dealer who set it up (any then walked me through it on the phone when I got home), then answered every silly question about it for quite awhile later.

But even then, after the thousands I've spent with this one dealer, I still dont pay list. Loyalty is a two-way street.

russk likes this.
  13. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

1500 is what I paid for my VPI traveler and ortofon 2m blue.

I like it a lot. Fits my small setup nicely.

utahusker likes this.
  14. Seafinch

@TVC15 Yep! Totally agree. My dealer has already agreed to help me out with the cartridge if I get my table from him...

15. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

If your going w/the VPI I would add the Ortofon Quintet MC cart. Just a few more dollars than the Blue MM.

16. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

The Quintet almost negates the need for MM anymore, unless you don't have a decent MC stage.

17. Ain'tNoRight

Ain'tNoRight New Member

I'm very happy with my RP6/Exact combo. I thought it sounded miles better than the RP3/Elys, but opinions vary on that particular point. I also auditioned the CA Concept but the RP6 just made my ears happier. From what I recall the Concept had decent bass extension but I really liked the soundstage on the RP6.

russk and Ntotrar like this.
  18. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

I'd be curious to hear any opinions on the Traveler vs Scout Jr. or on the Scout Jr. arm specifically, as I'm considering whether to keep an eye out for a used Traveler or save up some more for the Scout Jr...

19. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

IIRC, I read an article about the Traveler being rated as a budget rig from VPI ...

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

After reading through this thread, why is the Scout not plug n' play if it is setup by your local dealer? I've had one for 6 years and simply just plug n' play, no tinkering, no upgrading, just music enjoyment.

22. senseabove

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I know costs can start to get out of hand when buying a turntable but I would say the extra $500 to get the Scout is money well spent.

the extra money will get you a better platter a better tonearm, better isolation feet and the center clamp. I have not heard the junior or the traveler but I have heard the Scout and I was very impressed with it.

24. senseabove

That they can! Considering that I can almost certainly get a used Traveler for <$1000, the Scout Jr. would be my "extra $500" (especially since I'd likely want to upgrade the 2m Red that it comes with), if I bought it new. I'll be keeping an eye out for a used Scout (Sr.?), too, though... I'm kicking myself I couldn't spring for that Scout SE in the classifieds a few weeks ago, but it wasn't in the cards at the time.

I've also seen a few comments that the Traveler stands pretty well against the Scout... The Scout Jr. doesn't seem to be getting reviews anywhere, though. I guess it seems like too incremental a change to warrant a full review?

25. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

There is a Clearaudio Concept with cart on AGON for $1400 now. Great table.

If you decide to go VPI I'd go with one from AGON, the price drops like a rock. They have Classics on there for 1/2 price (among other brands).

Personally I like Clearaudio or a Rega table.

There is also a GEM polytable which looks rather interesting, can't say I have heard one personally.

The SOTA Comet is another with cart that is in that range too.

russk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.