Best of the Best of Bee Gees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MelodyFair, Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau Thread Starter

I am on my second listen of this great Bee Gees collection. I'm curious what this forum thinks is the best song off of this essential compilation.

For me, it's the reason I bought the compilation, Massachusetts.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think "To Love Somebody" is one of the greatest songs of the decade. It's a pity Otis didn't live to record it, as Barry intended.

Mr. D, hoggydoggy, longaway and 3 others like this.
  3. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"I've Gotta Get a Message To Yo". It is probably my favorite Bee Gees song.

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I'm hearing it in my head -- that would have been unbelievably good.

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I never realized "I Can't See Nobody" was one of Barry Gibb's, too. Nina Simone did an excellent cover of that, in addition to her beautiful cover of "To Love Somebody".

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Might have become his signature tune.

Monosterio likes this.
  7. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau Thread Starter

Robin has such a distinctive voice, it's beautiful, however I really enjoy the stylistic variation of Barry.

8. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

What a great period of Bee Gees music. From that list my favorite is "Massachusetts." I really like the somewhat subtle psychedelic mood, and the strings are a nice sweetening effect.

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Every Christian a true psych masterpiece created from such a young Gees.

A great tune all around. Incredible 1967.

Love them all.

Rickchick, RickH, andrewskyDE and 3 others like this.
  10. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

What, no love for "Tomorrow Tomorrow" (on the CD version)? :p

Rickchick and BryanW like this.
  11. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I like most of the tracks listed but I've grown kind of tired of many of them. So, the one that I'd rather listen to right now is "World".

12. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Very difficult to vote for only one, but I went with New York Mining Disaster 1941.

RickH and oxegen like this.
  13. Cipresso

Cipresso Forum Resident

Get a Message to You.
    Best of the Best? How come Spicks and Specks is on it?;)
    (My fave Bee Gees - Main Course)

14. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

To Love Somebody is a song that many artists can make great because it's so passionate lyically and dramatic musically.
    That being said Elvis' live versions of Words are great.

Cipresso likes this.
  15. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

SUCH a good compilation. I've still got my Dad's cassette version somewhere, we used to listen to it everyday on the commute to and from work/school in 69/70, a little mono cassette player sat on my knees. Back in the days before everyone had car stereos and 7 year-olds were still allowed to sit in the front!

I've voted I Gotta Get A Message To You (I've still got the original single too - I much prefer that version to the polished album version on here), but I'm not really happy having to choose one song...

Holiday has always been a big favourite of mine.

And Robin's I Can't See Nobody - wow, always loved that (my Dad thought that one was a bit histrionic!), I almost chose that, but I don't think I can call it the "best song".

I think To Love Somebody is possibly the "best song" - I cannot disagree with anyone who's voted for that. And then First of May and Spicks and Specks are the ones that spoke to me most as a 7/8 year old (I was SO disappointed when I went to buy a vinyl version 10 years later and Spicks and Specks had been pulled for licensing reasons... I like the replacement Tomorrow Tomorrow, but as far as I'm aware, this album was originally put together when Robin quit, BEFORE Tomorrow Tomorrow was released as a single).

And Every Christian Lionhearted Man was always completely mesmerising to this 7/8 year old. And World!! What a track!

I could go on and on - I want to choose them all - this is the album that got me "into" pop-rock music, started me playing guitar and writing my own songs. This, for me, will probably go down as the most important set of songs I ever heard.

I wouldn't want to do without any of them, but I Gotta Get A Message To You has to be my choice.

16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I don't know if it is the "best" song but the one I voted for has a deep lyric that often gets stuck in my head as it sometimes relates to me:
    "Now I find, the world is round, and of course, it rains everyday".

Andrew Russe likes this.
  17. sami

sami Mono still rules

True, but James Carr didn't do too badly with it.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Impossible to pick one!!

Scope J, Jarleboy and Cloudbuster like this.
  19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Also, impossible for me to ever own this compilation. I'm used to the more recent ones that have 40 songs!

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Tony, I gave the cd to my Dad once I was able to find an original LP that has the awol licensing track "Spicks and Specks"!

I was also able to gift him the Best of Vol 2 cd when I found the original LP with the awol track "Wouldn't I Be Someone"!

21. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

To Love Somebody is one of the best songs ever written in my opinion.

Scope J, Adam9, Mr. D and 4 others like this.
  22. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Difficult choice, but went with First of May. An absolutely touching well-crafted pop song. I Can't See Nobody, World and Massachusetts would follow closely. In my mind the Bee Gees could do no wrong between 1967 and 1969. Love, love, love those albums. My favorite song of the period would be With the Sun in My Eyes.

QuestionMark? and tages like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There is here! Very good single.

I love just about every early Bee Gees track but I'm going to go for an obvious one because it's just sublime - Massachusetts.

This is a fine compilation LP but quite a lot of my favourites are missing. Lamplight, Jumbo, Idea & In My Own Time instantly spring to mind. But considering it's restricted to a single album, I can't fault what is on it.

24. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Spicks and Specks is on the original (UK) version of the 'best of' album to which I assume the OP is referring to, and it came out in 1969.

I've seen variations on the compilation, where spicks and specks is replaced with 'turn of the century' from the 'Bee Gees First' LP.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  25. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow, really? Huh - I know one had "Please Read Me" instead of something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.