Best of the Best of Bee Gees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MelodyFair, Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granata

granata Forum Resident

These early records are essential for big fans. It's fascinating to hear their earlier teenage songs. Some of them are so naive, yet endearing, that it makes the 1st-Horizontal-Idea run even more impressive. If you can pick this set up for a reasonable price (I paid £12 a few years ago, but it's listed at more than twice that now), don't hesitate.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

There was a single disc version put out at the same time. In the box the mastering is the same as on the Brilliant From Birth 2 CD except there's a track that was slightly different from the single to the album so it's remastered by Billy Thorpe & the Aztec's drummer.

granata likes this.
  3. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Ok, I did...Thanks for your help. (**praying the songs at the album are as great as Spicks and Specks**)

granata likes this.
  4. granata

granata Forum Resident

No problem - enjoy. IMO there's only one way to enjoy the Bee Gees, and that's by taking in everything that this remarkable - and now under-appreciated - group ever did.

By the way, just noticed that 'my avatar' (The Distractions) supported yours back in the day:
    [​IMG]

Echo likes this.
  5. bibi50

bibi50 Forum Resident

For me : To love somebody, but missing And the sun will shine or Don't forget to reemember
    They had a real treasure of songs

6. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

I voted for First Of May (or First Of Way - as it says in the poll :nyah:)

I first heard this beautiful track along with the equally brilliant songs In The Morning, To Love Somebody, Melody Fair and Give Your Best as they formed the soundtrack to my all-time favourite film - the 1971 David Puttnam/Alan Parker film Melody.

If you love the Bee Gees and want to know just how many songs they've been responsible for over the last 50 plus years, check out this site, it lists every known track the brothers have written, or covered. Be careful though, you can easily lose hours looking at It! :agree:

Gibb Songs

QuestionMark? likes this.
  7. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

That entire list while the twins were still in their teens and Barry early twenties.
    Amazing.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I can't pick. Too many good songs on this album.

9. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Buy them all! The songs back then were rougher and far less polished than the sonsg that came later, but you hear the germ of brilliance in most of the songs. (And some of thema re quite funny.)

Echo and siveld like this.
  10. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

If you're interested in hearing their very early stuff, most of its on you tube. Here's their first

Damiano54 likes this.
  11. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Idea is one of my all time favorite albums....I started A Joke and I just Gotta Get A Message. Richie Havens does one of the best covers of a Bee Gees song ever, with I Started A Joke from his monumental Stonehenge album.

Chris C likes this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm pulling my LP out today for a spin, and it does include "Spicks and Specks"!

13. lemonade kid

For me the best of the Bees Gees will always be pre Saturday Night Fever--if only by virtue of my utter disdain for disco! As a fledgling drummer of the 60's and garage band kid, I will never be able to get past the dreaded disco drum beat. A horror to my ears and good taste as a drummer...almost as bad as the dreaded drum machine.

I do love Nights On Broadway--the best premonition-to-disco song ever.

The most horrific tribute of the Bee Gees ever was the recent 2017 Grammy Bee Gees tribute! Horrific!! But then, what about that Grammy night was NOT horrific!! I tried, I really tried to give the new kids on the block a chance - but I give up on the Grammys forever.

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

"Nights On Broadway" will always be my all-time favorite song by The Bee Gees! Whenever it comes on a set of speakers near my ears, I always stop and take the time to enjoy it, as it always makes me smile!

JeffMo and Jarleboy like this.
  15. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

All of these songs are great, but To Love Somebody is absolutely amazing. The song is so well crafted, delivered with unbelievable emotion.

I think To Love Someone is the best thing the Bee Gees ever did. In my book, it's one of the best songs of all time.

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'd forgotten how great my old LP of this comp sounds. I have the ATCO SD 33-292.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

My HDCD 2 disc Their Greatest Hits : The Record is on now as I write and is a great entree and offers more than 2.5 hours of great songs.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

First of May, it's one of the saddest songs ever recorded, imo.

lemonade kid and jerrygene like this.
  19. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

There was an obsession with Stayin Alive and constant words of near death and melancholy feelings that always resonates with me throughout their history-Lonely Days for sure...

20. lemonade kid

Odessa is a must (their Sgt Pepper's), Idea I love. Also Bee Gees 1st is essential and quite an amazing feat for the then 17 & 19 YEAR OLD Bee Gees. These (12 year old) kids were the tops in their then home, back in Australia, on their local hit tv show.

granata likes this.
  21. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Yes the pearl of the Black Sea...

lemonade kid likes this.
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Tack on Lonely Days, How Can You Mend and Nights On Broadway and its a perfect path to the SNF era tracks. Never liked volume 2, too many lesser tracks and it pales compared to Best Of.

23. lemonade kid

It is indeed great, but can't pick it or any of my Bee Gees faves as tops. Such amazing talents that I would catch on 60's TV any time I could.

Though we missed this in the states!

They did almost single handedly give birth to Disco with this great song (Nights...)...and almost single handedly sustained Disco. At least for me, as I couldn't abide very many Disco tunes. (Heresy maybe, but I was very disappointed when Pink Floyd went "Disco" with a couple tunes on The Wall.)

Bee Gees on TV in the States..so fine. They often pre-recorded the instrumental parts (really hard to get a good studio sound on the TV stage), but often sang the vocals live on TV then. Not sure about this lip synced or not...but love it still.

Bee Gees - I Started A Joke and First Of May

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    jerrygene likes this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not only that, the Bill Shepherd string arrangements are so beautiful, the record would still be superb even without vocals. This is peak Bee Gees when few could craft pop music melodies as well, and this record sounds just as fine today as it did when new. It doesn't get any finer than this era.

Jarleboy and jerrygene like this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I picked up a Euro comp called Glasshouse of their Festival tracks. Bought it for Spicks and Specks and really liked it all.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.