Best opening sequence to a Bond film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

I just saw "The World Is Not Enough" again, and man, I think it may have the best opening sequence, especially for the entire chase sequence. What do you guys think?

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I've always loved the freefall/parachute opener from Moonraker, even though the rest of the movie sucked.

3. Matt

All the Bonds have something to like, even the worst ones, but by the same token, many feel like bad movies with some really good scenes.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I like the opening ski chase from "The Spy Who Loved Me" capped by the Union Jack parachute. :thumbsup:

GMfan87' likes this.
  5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Wasn't there a ski chase in the beginning of For Your Eyes Only as well?

6. jdw

jdw Senior Member

For Your Eyes Only's pre-credit scene was Bond (Roger's stuntman) hanging from a helicopter and then dropping Blofeld/wheelchair down the smokestack. I think it's a good sequence because it balances the danger and the humour well...

The Moore films with skiing in the pre-credits are "The Spy Who Loved Me" (Union Jack parachute) and "A View To A Kill", though in the latter case the humour goes overboard (this sequence has him using a ski-doo ski as a snow-board).

7. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

My favourite is the opening scene from "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", when George Lazenby gets beaten by these villains who stole his car and - if I remember correctly - also the girl. Lazenby stands up from the sand and says, hinting to Sean Connery who starred the former films (I only have seen this movie in German, so the translation might not be accurate): "This wouldn't have happened to the other one." Great line!
    Greetings
    Thomas

8. Matt

Yeah, "OHMSS" also has one of my favorite Bond scenes and, IMO, the best Bond girl. Ater a long chase from Blofeld's lodge, Bond still can't shake his pursuers. He tries to hide in a crowd of tourists by the skating rink, with Blofeld's thugs closing in, and he's got nowhere to run. He sits by the skating rink, keeping his head down, ready to give up. As he stares at all the skates that go by, a pair of skates stops right in front of him. He looks up, and it's Tracy/Teresa, who ultimately saves him.

9. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Hey, I have almost forgotten that "OHMSS" had been filmed here in Switzerland! :)

10. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Even though I love the older Bond films, I really, really like the opening of "Tomorrow Never Dies".

11. Irwin Mainway

Irwin Mainway Senior Member

That's my favorite as well. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.