Best or worst 'fake' CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I've spent more on CDs I wanted. At least you have it now. Must feel good.

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I had two Syntax- Meccano Mind Japan cd's, sold one for 90 a couple years ago, 100 is my max for something grail-ish

3. Bobby Morrow

I'm so used to paying high prices for SACDs and stuff, it's not so much of a leap to pay extra for something rare now. I'm getting used to it and barely flinch these days. This is probably not a good thing!

4. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

OK, so instead of "negating the possibility" of the back cover scan being from the fake, let's say "significantly lowering the possibility" instead. :)

You make a good point that users might upload internet sourced photos or scans. That possibility didn't occur to me, mainly because doing so is against discogs rules as far as I know. Not that this means it doesn't happen.

But I also think it's much more likely that a counterfeiter would simply copy whatever artwork they had at their disposal rather than add a bar code where there was none. So I feel my theory about two legit back covers is still very possible.

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I was a moderator at discogs (back in the day when they had moderators), and so I know users add internet based data. It's probably easier to do now than before.

True. It happens all the time in the US and Europe.

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have one of these by Kraftwerk on this so called label.

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

I think there is a volume 2 and I think one for Depeche Mode also, for crappy legs they seem to demand high dollars:shrug:

ukozcd likes this.
  8. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

The Ultra Rare Trax CDs were quite popular and i remember when they first appeared 20- 25 years ago they were not only available on record fairs but were even sold in regular music stores like Germany's JPC. In the pre-internet era it wasn't easy to obtain rare mixes or promo stuff so there was quite a demand for them.

9. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

PSB has volume 2.
    DM goes up to volume 8.

c-eling likes this.
  10. rudiger

rudiger Well-Known Member

Possibly fake?

[​IMG]
    This disc says, along the perimeter, Made in France by M.P.O. I know that the early Australian release, the South African and some issues from Eastern Europe have a similar pattern, without the Vertigo swirl/fan, but I've never seen a Western Europe Vertigo CD with this label. Nevetheless I'm not sure it's a fake. Any suggestions?

c-eling likes this.
  11. c-eling

Nice Rudiger! Not sure, I do have some France MPO's that are pretty basic looking

rudiger likes this.
  12. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Next one:

Ebay

13. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

The store I worked at carried this series in the early 90's. They came unwrapped and most of the time the matrix numbers and letters were scraped off or inked over.

14. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Yes, I forgot about that. My Kraftwerk CD has visible scrape marks in the matrix info. I thought that was weird.

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

He's right, you know. Nothing like the font. The tail of the nine is wrong for starters. It should be silver to center as well. The real thing is very distinctive.

16. c-eling

File under Best-, very nice two cd set
    Delerium -Greatest Mixes
    [​IMG]

17. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

What is the matrix number of this CD? It is almost unreadable, but I think "MPO" appears in the matrix ring.

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The same seller that Bobby Morrow used is also selling this rather awful looking Cats Without Claws fake target.
    [​IMG]
    Their Laura Branigan Hold Me CD might be legit (it sure ain't cheap).
    [​IMG]
    I think the genuine one looks like
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I wouldn't buy any CD from this seller.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

The Laura Branigan CD does look genuine. As for the Donna one, hope the seller makes a bit of cash while he or she can. All those 80's Donna CDs are getting an official re-release in December!

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to look out for her targets when they get reissued.

21. Bobby Morrow

No, sorry I didn't phrase that right. The reissues are remasters with bonus tracks. From Edsel, or one of those companies like that. Out 1/12.

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I know. I didn't phrase my reply right. I hope some people will dump their targets once the Edsel reissues are released (although personally, I don't think I would).

23. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

There seems to be a TON of these unofficial two-disc Greatest Hits collections out there. I've seen various Pink Floyd ones for instance, and a Bee Gees one with a really unusual track selection (heavy on the 80's and 90's obscure tracks if I recall).

24. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

It is all Russian companies doing it, the label Star Mark, using fake logos from the record companies. I'm sure the tracks are of dubious (ie MP3) origin.

There was one really good one to come out of them which is the Pendulum Greatest Hits one released in 2006 (and modified in 2008).

In an attempt to get a greatest hits out of one album (Hold Your Colour), the company ingeniously gathered together most of the band's known rarities at the time, which was very handy for collectors. About two thirds of this compilation are non-album tracks, some compilation, a few previously vinyl only. Since when Pendulum would release rarities on various artist compilations, they would be segued into other tracks, the compilers made sure to source the non-mixed versions from vinyl or elsewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

One that I especially liked was a Nine Inch Nails one called "The Art Of Self Destruction" [an odd title, as that song wasn't included], that not only tried to look legit, but *they gave it a Halo number!*

onionmaster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.