Best or worst 'fake' CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wait, wait, you're saying CD Maximum is a real label?!

EDIT - Oh, no, I understand what you mean. But the terminology is wrong; it's a pirate, not a counterfeit. It's not an attempt to make a legit-looking copy of a pre-existing album.

2. 3ringcircus

3ringcircus Forum Resident

Well...it's an attempt (I assume, by a real label in Russia) to make a new two-fer/compilation look like legit goods to the folks in Russia, as well as other parts of the world. It's not really pirate or counterfeit...the industry terminology is "grey-market." It's legal in Russia and perhaps other parts of Europe. You see these cheap knock-offs popping up on iTunes all the time to the chagrin of the major labels who are constantly fighting to get them removed, using U.S. copyright law (and other legal precedents) as a hammer. Problem is, copyrights are different all over the world.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    McLover likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yes. When it's a "holy grail" item, you tend to overspend. Also, when it's among the last things you need to complete a collection, the wallet opens a bit wider. Again- I got the last laugh, as I got the disc AND my money back from the seller.

Bought it back in 2009. Original SH.tv thread here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/pretty-sure-this-is-a-counterfeit-disc.176722/#post-4252284
    Here's a scan of the rear with the bar code:

scan0001.jpg

I believe that the code is the correct one for this title, but on OTHER discs in the series, the code appeared on the obi. There was no obi on this CD, nor did I buy it expecting one.

Harry

RelayerNJ likes this.
  4. HGN2001

5. live evil

live evil Senior Member

I've noticed some ridiculously cheap complete Bob Dylan boxes on ebay in the last week or so being sold by U.S. sellers. I am sure they are fake, but are there any telltale signs?

6. 3ringcircus

Harry, thank you. That's helpful.
    Well, the barcode does show up on Discogs.com as being for that title.
    http://www.discogs.com/Herb-Alpert-Beyond/release/3094514
    I don't think that proves anything...I'll do a little more digging.

7. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Yep, pirate.

8. HGN2001

You'll notice that the discogs page mentions that this D32Y disc was part of the "Audio Masters Plus" series, which basically all A&M CDs of the era belonged to, yet the disc face is missing the "AM+" logo that's present on the legit release. And just for comparison purposes on this page, here are the two pictures. First is the counterfeit, second is the legit release:

BeyondCounterfeit.jpg

[​IMG]

Harry

9. RobGordon35

I see what you're saying, but if its a digital 'clone' does it really matter? The music is the same. Identical, in fact.

10. HGN2001

It only mattered in the sense of being a collector of Herb Alpert's original CDs. I already owned a digital copy of the original CD, sent to me years ago by another collector. So, yes, it's a nice fake - but it IS a fake.

If you were collecting coins and all you needed was a 1909-S VDB penny, and someone sold you one that had faked the VDB initials, AND charged you a going market rate for the purchase price, would it really matter to you? It IS a penny after all. It was minted in the proper year. And the fake "VDB" is quite readable. Does it really matter to you?

Harry

11. RobGordon35

I see what you mean, yet… I don't collect discs so much as music. Though admittedly I do have the same lp in several editions with different sleeves, so to send money for the one I was 'missing' only to get a bootleg in return would p*ss me off a bit.

bleachershane likes this.
  12. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Thanks for posting that image. Check this out; it's the Discogs scans for the D32Y release. It shows the legit disc face and a back cover with that barcode:

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3094514

...from which I surmise that maybe, just maybe, there were legit back covers printed with AND without that barcode and that the counterfeiter happened to have one with it.

Plausible?

BTW, I checked and verified that the disc label scan and the back cover scan were in fact uploaded by the same user, negating the possibility of the back cover scan being from the fake.

13. 3ringcircus

I see other examples (with that 4-digit country code) from Japan..a few from Hong Kong. The significance of the "T" prefix is throwing me for a loop. But ultimately, those numbers just mean where the manufacturer is registered, not necessarily where the product is actually made.

14. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

What a neat idea.

15. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Those CD maximum Beatles discs used the '87 CDs for both their UK and US titles.

16. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I believe that I have that one. Why do you believe that it is a counterfeit?

17. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Funny, I remember seeing that disc for sale in a shop in Germany when I was stationed there. I almost bought it. Can not for the life of me recall why I did not.

18. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Their loss for never releasing an official best-of comp.

Mylene, c-eling and EasterEverywhere like this.
  19. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Come to think about it, AC/DC never did put out a greatest hits compilation. The grammar on this one might have been a giveaway: "Greatest Hell's Hits" :)

20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Picked this up in the early 90's, no effort whatsoever to hide it's bootleggy-ness, PSB-1 in the CD matrix :laugh:
    [​IMG]

Marc 74 likes this.
  21. HGN2001

For anyone playing along at home, I've just managed to obtain a genuine copy of Herb Alpert's BEYOND. It's the D18Y version listed here at Discogs:

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3094529

This one's surely genuine, without a doubt. It's got the right fonts, the right logos, everything's spelled correctly, the materials are all as they should be, it has inserts with Japanese catalog stuff and credits - everything but the obi for this release (pictured at Discogs, above).

[​IMG]

Harry

22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Well done! How much did you pay? If you don't mind me asking...

BTW, can you find me an original version of Barry Gibb's 'Now Voyager'CD, being as you're on a lucky streak?! That's what inspired me to start this thread!

23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You are kinda making big assumptions about discogs users. I don't know anything about this particular user, but it's not usual to find people adding data and images sourced from the internet rather than their actual collection.

It doesn't mean that there aren't two different versions (they may be two versions - one for each pressing, with artwork unique to that pressing); I would just urge caution.

24. HGN2001

It was just over $100, and normally I wouldn't spend that much, but it's one of only two Herb Alpert CDs that I didn't own in genuine form.

Harry

c-eling likes this.
  25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Sure. Some of them are very rare.

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.