Best Phono Stage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rhys2411, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

It's very cartridge dependent. A trebly cartridge through the Reflex isn't a good match; results in too much treble (which may work depending on your downstream components). All cartridges I've tried so far sound good through the Lounge. So far I've tried MM/MI Stanton/Pickering/Grado/Ortofon/AT, and MC Ortofon (with a Denon SUT). Lounge is smooth and detailed, no harshness or listener fatigue, incredible midrange. Reflex can result in fatiguing treble overload if cartridge has lots of treble. Don't get me wrong, if you listened to my system playing the Reflex with a synergistic cartridge you would be deeply impressed. The cartridges (actually styli) that I've found work best with the Reflex are the Stanton/Pickering Stereohedrons.

If I had no prior knowledge and listened to the Lounge and then the Reflex I'd expect them to be in the same price range. :)

2. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Thank you! It's a new adventure now to listen to records all over again and hear how different they sound when a phono stage thingy is engaged. Pretty amazing and unbelievable. Besides the classical music LPs, I have listened to a few rock and jazz/ fusion LPs on my system. My husband gave me a few of his multiple copies of some albums that I love, just for the fun of it. Those sound very surprising as well. Just yesterday I played Alan Parson's Project 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination' and Yes 'Going for the One'.....what a difference with the iPhono2 ! Very cool. How long have you been using phono stages, what was the first one you bought and how was your experience when you first hooked it up?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yes, it's amazing when you first hear the true sonic power that's in those tiny grooves.

First external phono stage I bought was an Aragon 47K. Excellent. (I now have 3 of them with one on (probably permanent) loan to my brother). And although not 'external', the tube phono stage in my Conrad Johnson PV12 preamp was a real eye opener too. :)

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  4. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

When did you first buy one and who recommended it? That's nice that your brother can listen to music with your special help. Very cool!

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I was in a store helping a friend buy a cartridge and one thing led to another and the salesperson let me take the Aragon 47K home to audition it. It sounded so good. I played a Grado "The Reference" cartridge through it and it was awesome. Also, it's the kind of phono preamp that can handle moving coil cartridges as well, so very flexible. They hardly ever show up used online. :)

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  6. I fully understand your position. I would love to hear your phono stage but as i live in France and the cost of shipping and taxes make it impossible. Real shame. All the best

7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

The best phono stage that I have ever heard is the unfortunately discontinued Abbington Music Research PH-77:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a noticeable upgrade over my already excellent BAY VK-P10. Though not really a fair comparison as it retailed for $13,000 (though I paid a fraction for it used), and came from the factory with NOS Mullard and Philips tubes.

8. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I live in the UK. I have just purchased the Lounge Audio LCR Mk III Phono Stage. It cost me £400 - that is around 511 USD. It took me a while to decide if this was a wise move, giving it is over two thirds more than what it retails for in the US. Initial impressions, however, are very good so I am going to concentrate on the musical pleasures it is providing me and ignore the steep price I am paying!

How long would you advise that this product need to 'run in?' I did not receive any instructions, it just arrived in a plain brown box (not complaining, just was not sure if this was how they were meant to be shipped).

9. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

My unit came on song after about a dozen Lp's..
    Even at $511 and in a brown box, it is a steal :D!
    Enjoy

xfilian likes this.
  10. chelseadave

chelseadave Active Member

I have just had a MM Phono Stage (tubes) built by a friend using top ingredients i.e: Dave Slagle and Lundahl Transformers, Duelund Caps and silver Hook-Up wire, Audio Note Tantalum Resisters and Tungsol 5687 Blackplate tubes. It is still burning in but it sounds fantastic thro my Shindo Giscours Pre and Blumenhofer FS2 Speakers. Tony Joe White, Be Good Tanyas and John Lee Hooker have never sounded better. Cartridge: MySonicLab Signature Gold via the MSL 1030 SUT.

11. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Many here seem to like the Lounge. Would it be a good match for a Dynavector cartridge? (Sorry if this has already been covered)

12. Cuki

Cuki Member

Remember, these guys on the other side of the pond still have to pay state tax on top of the retail price if I am correct? In the UK/EU, tax is incorporated into the retail price.

13. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

I've heard quite a few $$$$$ phono stages, and the best sounding one was the comparatively $$ Decware ZP-3.
    It's pretty, too.

14. beverett

beverett Forum Resident

In the same boat here.... has anyone paired the Lounge with the 20x2h?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.