Best portable speaker?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiorocks, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've had the Soundmatters foxLv2 for a long time and I love it. The battery isn't what it used to be so it's time to upgrade and it looks like Soundmatters has a new speaker called the Dash7. I found a review of the Dash7 here:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-soundmatters-foxl-dash-7

It's compared to several other Bluetooth speakers but I actually don't need Bluetooth at all. Given that, is there a better choice? I do want it to be battery-powered.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard too many, but to me the Bose Soundlinks sounded amazing for the size. (Yes, another shameless Bose plug! :D)

Ntotrar likes this.
  3. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I hate it when I find a Bose product I like :)

I have a iPod HiFi speaker dock and it has served my portable boom box needs for many years.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  4. audiorocks

Can anyone else comment on the Bose Soundlink? One downside there is it doesn't charge via USB.

5. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have the small Bose Soundlink and the FoxL Dash 7. They serve different functions. The Soundlink (purchased recently) puts out an amazing amount of reasonably balanced sound for its size. (I liked the balance better than the larger Soundlink. Its the only Bose product I own.) It can fill a room at reasonable volume.

The FoxL shines when listening nearfield. When you are within a meter it produces a better quality sound than the Bose. However, further away it is adequate for background music, but in my opinion, not much better than a clock radio. Also, the FoxL is so small you can toss it in a bag or a jacket pocket without thinking twice. The Bose is somewhat bigger and heavier, and I would have to think twice sometimes about toting it around.

7. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

With or without a separate DAC/AMP?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  8. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

All I have is a Tivoli. Good for what it is.

9. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

Jawbone is amazing for its size.

10. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I just bought my wife a Bose Soundlink Mini so she could take it outside when the kids are playing. In the store it seemed have the best sound overall, but I couldn't do a direct A/B with the Jawbone Mini Jambox since the Bose had it's own display away from the others. When we got it home I did notice the Bose was a little boomy for my taste, but for the music the kids like it's perfect. Anyway, it's pretty amazing the sound that comes out of a box that small.

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The Jawbone licenses FoxL's technology, but I prefer the FoxL. I think your assessment of the Bose is accurate.

12. audiorocks

I have both the foxLv2 and the Dash7 now and I prefer the foxLv2. The Dash7 sounds bright to me. I'm connecting to a Wavelength Proton USB DAC via a Cardas Fat Pipe cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.