Best Pressing of Pink Floyd - Animals vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jcmusic, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

If you want the best sounding vinyl, don't go for the anemic new reissue. No balls.

Musiko, hi_watt and jon9091 like this.
  2. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Really?

Pardon the pun, but I really had "high hopes".

A neutered Animals does not sound appealing at all.

izgoblin and Dr. Mudd like this.
  3. DamageCase77

DamageCase77 Well-Known Member

I ended up hunting down old originals or 70s/80s repressings of the Floyd albums I wanted because the new repressings prices were ridiculous. I saw The Wall for $45!!!!! We got an old beat up but good copy from my inlaws and I'm very happy with it.

4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Where were you shopping?
    I paid $27 for The Wall with shipping from the UK. All the single LPs were around $20 shipped to US from Amazon UK

5. X3Bowens

X3Bowens Forum Resident

I was just listening to my copy this morning! Beautiful sound - Quiet, It would be hard for me to find a upgrade!
    Demonstration copy.
    Banded for radio station play.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cutrX, izgoblin, Old Rusty and 9 others like this.
  6. DamageCase77

DamageCase77 Well-Known Member

Amazon in the US has the new repress for friggin' $47.95! Barnes and Noble has it for $37 to $45. Some of these 2 disc albums are outrageous, Physical Graffitti is the only LZ album we don't have but it's $40. We just got the wonderful new half master of Queen's Greatest hits for $32 and it's great, our cutoff price is $35 and thats if we really really want it.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Here ya go.

Search Results on Juno for: Pink Floyd the wall ยป

8. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

That's what I'd expect....ill run it thru the gpu and mofi sleeve it after opening...that will keep it better than all those originals that stayed in those cardboard sleeves
    I've read that everything about animals was just difficult to record ,engineer and master...don't remember all details..
    ....probably explains why theres never been a real effort to put out a true audiophile vinyl effort....I mean if mofi
    did atom heart mother on vinyl (the only PF album that I don't dig).....then Animals most definitely earned consideration..Animas is their only "hard rock" album and should be celebrated as such.....roger, david, & the audiophile pressing label execs did nothing apparently to ensure this recording got its vinyl special treatment..(can you tell im bitter).....I thought box's should have gotten a audiophile mastering as well but I can at least understand why it might have not..but not animals..that's tragic...the final cut also got the shaft....AP did "Amused to Death" but not the Final cut"? What's wrong with these people???:magoo:

9. honestabe316

I found an eBay seller who I can pm to anyone if that's allowed... I got 6 of the new releases for less than 23 shipped...except umma gumma
    and the wall....they are a Canadian outlet that ships from buffalo to save shipping....they had some negatives but I got 6 of the Floyd's from them and all came in great shape...actually they were initially 18 bucks but wentupto 22.39 last month....

10. honestabe316

The best one I was ever able to find besides my noisy a UK 2u/b2u was an u.s. with the marking, "for govt sale only" stamped on back....sonically decent and quiet.... My 3u/2u uk is nice but typical noise laden...

11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I used to go to military PX's (aka the jip joint) all the time and buy records in the 70's and 80's.

Most of the "for governmental/military use only" LP's that I bought were plain old stock copies with that pressed into the cover like RCA promos, or stamped on the back cover in gold ink like a CBS promo. I used to buy Elvis albums that had the "for military use only" stamp on the back cover and turn them over at the record meets, the hardcore collectors wanted them even though it's a stamped stock copy. In all the years of being in the record business, from hearing what you are all saying about the scarcity of a nice playable copy, I should have saved every sealed copy I stumbled across. It was a common LP back in the day, unlike the first 3 albums on Tower.

12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

You better take care of that bad boy, it's on Popsike from anywhere from from $163 up to $500.

Does your copy have the censored version of Pigs?

X3Bowens and hi_watt like this.
  13. X3Bowens

X3Bowens Forum Resident

Wow, Thanks Ham, Yes Sir, it is the censored version - I believe there is no earlier pressing - other than the test pressing. I actually pulled this out yesterday to give it a listen as I was thinking about picking up the 2016 Animals. After giving it a spin I decided I would probably be tossing my money away....... Although, I do think the new release is the way to go because finding a clean vintage pressing is pretty difficult for this title.

14. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Yes...lyrics on the sleeve at least. I've been buying poly sleeves and replacing as needed.

15. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

So, $40 for a 2 record set shouldn't be that big of a deal, as it's only $20 per disc?

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  16. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Original UK pressing I have is a very quiet pressing, much better than US that I used to have in every way.

17. wisebuddah

wisebuddah Active Member

Do you think there is a difference between the new UK pressing and the US one? I picked up a UK one and first side is pretty bright and a bit thin.

18. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

Apparently, they are the same.

19. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I have early copies of the US (original copy, I think) and UK LPs. I prefer the closed-in sonics of the UK pressing. Comes across as a small, cramped room where the walls are slowly closing in. The US LP sounds more spacious, as if the engineers were trying to recreate DSotM. The latest CD remaster captures the paranoid UK LP vibe best. Of course, my wife will not put up with any crackle, so she prefers the latest CD over my UK LP. And she's generally a vinyl fan.

20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Just played my original UK. Nice 'n quiet.

jon9091 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  21. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Go grab the new one, good price for a new copy of Animals....So many goobers here.
    **** I bought this thing new in 77.. the re issue sounds as good if not better.

bootbox likes this.
  22. stonesstein

stonesstein Forum Resident

DIG YOU FLOYD FOLK!! SERIOUSLY!

No BS! I am truly serious. I am a Stones/Stone Roses collector who has all of the Floyd's LPs thru Collection of Great Dance Songs and who has traded for MOST all live stuff from 67-77.

More than ANY band, Floyd people know sound and do not accept second best! Love y'all for it!

Since 1977, Animals has been my #1 Floyd LP, and I have owned no less than 10 copies from US to Australia to German, including a weird promo US version. Forgive me audiophiles, but any difference from one to the other is minimal to a layman like me.

So, because I love and trust you Floyd folk, not only which is the best vinyl version to get, but (HELP ME!),

WHY?? (Christmas time, after all....)

23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

They are are a good Seller, I've never had an issue with them, and the prices are excellent!

24. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

The Original UK and US 1st pressings were excellent, I own both, I give a slight edge to the British pressing in openness.
    But the CBS-SONY (Japan) pressing is TITS!
    Turn it up and let it rip, you can't best it in my opinion, clean,dynamic and detailed, just excellent mastering.

Kossoff is God likes this.
  25. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

You can probably get the new reissue for 20 bucks....It is as close to the original as you will get.

telepicker97 likes this.