Best Pressings of The Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Clean copies of the original pressing can be pricey. What are the best pressings of this album and (assuming original pressing is superior) how much better is it than other great pressings of this album?

I read somewhere that the master tapes for this album were damaged and unusable by the mid 70's which makes me sceptical of any pressings that weren't done early, but what do I know. :)

Also, how does the Kevin Gray mastering for the 45th Anniversary Friday Music release compare to original pressings?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  2. Zumba Zumbic

Zumba Zumbic Active Member

I am not that happy with the vinyl versions in my possession, other than I paid 50 cents for them. I have two versions, one with matrix runout stamped: ZAL 8079-5 and the other with etched ZAL-8078-16 (three dots below 16) on A side. I think they are both pre 1972 releases. Deluxe CD from 2006 sounds better to me - whatever they did to it. Orchestra and band parts have pretty much the same frequency range, where highs of the band parts on my vinyl are cut out (I confirmed that with spectral plots). Also. CD seems to have a wider stereo image, but that's just my subjective feeling. My stylus is Techincs AT440MLa, turntable Techincs SL220 and amp is Techincs SA110. My CD player is very basic.

I also heard about masters being damaged, but I find hard to believe that story.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  3. sami

sami Mono still rules

I've heard it said that the original West German CD's are outstanding. I have the MFSL CD's (ripped lossless) of all the early Moodies albums and those are the best I've heard. I own one early U.S. vinyl pressing, and it is okay, but nothing special.

4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

For the original mix, the short answer is that there really is no "good" version. From what I've heard and read, they all sound muddy.
    For the later mix, I've only ever owned CD versions, and the MFSL is my personal favorite. The original WG is a very close second, however.
    EDIT: Also, regarding the condition of the original tapes, I'm guessing they're not damaged - they've been used for things like later cassette versions, as well as a couple tracks on the Time Traveller box set. The reason they're not used is because they sound like crap. And have always sounded like crap.

5. Zumba Zumbic

By the way, I think this record is a really good artistic achievement. Everybody talks about Beach Boys "Smile", being a great experimental crossover, but this is a similar crossover, okay, Anglicana instead of Americana, but it's colossal and finished. Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of Smile, but it'll simply remain unfinished, despite the latest attempts.

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

US Sterling for vinyl
    WG for Compact Disc
    I love the tone on the Sterling, nice and warm...

7. Zumba Zumbic

Sterling? Which version? I thought all were pressed at Bell Sound?

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Not pressed, mastered at Bell.

9. Zumba Zumbic

10. Zumba Zumbic

Okay, I though they were all mastered at Bell Sound.

11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The old Mobile Fidelity pressing sounds nice

Dr. Funk and TLMusic like this.
  12. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Best pressings of The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed

Original mix:
    UK 1st press vinyl
    Deram with orange white DSS deep-groove labels. Matrices are -2W -1W

Later UK pressings are also good, German pressings not bad, as well. Unfortunately, all the US pressings I've heard of Days of Future Passed were muddy and do not demonstrate the quality of the original recording.

Remix:
    Speakers Corner reissue vinyl (perhaps the most "audiophile" version)

The old Mobile Fidelity vinyl mastered by Stan Ricker is nice as well, one of the better early MoFi's.

13. c-eling

I knew you would come along sooner or later Tom to set us all straight :cheers:
    If the MFSL is anything like Breakfast in America, I'll keep an eye out for one :)

14. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Get thee an original DERAM CD (W. German if you're superstitious) from 1990 or so. I had zero luck about ten years ago, when searching for a clean LP to make a needledrop CD from. Use that LM 515!

HiFi Guy 008 and c-eling like this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Was the remix issued on LP by Deram? I've read conflicting reports.

16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Why worry about a "WG" CD pressing?

I thought all CD versions prior to the 1997 remaster used that same mastering issued circa 1986.

I love the sound of that CD, but am unaware of sonic a difference between WG, US or Japan pressings.

Seems odd to make something more complicated than it is. For CD, just get any version pressed before the remaster. Where it was pressed is irrelevant except I think some of the later US versions were stripped down in terms of inside album art.

c-eling and bhazen like this.
  17. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I haven't found a vintage 1970s vinyl pressing from any country that used the remix. It would be interesting if there are any out there.

The only two LP pressings I'm absolutely certain use the remix are the 1981 MoFi (possibly the first appearance of the remix) and the 1998 Speakers Corner. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if other vinyl reissues since then (like Friday Music) also feature the remix.

18. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

I have the West German CD and the 2002 Japanese "British Rock Legend" CD. I prefer the sound of the W.German.

They both pretty wonderful to me.

Rodant Kapoor likes this.
  19. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

... = 1997 remaster.

20. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

I like the Speakers Corner vinyl the best and it's still available new for 34.99

The MFSL vinyl is nice as well but I think there's too much bass where it's not really called for (compared to a US Deram copy) on side one.

I really don't need another copy so I never picked up or heard the Friday Music vinyl, but if Kevin Grey mastered it I'd bet it sounds pretty good.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The Speakers Corner obviously must use the remix but it sounds pretty good. Original UK or slightly later pressings for the original mix (but a clean copy is a must).

Licorice pizza likes this.
  22. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

A couple of weeks ago I took a chance and ordered (through Discogs) a copy of this record from Sweden. I don't know if it's first press or not, stamped into the deadwax on side 1: ZAL-8078-2W; on side 2: ZAL-8079-2W. It's a stereo "Deramic Sound System" It arrived today, and I immediately did a quick cleaning and proceeded to listen to side two, probably one of my favorite record sides of all time. I'm used to hearing my early US copy, which is in very good physical condition, or the CD which was widely available in the early 90's.

It was described as NM for the vinyl, which it most certainly is! The cover was described as VG+, but I'd give it a NM as well. Anyway, I'm sitting here more or less awestruck. This isn't perfect by any means, but my goodness I've never heard this record (in its original form) sound this great! The strings, instead of being a mush of veiled goo, sound much clearer! The woodwinds, you can hear the reeds vibrate! There seems to be so much more separation of instruments and vocals which create a clarity that I've never heard with this album! It also seems to me to possibly be a slightly different mastering (or mix, I'm not sure which term is correct here) as some of the instruments which, on the US seemed to be "forced" forward, are more natural and subtle on this UK pressing.

For those in the know, is this considered a good pressing of this record? To my ears it absolutely destroys the US press. I'm speaking vinyl only, and original mix only. Thanks!

23. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Of the cheap and easily available (stateside) options, I prefer:

Vinyl: U.S. Gilbert Kong pressing (G.K. in dead wax) for the original 1967 mix.

CD: 80's WG or U.S. Polygram for the remix.

skisdlimit and LitHum05 like this.
  24. c-eling

Yes the W. German PDO #01 carries the same levels as the US, but is ten seconds shorter :confused:, could be due to indexing

25. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

That's really strange. The US silver-to-center is a few seconds longer than the US clear-center, so maybe the US silver-to-center is identical to the WG? It's PDO, but Made In USA.

The clear-center is also lacking in level and clarity, so possibly another source?

As for the 1997's, I haven't any idea how that sounds. Anybody here up on that one?

EDIT: Should check my FLAC folders to be sure my memory of it isn't wrong, but I'm next to certain the US-PDO is similar to how you're describing the WG.

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.