Best progressive metal bands and albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Metal MD, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just want to hear who people consider as the best in progressive metal, what you all think the best albums are, and why.

My favorites are some of Opeth's and Mastodon's best and Ne Obliviscaris's last 2 albums. Haken's The Mountain is up there, too. I continue to try to get into Dream Theater, but nothing is really 'grabbing me'. I really want to like that band...

Cheers,

:cheers:

2. I'd go with the two originators as being the best, though I realise you're not looking at those.

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Black Sabbath - Sabotage

I like some of the Opeth stuff, Blackwater Park and Deliverance get a lot of time here.

3. Dr. Metal MD

Nice choices. I love Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Might be my favorite one next to Paranoid. I'll have to give Sabotage another listen. As far as Opeth goes, it's really difficult for me to pick a favorite, although Blackwater Park and Still Life are way up there. When I'm in the mood for a bit more 'toned-down' prog, I'll throw on Heritage, Pale Communion, or Damnation and have a beer.

Former member 30842 likes this.
  4. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

The most progressive metal I've ever heard is on the eight CDs I have by Deathspell Omega. Certainly the most inventive extreme metal in my catalog.

Brenald79 and The Pinhead like this.
  5. Dr. Metal MD

I checked them out. That's some really extreme metal, my man. Pretty good stuff. I'm currently listening to Ihsahn's latest and trying to get into it.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Progressive Metal is not my bag for the most part. Too goofy and no groove by and large. That said, I do like the French band, Blut aus Nord who while being a black metal band, have dabbled in different aspects of progressive metal from industrial to atmospheric to full bore tr00 black metal.

7. Dr. Metal MD

That's one issue I have with a lot of Dream Theater's work ha. I just checked the band out. Pretty good stuff. Crazy how diverse it is. I love it when bands do that. Haha nice use of the word 'troo'. Is it kvlt also?

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Have you checked into The Pineapple Thief? They're pretty good (along the lines of Porcupine Tree, but heavier) and have some interesting arrangements in their songs. Some of it is quite good.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

tr00 & kvlt ;)

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  10. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks for the rec. I'll add them to the list of bands to check out.

11. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

How about some progressive black jazz metal? :)

Shining (Norway) - "Exit Sun"

Dr. Metal MD and Thermionic Dude like this.
  12. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

King Crimson's ContruKction of Light and Power to Believe are very much progressive-metal and both (especially the latter) are excellent.

I love Blind Guardian, although they're more power-metal. A Night at the Opera, probably their most proggy release, is my favourite.

Shadow Gallery is good also. While they're not power-metal, they take the same Queen influence in their vocals that Blind Guardian has, which I like (because I love Queen).

Liquid Tension Experiment has some interesting stuff. I could never quite get into Dream Theater though...a little too meandering (and the vocals are mediocre).

Iron Maiden's last few albums have been quite proggy, although maybe a stretch to call them prog-metal entirely. I think A Matter of Life and Death might be their best.

13. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

The OP might have helped by defining what Prog Metal is, and what Prog Metal isn't.

Murph and Purple like this.
  14. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Agree with the above post--I can't stand bands like Dream Theater and that Finnish symphonic stuff.

I always thought those post rock metal bands like Neurosis, Isis and Pelican sounded like offshoots of 70's prog--I like them, and Opeth, and Mastodon up to the Hunter which is where they lost me. The Ne Obliviscarus album from a few years ago is good--I haven't heard anything since them. Tool's pretty good, but I have to be in a certain mood to listen since they need an editor so badly. I'm on a spending freeze this year, so I won't be buying much.

15. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Give these a try:

Nightwish "Dark Passion Play" - great symphonic prog metal. I think it's their best musically and lyrically, but some fans prefer their earlier albums (different vocalist); my favorite from that period would be "Century Child".

Pain of Salvation "Remedy Lane" - excellent Swedish prog metal, slightly less heavy overall than Opeth at full throttle, with great songwriting. Thematically, this album is sort of reminiscent of "The Wall" with very deep, personal lyrics and emotional complexity, and highly accomplished musicianship which avoids gratuitous shredding and other superfluous wankery. This is quintessential prog metal and in my opinion probably the single best album to use to introduce someone to the genre.

Devin Townsend "Ziltoid the Omniscient" - one of the only heavy prog albums I can think of with a sense of humor (and the music will blow your brains out).

LivingForever and In-Absentia like this.
  16. Sternodox

Check out the great Sear Bliss for a pretty amazing hit of progressive black metal with trombone!

[​IMG]

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. Rev. MIke

Rev. MIke Well-Known Member

For me, there is none higher Death's Human album. Chuck's inimitable song writing paired with the master musicianship of Paul and Sean from Cynic and the mighty Steve Di Giorgio on bass. Such a leap for all metal.

stay crunchy and Michel_LeGrisbi like this.
  18. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Mastodon - Crack The Skye: Astral travel, czars and the Devil? Hell of a journey.

19. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Dream Theater can be difficult for many to appreciate...
    since their "classic" period throughout the 90s kinda established them as a strange cross between Iron Maiden, ELP, Metallica, UK, and Journey.

If you are into a darker, thicker sound with grungier vocals and more understated keyboards, then you'll probably never get into them.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Look into both Astra and Diagonal. I especially recommend Diagonal's 2008 s/t release.

Also, along the prog lines, but blurs into the stoner territory a bit is the band Ancestors who's album Neptune With Fire (2008) is very good. Long songs, but not 'jammy' type stuff like Earthless or Tia Carrera. Have you ever checked out any later day Tiamat?

21. Dr. Metal MD

Cheers, thanks for the suggestions. I know what you mean by Maiden's more recent works. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is unable to get into DT. The vocals never really grab me...at least not fully enough for me to invest in the band.

I'll check those bands out. Thanks, man. Check out Ne Obliviscaris's new album 'Citadel', it's spectacular.
    I'm the same with Tool, although I can listen to to 10,000 Days just about any time and enjoy it.

Thanks for the Pain of Salvation recommend. I'll definitely check them out and your other recs. I tried Devin Townsend, but wasn't my thing at first listen. I'll check it out again.

Definitely will. Not really a black metal fan, but I do love early Opeth, which has some black metal tendencies.

I love Sound of Perseverance, but I haven't been able to get into any of Death's earlier work. I'll give Human a try. Cheers!

One of my favorites... Simply incredible. I am fortunate enough to have the 45 RPM OP in great condition. Now that's an experience!

I'm coming to that realization myself. Cheers.

Zach Johnson and LavidDange like this.
  22. Sternodox

Not really sure I'd call Astra metal, but it's certainly most excellent heavy prog. Especially the album The Weirding! Oh man, that's such a great album!!

Thermionic Dude likes this.
  23. Dr. Metal MD

No, I haven't! I'll add it to the list. I'm listening to Ayreon - The Human Equation right now.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, none of those are probably true "metal" albums, but they're pretty close. As as close as Haken, in my book. Each to his own.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  25. Dr. Metal MD

Yeah, 'progressive metal' is definitely an extremely diverse genre. I just recently got into Haken after The Mountain was released and their excellent new EP Restoration.

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.