Best purchase you've ever made

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nate, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate

Nate Forum Resident Thread Starter

A best purchase could be because you bought a piece of equipment that was so amazing it was a paradigm shifter or could be because of the amazing price you paid. I'm sure there are other definitions of what's been your best purchase.

For me, my first pair of Magnepans were paradigm shifters. The most amazing preamp I've owned was a CJ 17LS2. My first CD player that made total sense musically was a Meridian 508.24. The best buy I've ever obtained was for my Pass INT-150 which is also a stellar product.

I guess I'm lucky as I've never put serious money into any product I later viewed as a dog.

chuck rodgers and ggergm like this.
  2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

My AR 3A's for $16.00 a pair.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My Oppo 103D - 2 years ago right around now - $500.

tmtomh, mike catucci and Mark E. Moon like this.
  4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

My Esoteric K-03 CD/SACD player. It has transformed the sound of my recordings.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

A wedding ring.

6. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I've been building my modest system over the past year. I think I've chosen pretty well and enjoy all of it. But the best purchase? My Nitty Gritty. That thing works wonders. I can say for anybody who listens to vinyl, get a record cleaning machine. So worth the money.

7. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

In terms of sheer bang for buck, it's gotta be Auralex speaker isolators.

timind likes this.
  8. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

My VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine. No other upgrade gave as much back as this one.

Dino, cmndrums, papatwo and 7 others like this.
  9. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

Magnepan MMG speakers.

10. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

My Klipsch Cornwalls....love these things!

RPhelps, HAmmer, James RD and 2 others like this.
  11. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Harbeth 7ES3

IanL, Boaz and norman_frappe like this.
  12. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Me too.

ER..UH I mean mine.

jerol

norman_frappe likes this.
  13. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

My Pro-Ject Tube Phono Pre Amp. My system was already in place and this thing lit it up.

Im deathly afraid of what the $2000 - $3000 pre-amp units sound like.

Wade Burrow likes this.
  14. Sugarfoot

Sugarfoot New Member

My Hafler DH-500. Built from a kit in about 1982. A major purchase for me at the time, first and only electronics I ever built. Still going strong.

33na3rd likes this.
  15. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Man, you must have something great stashed in a corner of the basement...

" I swear honey, that pair of MC-30s has been there for **years**!!"

:)

- Kevin

16. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

Fisher 500c. Even better after it was fully restored at NOS Valves last year.

17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

My humble Jolida JD 102b tube integrated stereo amp sporting the wonderful EL84 power tube. Just amazing sound for under $500 at the time(about 10 or so years ago). I just discovered synergy between this amp and the Denton (Wharfedale) recent acquisition. Very warm sound-get out the Pavorotti operas on lp and enjoy!

18. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

My newly improved time machine:
    [​IMG]

33na3rd and relaxdrax like this.
  19. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

A VTL TL5.5 Preamp and a ST85 Power Amp would cost 50 000 shekels New in Israel.

Picked up both units and a full set of spare tubes for 11 000 Shekels payable over 36 Months with no interest.

tyinkc, Metralla and jupiterboy like this.
  20. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I agree completely with the VPI 16.5 recommendation upthread. Nothing else has given me a greater sonic bang for the buck than my record cleaner. The fact that I bought it used for $275 just makes it better, although it was an early model and I've spent maybe close to $200 over the years upgrading the machine to whatever was then the current standard. If you have any depth in your record collection, you need to buy a VPI 16.5. I'm sure there are better record cleaners on the market, often discussed here, but for around $600, you can't beat the VPI 16.5 with a stick.

That said, my B&O Beogram 8002 turntable runs a close second. Again I bought it cheap but now have more than $1,000 into it with various repairs and a new Soundsmith cartridge. It's worth every penny as a constant companion, sounding great while playing records with a touch of sophistication. It isn't even the best turntable in my stereo but I've been listening to it all morning, putting on record after record, pressing start, walking away, confident it will turn itself off at the end of the album. I bought it in 1986 and have enjoyed it thoroughly ever since. It looks good, sounds even better, and operates flawlessly. What more could I want?

[​IMG]

21. james

james Summon The Queen

I need to get one of those record cleaning machines, though I buy mostly new records.

KEF LS50 has to be the winner for me. I'm of the opinion that finding the right speaker and building around it is the way to put together a system. These work great for me and my room.

papatwo likes this.
  22. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

My Audio Research Ref75, I had swore off tube power amps because of the maintainence and heat but the Ref75 is a game changer. All the benefits with none of the hassle of tubes.

BD2665 and tyinkc like this.
  23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Revolutionized the way I view vinyl?

1. Like many others, a VPI 16.5. Never knew about wet cleaning a record and vacuuming the liquid could work.

2. The Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch combo. Practically got my money back on the first day I owned it by flattening a couple of Classic Records 45 rpm releases. Amazing.

Dino likes this.
  24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That AR amp is certainly well liked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.