Best purchase you've ever made

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nate, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Definitely my Von Schweikerts VR 4 Gen II. Amazing speakers and...
    Got 'em for a "song" :D

2. A Thorens TD124MKII fully restored by Schopper
    a pair of Omega 7XRS loudspeakers
    Audio engine D2 wireless DAC so I can stream my lossless files to my stereo. Now THAT is a game changer. The other items on my list are fantastic but they are improvements on stuff I had before.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  3. gojira

gojira Active Member

For me it would be the Rega Brio 3 and my Neat Mystiques. They are both so musically engaging......

4. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Bought a Thorens TD 125 deck with a SME arm and Shure V15 III for £75.00 from a record exchange shop about 10 years ago. Bargain or what!

Nate likes this.
  5. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

Right now for me it is the PS Audio Directstream DAC that really has changed the way redbook music, (and I have way too much), sounds. Stuff that really used to sound bad is suddenly......

Also, my Linn LP 12 which I got about 15 years ago that I waited about 20 years to get, is at least tied for first place!

6. triple

triple Senior Member

Is it just me, or there is a contradiction in terms there (none of the hassle of tubes)?

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Simple, it's easy to set the Bias and stays dead on and because it only uses 4 output tubes it runs fairly cool.

8. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Sennheiser HD600 headphones. I never knew what I was missing.

Runners up would be the Rega RP6 turntable, the Record Doctor record-cleaning machine, and the Marantz 2230 receiver.

9. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Very nice! My first "real" turntable was a Luxman PD-264 that was given to me, and it was super-nice. The built-in strobe is a nice feature.

10. triple

triple Senior Member

Perhaps, but the way it was phrased sounded like "I like all fish, but not the ones with bones". ;)

11. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

OPPO PM-2 headphones. Only nine days old and I'm still getting a handle on them and what they're doing exactly. I did audition the Audeze LC-2 in the summer but it wasn't a good audition (inferior electronics and the 'phones were physically uncomfortable). I've had some dramatic steps up the hifi ladder before (PSB to ATC speakers, Pro-ject Debut turntable to Nottingham, forgotten entry level cart to Dynavector 17D3) but they were costly and expected improvements. This step up from Sennheiser HD600 to Oppo PM-2 is way beyond my expectations. My Senns were ten years old so is it possible they were completely worn out and depleted or something? I'd have to hear a new pair to know. Luxurious sounding. The primary difference is the bottom end. Good sounding music is glorious and the nasty sounding stuff is much more enjoyable. Sorry for the longish post but I'm right in the midst of a hifi honeymoon! :love:

TraneLives likes this.
  12. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

My first game-changer was a pair of Koss Portapros. Not an exaggeration to say I had never heard a pair of serious headphones before. All my previous headphones were basically $10 headphones you could get at the grocery store.

Prophetzong and JPartyka like this.
  13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Very interesting.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Buying my future wife tickets to the first Harry Potter movie.

Licorice pizza and Brother_Rael like this.
  15. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I bought a used Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated Amp with HT Bypass as an experiment to up my music listening over the AVR I have.

Best investment with great returns on sonic quality, fantastic phono pre, balls to the wall power, and allows me to have a 2 in 1 system for both HT and music.

16. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

Got a retipped Benz-Micro Ebony cartridge for $800 because they made a mistake on my order for a Glider. Told me to just keep the Ebony. My local dealer said it was the best deal he's ever seen

17. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

My Hifiman HM-901 with Minibox amp card.
    Sublime sound anywhere.

18. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Choosing to go steady with Vandersteen speakers, most likely...

BD2665, Fiddlefye and Humbuster like this.
  19. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

You mean like 'ever' in my whole life? Too many to name.

20. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Bought a girl an Absolut Bloody Mary at a bar in a Chinese restaurant in 1987
    It'll be 25 years this year...
    Best $3.50 I ever spent

Tlay, timind, 33na3rd and 2 others like this.
  21. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Congrats! Quality is remembered, long after price is forgotten. :)

22. Mike Novak

Mike Novak Forum Resident

Melos sha-1 pre-amp, about 250 euros, incredible with headphones ! B&W dm4, 100 euros, in my top 5 vintage speakers.

TraneLives and 33na3rd like this.
  23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Hard to pin it down to one item but like some others I have to put the RCM that I bought as a top purchase. I'm a record lover so the Okki Nokki has been just a great addition.

BD2665 likes this.
  24. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I would say my dvr ,but I only rent it form the cable company , I love CD ,SACD BR ect but this thing is the best invention any TV fan could even want

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, it's hard for me to believe it took me so long to get one.

Dino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.