Best purchase you've ever made

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nate, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

My NHT VT-2.4 speakers. I've gone through a bunch of other gear in the last 10 years or so but I still have these.

mdm08033 likes this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

It's a tie between my Meadowlark Audio Kestrel HRs or my Resolution Audio CD50. Both were fantastic deal through ebay many years ago.

3. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

How long did it take you to acquire such choice examples of all the most desirable vintage audio equipment on gawdz green irth?

crooner likes this.
  4. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

It took me 22+ years overall to assemble this system. I started pursuing vintage tube hi-fi in 1992 when I came across a McIntosh MC30 and C20. Never found a mate for the MC30, but my love of vintage tube gear started there. I researched everywhere for information. Had a local library donate their High Fidelity and Audio Magazine collections to me in the mid 1990's. It was around this time that I became intrigued with Marantz. Their Model 9 monoblocks were elusive and virtually impossible to find in the pre eBay days. And in later years I could not afford them. Luckily this year a pair came across at a price I could actually afford so I took the plunge. This is the most I have ever spent on audio, but worth it.

The Model 7 I have is the finest I could find after going through 2 previous ones. Any Model 7 working to specs is wonderful, but there is something special about the early ones.

The Model 10 took me about five years to find. I am fascinated by the 10/10B designs and having a super early Model 10 was high on my list.

I can positively say now that my search is over...

gojira and MonkeyMan like this.
  5. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

My Rega RP3 turntable & Odyssey Khartago power amp.

6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Best purchase I ever made was my first step-up transformer for MC cartridges. The brand is not important (but it was an Expressive Technologies). When I got away from transistor head-amps (e.g. Klyne) into full-function tube preamps (e.g. CJ and CAT) and high-gain/low-noise transistor or "hybrid" phono stages (e.g. Krell and ARC), into a passive MC transformer step-up with a tube MM phono stage, real music came forth to my ears from vinyl like I had never heard from recorded music before.

Shiver likes this.
  7. gojira

gojira Active Member

Indeed and well-deserved at that! In the present world of instant gratification and quick fixes, I must give you kudos to your virtues of patience and determination. Though my search into the realm of vintage gear is just beginning( i.e. late!), I am truly inspired so thanks for sharing.:tiphat:

crooner likes this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Probably my Empire 698 turntable. I bought it new in 1976, & it is still working perfectly in 2014. Their ads used to say "the last turntable you'll ever need to buy". I think they were spot on.

Colin M likes this.
  9. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

1. Gibson Les Paul Deluxe lefthanded in 1980
    2. Linn LP12 turntable sometime around 1990
    3. Oppo BDP-105 a couple of years ago

10. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

You are most welcome!

11. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

It is a tie between the Ascend Sierra 1 NrT speakers (who are responsible for the damage to my jaw each time it drops) or the Peachtree Nova who's DAC continues to blow me away after almost 3 years.

12. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

My second house. Allowed me to listen to music without constraint, and almost trebled in value within 7 years.

Dublintown and Metralla like this.
  13. Musically, my recently-acquired Nak RX-202. Got it on the cheap from eBay and is in immaculate condition, complete with original box and owner's manual. Was relubed, rebelted, caps checked, etc etc and is a really sweet little deck.

Otherwise, our condo in Florida. Like chrism1971, bought it on foreclosure and has increased in value over the past few years. On the Intracoastal and about five minutes from the ocean. Real BLISS!!

gojira and Metralla like this.
  14. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Easy. My original Slim Devices Squeezebox 3 (since replaced with Logitech Squeezebox Touch). Opened me up to whole world of ripping all my cds (and later acquired vinyl rips) to my dedicated music server. No more fumbling for cds - instant access to whatever I want, flexible search engine, etc. GREAT!

rodentdog likes this.
  15. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

PS Audio Direct Stream. Paid too much and it will obsolete pretty quickly but damn it sounds good!! I also have the bridge and love scrolling throught my collection so easily. I rarely play records anymore!

16. russk

russk Forum Resident

Hahahaha. Those are wayyyy more costly then any stereo system ever made

17. russk

russk Forum Resident

My Fisher 500c that I decided to get after reading posts in this Forum. Once restored it smoked my modded B&K gear and got me into tubes and vintage audio. Plus I got a sweet deal on an absolutely mint condition one.

bluesky and mikeyt like this.
  18. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

I've always had good luck with stereo equipment. When I came home with a new... and my wife would moan, I would point out the cost per day of stereo equipment and she would usually relent and say ok. She is a big music fan, and that helps. Over the years I had, an Advent 300 receiver that i drove a SAE 31b with. A NAD 3020, Nakamichi tape decks, Klipsch hereseys and then La Scalas. Now Magnepans, Audio Research, etc. Really, just pennies a day over the years. The best bargain in entertainment. IMHO

gojira and Gordon Johnson like this.
  19. tricka

tricka Member

Hmmm. my Spendor SA1's or LS3/5a's, which seem to survive all the comings and goings of hardware, and never fail to put a smile on my face. For when I want to listen to music and not worry about hi fi.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  20. Nate

Nate Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had a 16.5 for a while. I then sold it for very nearly what I paid.

Fast forward a few years I see one on A'gon in my area described as a mint demo. I looked at it- looked new and bought it for less than I sold my 1st 16.5

Definitely ranks as one of my better purchases

21. gojira

gojira Active Member

I have one of these that I had inherited from my father. He bought his new when visiting Japan. It still is in mint condition and a great deck. Was going to include my SAE Mark XXXIB amp and XXX pre as best purchases but the amp blew the left channel last year and given my current location, remains inoperable.

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You have a point. ;)

23. gojira

gojira Active Member

hey-meditation helps me to forget or as my guru would advise-become 1 with the music.........:D

24. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Yup. This. Got into computer audio server and never looked back! Using Transporter these days with a Touch in storage.

25. tomd

tomd Senior Member

My Coincident Audio Dynamo 34se El34 single ended headphone amp.Got it at the introductory price of $999.Have it running just the mid/tweeters of my VSA Vr4jr mrk3 speakers.Midrange to die for with great immediacy ,looks Fantastic too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.