Best quality blank DVD-R discs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Clark V Kauffman, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident Thread Starter

There have been threads on this question in the past — six to 13 years ago! — but I’m wondering what brand of DVD-R disc is the best or most reliable now, in 2019. I’ve been very disappointed lately with Sony discs, Memorex and Verbatim....

2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

3. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. Verbatim DVD-R's made in Taiwan seem to be good, I've used them in the past and still use them now, I have a few burned around 8 years ago and they play fine.
    Avoid Verbatim or any other recordable disc made in India like the plague.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

[​IMG]
    THESE ARE STILL AROUND AT AMAZON...TY'S MADE IN JAPAN...

6. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I used TY from Japan in the past but have no experience since they were taken over and use a new dye formula.Any input?All my original TY CD-r and DVD-Rs are going on 10 years old and about 200 of them seem to play perfectly.

All Down The Line likes this.
  7. Michael

I've had no problems with the JVC Branded...also mindblowing: I have some Imation CDRs from the late 80's that still play perfectly...

amonjamesduul and Kiko1974 like this.
  8. Sorry formy ignorance but I thought CDR was a thing from the 90's.

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

LOL...my mistake

10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

What would you use to record a CD on now? Or do you just use crappy MP3 quality?

Kiko1974 likes this.
  11. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I've recorded thousands and thousands of discs and still consider Taiyo Yuden the best, even though Japan stopped making them.

12. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Go to the audio hardware section and look up the Tayio Yuden to stop making blank media thread for some good suggestions.

13. I think you misunderstood my post. One forum member replied saying that he had CD-R's that work since the late 80's and I answered the I thought that CD-R were a thing of the 90's on the sense that I think CD-R's first showed up in the 90's and not the 80's.
    But answering your question when I want to (can I say this here?) make a copy of a CD I borrowed from a friend I use an internal LG BD burner turned into external with a USB case with an external power supply as it works at 12 volts, my laptop has a Panasonic built in DVD-R but I find the LG BD burner to be more reliable. And I use Taiyo Yuden CD-R's or so says Amazon Spain. I also rip the CD to FLAC using dBPoweramp which has an AccurateRip function, and the ripped CD to FLAC then goes to a Toshiba SSD to be played on my Sony UBP X-800 UHD BD player.
    I have NEVER, EVER used MP3 or had an MP3 file.
    More questions?

14. Michael

I stocked up on JVC DVD-R Made In Japan blanks...

15. Michael

it's going to get less and less as the DVD-R dries up...I always look for spindles in thrift shops...they're so cheap! currently I have plenty of my choice DVD-R Brand: JVC. THEY ARE DISCONTINUED AND SEEM PRETTY HARD TO FIND...if you see them for a reasonable price buy them! they are not even available on ebay!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.