best reasonably priced DAC you've heard?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spaceboy, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I resemble that remark.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Rega DAC-R. <$1k, if I recall a'right.

Ntotrar likes this.
  3. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

Resemble? Are you warm and lush? ;)

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

A lush, maybe.

Kyhl and Grissongs like this.
  5. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

My Pi is connected via USB to a PS Audio Nuwave DAC. If you want a dac that connects directly to the Pi then the HiFiBerry+ seems to be the way to go. If you're happy using a USB cable then I like the Schitts. The Jaunary HiFi Choice just did a group test of 6 £500 to £800 USB DACS that would work with the Pi.

6. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

The Rega DAC-R @ £500 won the Hi-Fi Choice group test.

Vinyl_Blues, Robert C, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  7. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I wish there was a big test with octave metrum, ifi idsd, rega dac, schiit, ect

8. russk

russk Forum Resident

iFi DACs for under 800 bucks. Then Schiit Gungnir or Rega DAC-r

9. russk

russk Forum Resident

It's what I went with. It's an amazing sounding DAC and built like a tank.

bhazen likes this.
  10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I like the Aune X1S for what I paid (retails for $289 - got it for $199 on Massdrop), but I only had a less expensive Fiio E10 to compare it to. I like that in it's price range it handles up to 32 bit and 384 DSD natively. A headphone amp is also built in.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-x1s-32bit-384khz-dsd-dac-headphone-amplifier

Perhaps someday I'll upgrade to something nicer, but I'm more than happy at the moment. It's supplying audio from my laptop (via USB) to Audioengine A2+ speakers. It's my home office music rig.

Mindhead1 likes this.
  11. Anything that sounds like Schiit.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  12. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

PS Audio Link DAC III is not a bad one, little on the lush side and not the most detailed DAC out there. They have a newer one out that I have not tried yet.

13. padreken

padreken Senior Member

The
    That's what I have-love it, a great buy that has made all my digital music more involving. The headphone amp sounds great with my Sennheiser 580's, too.

JMCIII likes this.
  14. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I love the Apogee Duet II that I use. I never liked digital music until I started using it! Bonus for being able to do high rez vinyl rips, and even some home recording if you play music yourself.

15. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

Schitt Bifrost Multibit.

Levitated, Merrick and zonto like this.
  16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

So you bought the Bifrost Multibit? You had started a thread asking for DAC recommendations. And the Bifrost Multibit was one you were considering.

17. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

The best cheap DAC I've heard is the Geek Out 450. I run a mini-RCA cable from the line-out to my amp. Sounds excellent. I prefer it to the ODAC.

18. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

19. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

I'm using the little Meridian Explorer ($300). Doesn't look like much, a little tube shaped like an oversized Bic lighter. Handles 24/192. I like it and I've never been fond of digital. Took it with me to audition the Decware SET — in Decware's Steve Deckert's own listening room. He was impressed with the sound, and I was using it to evaluate his amp. I'm sure he would have cried foul if he thought the Explorer was doing a disservice to his flagship amp.

The current Explorer model incorporates Meridian's high-res streaming scheme, which Tidal has announced it will adopt.

I'm sure there are better DACs for more, but if $300 is your price point, I'd definitely give it a listen.

Robert C and Peter Baird like this.
  20. Big-Faced-Child

Big-Faced-Child Forum Resident

I have, there is a thread here - Raspberry PI + I2S Dac »

Excellent results and great price
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

I'm an analog guy, but I use the Peachtree Dac*it for my cds & computer.

22. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have four Schiit DACs. The Gungnir Multibit is magic.

audiomac and Hutch like this.
  23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

If your idea of reasonably priced is less than $10K, then it's the Schiit Yggdrasil or Gungnir multibit. If your idea of reasonably priced is less than $1K, Schiit Bifrost multibit. If your idea of reasonably priced is under $500, Schiit Bifrost 4490 (notice a trend?). And if your idea of reasonably priced is less than $300, the LH Labs Geek Out V2.

If you absolutely positively must have your DAC connect directly to your Raspberry Pi, then none of those will be an option and you should look at Hifiberry and similar companies. Personally I'd suggest getting the Digi+ add-on from Hifiberry so you can run optical and coax out of your Raspberry Pi, and then connect that to one of the Schiit DACs I listed above.

My personal preference is the Bifrost Multibit, but the 4490 is getting stellar reviews as well.

Hutch and mwb like this.
  24. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

25. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

I'm really interested in this. Right now I'm running a Wyred4Sound Dac 2 and using an Apple TV to stream.

My intentions have always been to upgrade the apple TV but I have never done it. The Aries Mini would seem to be a much better solution to streaming. I wonder how it's DAC compares to my Wyred though.

I believe you can use the Mini with a DAC, but it would be great if the Mini was comparable or even better than the DAC2. That would allow me to sell the Wyred and use those funds to purchase the Mini.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.