Best Record Player Under $2000?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ATSMUSIC, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member Thread Starter

Best Record Player Under $2000?

I will be in the market in the future so want to start looking now. :)

2. deckeda

deckeda Forum Resident

Complete with tonearm? And with cartridge?

3. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

If the answers are 'yes' and 'yes', then I would have to say that the Clearaudio tables are certainly in the running. Go as high up the ladder as you can afford. The Rega RP6 is also worth listening to. They take very different approaches to lp playback so listening is the best way to decide. Reviews of both are glowing but may not be able to identify which table matches your listening values.

4. ATSMUSIC

Yes, with everything. I also will have to purchase a phono preamp won't I? My current preamp does not have one. :sigh:

Gavinyl likes this.
  5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

If you don't mind using almost the whole budget on the turntable, take a look at the VPI Scout. Otherwise...I don't know about "best" but I like the Pro-Ject RM5.1SE for $999. You could add a phono preamp like the PS Audio GCPH and a Sumiko Blue Point Evo III and maybe get it all in pretty close to $2000.

McGuy and Gavinyl like this.
  6. ATSMUSIC

I was just looking at the Scout right before I checked back here. My bidget for the record player is $2000 without the Preamp. I do not yet understand exactly how the preamp works and all. I was reading up on it the other day. Seems you need it because it has to eq and amplify the very low signal? so would I just hook up the phono premp to my own preamp or how does that all work?

Gavinyl likes this.
  7. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

A phono preamp is easy to operate. It will range in size from a small box to a larger unit about the size of a CD player. It can be solid state or use tubes. Simply plug the output interconnects of the turntable into the input of the phono pre, and the output of the phono pre into on of the aux inputs of your preamp. You will also need an extra set of interconnects to do this.

You will want to consider if you will be using a high or low input cartridge. All standard phono pre's can handle high output cartridges and that route is generally much less expensive. If you go with a low output cartridge, you will need special electronics for that.

Regarding turntables under $2000, would you consider used items? If so, I recommend checking out a gently used Linn LP12. If a used one's got enough of the right upgrades, the performance will be quite outstanding in my experience. Incidentally I bought my LP12 from a dealer, which meant I had no worries about set up and adjustments, which some say can be tricky. However, once adjusted, a Linn will work great for many years in my experience.

Gavinyl likes this.
  8. ATSMUSIC

Glad to hear the phono preamp isn't terribly complicated. I am totally new to this so I have a lot to learn. I have the time because I certaintly don't have the money yet. I am starting to save though. Sounds like I will want to go with a high output cartridge to save money. I do not want to consider used. I prefer to buy things like this new.

Gavinyl likes this.
  9. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

This is just my opinion. If you are new, you want things to be as simple as possible. To that end, buying a package where everything is already assembled and calibrated is a good move. I again point to the Clearaudio Concept. You even get a choice of carts.

The last thing you need is a bad experience because you didn't set something up correctly. $2k is a lot to spend if you are gambling. It is a bargain if you invest it well though!

SirMarc, Kristofa, FashionBoy and 2 others like this.
  10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Go with a Rega

Ntotrar and Gavinyl like this.
  11. el34eh

el34eh Member

I'd have to say either a Rega RP3................., but if you want something that looks better, but is less musical?, then go after the &€}_.¥¥\_*%}'NBC and be happy for all of one month before wanting to sell it. Regards,Oscar

russk and Gavinyl like this.
  12. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

second hand LP12

John, EasterEverywhere and Gavinyl like this.
  13. Csericks

Csericks Forum Resident

I bought a used VPI HW-19 on which I put a Grado Reference Platinum I; at about a grand I am in love!

Doc Diego likes this.
  14. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

Not trying to thread jack, but I currently have an NAD 533 (basically an OEM Rega P2) with various upgrades (acryllic platter, 2M Red, white belt). My local dealer carries ClearAudio and Pro-Ject tables, I'm also looking at something in the $1,500 - $2,000 range.

How would you describe the differences between Rega RP6, ClearAudio Concept, and Pro-Ject 2 Xperience? What sort of improvement would I expect? I'm also debating just upgrading the cartridge on my current table to 2M Blue/Bronze.

Rest of my setup is:
    Rega Fono pre
    NAD C352 integrated
    Paradigm 9se speakers

About the only thing I don't like on my current setup is that there is a bit of sibilance on some tracks, certainly a typical issue on lower end tables/cartridges.

Gavinyl likes this.
  15. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Gavinyl likes this.
  16. deckeda

deckeda Forum Resident

@ATSMUSIC
    Since it seems you're new to vinyl there are three areas I recommend concentrating on.

1) a prematched setup from say, Rega, Clearaudio. I think there are others, such as that Marantz for about $1400.

2) #1 takes the guesswork out of selection and setup, two aspects that kill the joy in short order if you don't relish the hunt. And frankly, the differences between most cartridges, tonearms and turntables won't mean much right now and that's OK!

3) learn about record and stylus cleaning and how correct setup ensures your LPs don't prematurely wear.

4) only after #1-3 are satisfied would I worry about why one component might sound better than another. I don't think you need to spend $2K to satisfy those first three at all.

jupiterboy and Gavinyl like this.
  17. vinylphilemag

vinylphilemag Member

I'll add my voice to the "Clearaudio Concept" crowd. Get it with the Concept MC cartridge, and I think you'll be very happy. :righton:

McGuy and FashionBoy like this.
  18. ATSMUSIC

I was just looking at that one when I came back to check this thread! Amazing how this happens lol.

Yeah it scares me a lot how much is involved with all of this. I do not understand it at all really.

Gavinyl likes this.
  19. ATSMUSIC

Yes I am brand new and just started looking very recently. Thanks so much for the tips. I can see why people start looking into a vinyl setup then back out.

Gavinyl likes this.
  20. deckeda

deckeda Forum Resident

Check out any local dealers near you. It'll be worth the drive to talk to a human, although we pretend to be them here.

Vinyldude63, SBurke and Gavinyl like this.
  21. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

:uhhuh:

thesisinbold likes this.
  22. ATSMUSIC

Yeah not knowing anything at all about setup and all that, that looks like a real logical solution and under my budget (by $1). :laugh:

Gavinyl likes this.
  23. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

If you only want a new turntable under $2000., then I highly recommend considering a Rega as being the most practical choice. They are very musical sounding and really simple to maintain.

If you were to poll the members here, I bet you would find that more people on SH.tv have Rega turntables than any other brand. I happen to have a Rega for my second turntable, and my only regret is that I didn't pay a little more and get a P5 when they were on massive sale.

It's always fun to dream for someone else. :cheers:

Gavinyl likes this.
  24. ATSMUSIC

The RP6 with cartridge is $2000 from Music Direct. Same price as the Clearaudio someone else recommended.

25. ATSMUSIC

Does anyone know the difference between the MC cartridge and the MM cartridge. It is a $500 difference between the two! :eek:

Gavinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.