Best Record Player Under $2000?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ATSMUSIC, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Great advice here!

2. vinylphilemag

vinylphilemag Member

QFT, this is very good advice! The only caveat I would add is to make sure they know what they're doing when it comes to TT set up!

3. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Really?

4. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

From LP Magazin (Germany) review 6/10. Parts are sourced from a "well known Asian manufacturer" (not named - noblesse oblige), but the gold-plated boron cantilever and ML tip are a giveway I'd think. The Clearaudio body is an Al-Mg alloy with ceramic coating and they do tune it for lower compliance than an AT.

5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Im thinking buy a new table under $2000, VPI almost release the new site with new tables I think: http://www.vpiindustries.com/
    my big question is, VPI tables really worth the money??? or are simply overgraded tables!!! just "luxury" and some others that cost less are better???
    any help on VPI? worth or not... thank you!

6. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

Pick up a used Scout for $1300 or so. As others have mentioned, you need a good cartridge. IMO, VPI is worth it.

7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes I was think in buy an used VPI but even used is a good table... maybe is me... but VPI's are truly better than other brands of the same range of money, you know ClearAudio etc... I mean tables under $5000, I dont count very high end stuff of 8K or more...

8. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

A few thoughts...

Discounting my VPI bias (I own the Scout-- not the new model), the reviews on the Scout are crazy great. The base is thick and heavy. They use MDF and put the money in the motor and components. I like that ethic. It's why I believe their tables sound better than similar priced tables. The tonearm is an absolute BI*CH to set up, but once you're there and dialed in, you're golden. I picked mine up for around $1300. Put the rest of the money into the cartridge.

I'd put it this way: I've never heard anyone regret buying a VPI table. I've heard many regret buying others. Plus they resell so well, you probably wouldn't lose much on a used table.

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

sounds good, I wait for the new VPI tables to see prices or search a used VPI, Im curious about the new VPI Prime ($3500 If I remember...)

MikeJedi likes this.
  10. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

Oh-- one more thing--

VPI doesn't abandon you after you buy. I can fully upgrade my Scout to the latest and greatest hardware without starting over. I like that, too.

stenway likes this.
  11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

what Scout you have? Im confused with 1.1, 2.0, acrylic platter, metallic platter bla bla... I think new just is called SCOUT, not 1.1 etc...

12. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

I have the Scout 1.0. Acrylic platter (which I just visually love, even if the new fancy aluminum one is better). It's got the JMW-9 tonearm-- just an amazing and simple design that you will prick your finger on when installing, it's just gonna happen, brace for it. Then you'll spend three days adjusting the stupid counterweight. I'd love a fancier table with dial adjustments, but it's just too far out of my price range. The 1.1 added the aluminum platter. The 2.o-- not sure what the change was there. I guess it's just .9 better!

o0OBillO0o likes this.
  13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

cool!
    I remember read in vpi site 1.1 vs 2.0 dont have any sonic difference, just better fine adjusments in 2.0... something like that,
    in the current site I just see VPI SCOUT with any number, so maybe they will release just a new one or keep the 2.0 like the current and only scout, I dont know I just say, I wait.

14. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

Looking at the sales sheet, looks like they refined the platter, changed the tonearm to a taper design (although mine is also tapered... whatever) It looks like they changed the feet on the unit to a ball bearing design.

15. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Yes, purchase new for your first deck from a store near you, where you can listen and take in your albums, and get after sales service. What do you have for an amplifier, speakers?

16. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

There will be 3 normal production Scouts for 2015.... Scout Jr, Scout 1.1, Scout 2 ( the Scoutmaster will be a special build type table). You will also have the Prime which is somewhat of a highly upgraded Scout.

If you are looking to spend $2000 on a new table (not including the cartridge), then the 1.1 would be a great option. The Scout Jr is also a very, very good table at $1500.

And yes, you are correct, the Prime is $3500 until January 1, were it will have a small price increase to $3800. The $3500 is a special introductory price.

Where are you located?

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the platter upgrade on 1.1 to 2:
    Scout platter = 1 3/8” thick aluminum and oil bath bearing
    Classic platter = 2” thick aluminum and inverted bearing

really brings better sound or ? whats the advantage of a more high platter? I always curious about that, maybe because arm stay more horizontal position? or...?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

19. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

To me, the thicker platter generally gives you a little more low end response and top end detail.

stenway likes this.
  20. Gavinyl

Rega RP1

Enjoy the vinyl path !

21. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

Sounds like the consensus is the Scout 1.1.

22. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

RP1? I would expect the RP6 to outperform the RP1, and it'll be less than the OP's $2000 limit even after adding a cartridge.

23. Gavinyl

1st deck + phono stage + cartridge= $ for records !!!
    Start basic then you can appreciate differences/upgrades in cart/arms/phono stages etc...
    Can go crazy after that and get a megabucks deck !!

24. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

25. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. I still have not purchased a record player. I have bought many records getting ready for it though.
    I really appreciate all the feedback and keeping this thread bookmarked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.