Best Record Player Under $2000?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ATSMUSIC, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

1980 Sansui SR-838 ($400 or so used). 1979 SR-929 is great too! ($550+ used).

Gives you plenty of money left over for a $250-$500 Cart.

2. Me three. I think I got the last one from Jerry Raskin. It's a wonderfully capable table. I started looking for big sturdy monsters but ended up with a sleek nimble gazelle!:)

FashionBoy and Tommyboy like this.
  3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Linn LP12 overrated tables?
    all looks like a $500 $700 music hall or project... but Linn price are around $1500 or more and used...

4. Meloski

Meloski I don't roll on Shabbat

I'm shopping in the same price range as well. Thinking about the PRO-JECT 6Perpesx. Opinions please.

5. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member Thread Starter

OK, I guess I got overwhelmed back then.
    5 years later I am REALLY close to pulling the trigger.
    I am leaning heavily towards the Music Hall - MMF-7.3. I have not ruled out the Rega RP-6 either, especially since it is the same price now as the Music Hall. Another that was mentioned here I have not ruled out either, the Clearaudio.

I gave a lot of consideration to VPI but I cannot really stay under 2K with those. I really want a player that comes with cartridge, player and dust cover for under 2k.

6. loudwizard

loudwizard Well-Known Member

SirMarc, Jack Flannery and unravelled like this.
  7. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Well, that was random.

And the LP12 is a lot better than a $500-700 Music Hall or Pro-Ject.

8. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident

I have an MCS 6603. They arent super easy to come by sometimes, but i got mine for around 70 dollars (through craigslist) and its a great turntable , has all the bells and whistles a turntable should have. (besides automatic arm!). I only got mine for so cheap because it has no dust cover. You can find ones with the dust cover on them go from around 150-300 dollars on some websites like ebay or craigslist. I'm a little bit of a "starter" vinyl collector, (only about 40 albums), and its a great player honestly even if you arent a starter. It sure doesnt sound or feel like one! hooks up to all my gear just fine.

arisinwind likes this.
  9. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

Wow, old thread! Five years later and you're just about ready to pull the trigger. I didn't read all the posts but I hope you bought something in the meantime. I have as a backup a Philips 406 that I paid $50 dollars on EBay, put on a new stylus and it really sings. If I had $2000 to replace my primary I would go with George Merrills GEM Dandy Polytable. Heard it and met the man at CES, he's a great guy to talk to and really supports his products.

10. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Curious thread. OP is talking about Music Hall, Rega, and Clearaudio. Most others are talking vintage.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Seems to be the usual case around here, regardless of what the OP asks for :)

12. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

VPI Scout used or new.

13. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

BTW, since we are sampling the vintage now, just saw a Technics SP25 with AT 12" arm on audiogon for just over $700, looks great, that combo would probably shame most of the favorites in this thread :)

Technics SP25 W/ Audio Technica ATP-12T Tonearm | Turntables | Audiogon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

H8SLKC likes this.
  15. ATSMUSIC

You all, I'm about to pull the trigger on a pre-order for a new SL-1200GR. Any reason not to?

Robert C and wgb113 like this.
  16. Helom

Helom Forum member

I think you should think it over for a couple more years :winkgrin:

SirMarc, 4xoddic, arisinwind and 2 others like this.
  17. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

I dunno, man. Normally I'd say 'listen to some competing turntables', but given how gun-shy you were in the past, perhaps it's best to go with your gut and 'git er done'. :thumbsup:

I'm sure the 1200 GR is good, have not heard otherwise. The few complaints leveled that I've heard have been along the lines of it has to be tweaked a bit to be an ideal DJ 'table (as in, actually using it for DJ work).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  18. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Project 6Persepex is a wonderful table, and it comes with a $550 cart, all in for $1999.

Buy it at a local dealer and ask them to help set it up for you as part of the deal.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it! :)

Also, it looks sexy, and includes a hinged dust cover ;)

19. ATSMUSIC

I just might, still haven't pulled the trigger

20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'll give you my experience with Clearaudio in your budget - I spent a short time with a Concept Wood w/MM cart. The Concept MM cart isn't up to the standards of the Concept table. Their MC cart (at $900) seems to be the better match but when you tack that cart on (along with the $250 dust cover) it may be out of your budget.

I'm curious to see what Rega puts out for the new P6. The MoFi tables look interesting. I ordered my 1200GR two months ago and am being told it's still a few weeks out.

21. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Well if you haven't pulled the trigger yet I'd nudge you towards a VN or a Polytable. I have a VN150 with 2m bronze and love it. An old Linn might be very cool, but a VN gets you a great table that is better than new. Peace of mind and plug and play convenience are nice things!

22. ATSMUSIC

thanks you all, really enjoy reading the comments.
    i am going to a local stereo store Saturday to talk about and listen to players.

Tim Irvine likes this.
  23. Good call; go listen for yourself and get a"free" lesson on turntable set up at the same time:goodie:

24. ATSMUSIC

Looks like I'm probably ordering a Scout Prime for just under 2K

stenway likes this.
  25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

price is $2200 I think, any discount or promo to get under $2000?
    my big question about scout prime for $2200 is, really worth that money? or I can get a better NEW table for that same price?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.