Best Roxy Music Album/CD(s)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mmg_fan, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayB

JayB Senior Member

For me "Avalon"

2. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

I do! :D

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I'm with Jay here but I will also agree with adding a good comp to those two.

4. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

For Your Pleasure, Country Life and Siren are essential.

I love Flesh & Blood to death. I don't know why it didn't sell 20,000,000 copies.

Avalon is a nice, WONDERFULLY recorded CD, but, you know, there isn't a whole lot of there, there. When it's over, I'm like, was that it? There are three or four songs (but the title track alone justifies the purchase) and a bunch of intermission thingies.

5. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I, too, like it more than most other forum members do, I think. But then again, no one mentioned Manifesto yet, which I also consider a great album.

Maybe it feels like that at a first listen, but I wouldn't call India or Tara just 'intermission thingies'. The way India develops into a whole different thing in less than two minutes is just amazing. To me it's a masterpiece on its own.

6. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Well...this one isn't easy, because the band really changed a lot over the course of their career. If you listen to their early albums and Avalon, there;s no way you would think they were the same band. The early albums are very adventurous and out there, the last couple (particularly the last one, Avalon) are very mellow and pop. All their albums are very good.

I personally prefer their early stuff. I'm not a big fan of Avalon, though I acknowledge that, for what it is, it's very good. It's just not really my cup of tea. My favorites are either For Your Pleasure (probably their most adventurous) or Country Life. If you prefer the mellow pop stuff, definitely get Avalon - that is their definitive pop statement. If you want to try something in between, Siren is a good bet.

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

By far my favorite album from their late period. The title track is brilliant.

8. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Roxy Music

I agree with the others that Roxy Music and be divided into two eras. The earlier albums up to Siren and the later period from Manifesto onward.

Roxy Music - Chance Meeting is the standout cut
    For Your Pleasure - Do the Strand and For Your Pleasure are excellent
    Stranded - Song For Europe and Mother of Pearl are exceptional
    Country Life - Out of the Blue and Prairie Rose are the best
    Siren - Love Is The Drug and Both Ends Burning
    Manifesto - Dance Away
    Flesh + Blood - Over You
    Avalon - Take A Chance on Me and Avalon

All of their LPs have much to offer and I enjoy them all.

Scott

9. Boff1

Boff1 Senior Member

Roxy Music ****
    FYP ****1/2
    Stranded *****
    Country LIfe ****
    Siren ****
    Manifesto ***
    Flesh n blood **1/2
    Avalon ***

10. sbayle

sbayle Forum Resident

Avalon is one of my favorite albums and the one I'd recommend, but I'd agree that all of them are worthwhile and where you go from Avalon is a matter of taste.

11. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I can't believe how many of you people rate Avalon, Flesh & Blood, and Siren as excellent. IMO, none of those are Roxy Music albums - safe and dull. May as well listen to Culture Club.

My vote is the 1st four and possibly Manifesto. Stranded being the best followed by the debut.

12. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident

Stranded. Hands Down! It was Eno's favorite, and he wasn't even on it.

13. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

any love here for the live album, VIVA? :righton:

later, chris

Attached Files:

14. veecee

veecee Forum Resident

Another vote for Avalon. Although Stranded and Siren are close.

15. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Siren (1975) is very much Roxy Music, I wouldn't say the same for 'Manifesto' (1979) which is when session players were introduced, and if you saw that tour you would have witnessed the appalling 'disco' version of 'Virginia Plain'.

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I've been a fan ever since their first LP, and own all the LPs and all the CDs. My favourite is "Stranded".

17. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Manifesto isn't great, nor is it classic Roxy. But I did think it showed a little spark and the guys who came back, came back fresh, while the new guys brought a little something 'til Ferry took over again. Siren, on the other hand, is a bit tired and below par for the phase 1 band. "Love is the Drug" is also an annoying song. Some of Siren is okay. It's just not very good overall - not classic. Just my opinion. Great band overall!

18. James RD

James RD Senior Member

I've liked all of their stuff from the beginning. Some of my favorite album covers, too. Especially Country Life and Flesh + Blood.

19. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I wouldn't say that about Siren. IMO, even though it's a little more commercial, Siren is still very much in keeping stylistically with the first 4. I think it's still very adventurous. For me personally, I like those first 5 much better than the 3 albums in the second period. My favorites are probably For Your Pleasure and Country Life, but it's very, very close, and I really love them all.

I'm not a big fan of Manifesto. Of the last 3, I'd rate Flesh & Blood as by far my favorite, followed by Manifesto, and last Avalon.

20. I have all the Roxy studio albums on cd; they are all very good
    but all have flaws, and I feel the last two and the first two are
    their most essential. BUT . . . there is a 4 cd boxed set
    (The Thrill of It All) that hits all their album highlights,
    has all their a-sides and b-sides on one place.
    If you just won't trust that ALL their albums are good,
    then this is the best compromise.

21. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

(The Thrill of It All) that hits all their album highlights,
    has all their a-sides and b-sides on one place.

...except the correct 'Pyjamarama' and the live 'For Your Pleasure', for some reason.

22. glea

glea Forum Resident

They really didn't record a bad album. For Your Pleasure and Avalon are my faves. Manifesto, Stranded and Flesh and Blood also rate high on my list.

23. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The first 5 are all gems. Avalon is too, but get the SACD because it sounds phenomenal in surround. It's a real jaw-dropper...

BTW, only the first 2 have Eno. Street Life was the first without his contributions.

24. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I prefer the earlier Roxy albums. I also think they are one band where the songs don't necessarily have to be heard in the context of the album they came from - compilations and Greatest Hits collections work well for them. As such, Their collection called "Roxy Music - The Early Years" has the best of their first three or four albums all in one place.

I also very much like their "Roxy Music Live" album from 2003. They play energetic versions of great songs from throughout their career. Nicely recorded for a live album, too.

25. I believe The Thrill of It All is out of print now. The fourth disc is essential for Roxy fans as it has some rare b-sides. If I'm not mistaken the correct Pyjamara is on this set (I haven't listened to it in a while) from their single release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.