Best SACD player under $500?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Hey all,

I am considering upgrading my aging Pioneer CD player to a SACD player to be used for stereo only for my second system. Will be paired with Scott 299-C tubed integrated (review coming!).

The cheaper the better, obviously. Redbook performance is a high priority. Universal players OK too.

I would seriously consider the Sony DVP-9000ES which can be had new for about $549, but they can't player CD-Rs. My other options are leaning towards the Sony DVP-NS999ES. Looks like you can get new for around $500 w/5 year warranty.

Also considering Denon DVD-2900 for a bit less. Pros are that it can do DVD-A, cons: may not be so great for redbook/stereo.

I haven't heard the Marantz or Philips units, so comments are welcome.

Also, I strongly prefer a single disc unit.

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I recently picked up a DVP-999ES via Ebay and am realy pleased with it. The build quality is nice, it plays cd-r with no problems, and the 5 year warranty adds some peace of mind.

3. SamS

Thanks for the input Mike! Do you have other redbook or SACD players you have compared the sound to? Doesn't this thing weigh like 27lbs or something?

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

It's a very heavy, well built machine. I have an older Marantz CD-63 that I compared to the Sony for cd playback, and I prefer using the Sony. The handful of SACD's I have sound great played back on the 999ES.

5. SamS

Mike you might be interested in this link I found for the 999ES. Seems like they take the audio portion fairly seriously.

Sony DVP-NS999ES white paper

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I don't think the 'NS999ES weighs 27 lbs. As I recall, the 'S9000ES doesn't weigh that much, and the 'NS999ES isn't as solid as the 'S9000ES.

7. KeithH

Sam, where are you seeing the 'S9000ES brand new for $549? It's an old player, so I wouldn't expect to find it new any longer.

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I think the 999ES weighs closer to 15 pounds, which is still pretty hefty compared to most dvd players. The only thing I'm not wild about is the remote - it's not backlit, so you have to have plenty of light to figure out which button to hit for each function.

9. SamS

Ya, like Mike pointed out, more like 15lbs, my mistake.

Apparently, Sony found a bunch in Mexico (?) a while back, and offered them up to a few dealers. This guy on ebay sells them new w/5-year factory warranty:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5795980011

10. KeithH

O.K. 15 lbs. is still solid. As Mike said, that's more heft than you get with a lot of players. Sony still makes a solid component. The DVP-NC555ES I just bought is 18 lbs., and it's huge. :)

I'm not in the market for the 'S9000ES, but $549 is a great price for a new unit. My older brother has had one for a few years, and he loves it. Get it! :agree:

11. SamS

I'm afraid the 9000ES is ruled out by the simple fact that it can't play CD-Rs :shake:

12. KeithH

Oh, that's right. That sucks. I would have a hard time dealing with that because I use CD-Rs of my rare discs.

13. SamS

bump

Anyone else compared some of the less expensive Marantz, Philips or Denon units?

14. ag1

ag1 Forum Resident

Hi,
    I have the Denon 2900. Its great on DVD Audio and video, but has problems recognizing CDs, even store bought CDs. Dont have any experience with the others, but I would recommend staying away from the Denon for redbook.

15. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

Interesting. I used a 2900 for about a month and then changed over to a 5900. I never had any such problems with my 2900 with a variety of cd's and cd-r's. It is not as good as my 5900, but still a nice overall performer.

16. SamS

Most likely the laser needed aligning. I use the Denon 3910 in my main system. It has done fine reading all media types over the past year.

17. ag1

ag1 Forum Resident

Maybe I just had bad luck. Any idea how much laser aligning might cost? I'm very reluctant to put any money into it because I dont use it much for redbook (it works fine on DVDs even DVD-Rs.
    Also, it only fails some of the time, so im afraid of bringing it in somewhere and the problem not occurring.

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I just bought a Sony 555 ES after compareing to a Marantz 6500. The Marantz does not have the build quality and it lacks full bass management, a feature I need because I listen to 5.1 SACD.

19. SamS

They would probably have to replace the entire laser assembly. Is it still under warranty (1 year)? I imagine it would be $100-200.

20. SamS

Rockman, how 'bout the sound when comparing them A/B? I used to have the C555ES changer. It was my first SACD player back in 2001. I eventually upgraded to the XA777ES.

21. therockman

The Sony is quieter and more open, more natural sounding.

22. therockman

Oh yeah, I did not like the redbook playback on the Marantz. I feel that the redbook playback on the Sony is far more open and less congested than the Marantz.

23. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Sam, I would say if you can get the DVP-999ES for around $500 go for it.

24. SamS

Yah Tony, that's looking to be the top contender at this point.

25. KeithH

Which 555? The SCD-C555ES or the DVP-NC555ES?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.