Best Song on Cream’s ‘Disraeli Gears’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

What’s your favourite song on Disraeli Gears?
    My guess is Sunshine of Your Love followed by Strange Brew for top pick.

Love, love, love this album. Absolutely fantastic. Took me a long time to get it but I’m so glad I did. Cream’s an all time favourite band of mine. However, being a total psych fan I wish this was more psych and less blues, but hey I’m not complaining. Also a shame the production isn’t nearly as good as Fresh Cream for some reason, well at least the 2016 remaster anyway. This album’s a big reason as to why 1967 is easily my favourite year in music. It’s also a tough choice given that I graded all 3 Cream albums a 4.5/5 but this is my favourite Cream album. Funny that this gem of an album has my all time least favourite song; Mother’s Lament. Absolutely atrocious. I wish the album was longer though.

My favourite song is Dance the Night Away which has brilliant guitar work, great melody, killer psychedelic atmosphere, distinct vocals, awesome basslines and fantastic work by Baker to air-drum to. My favourite song by them overall as well. Second favourite would be We’re Going Wrong which is incredibly psych with gorgeous lyrics. I wish the band did more stuff like that.

For Fresh Cream, here’s one I prepared earlier:
    Best Song on Cream’s ‘Fresh Cream’?

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Classic album! Hard to choose. I prefer the "Cream Live Vol 2" version of Tales Of Ulysses, but voted it here anyway. Need to find a fresh pressing of this album...

3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Likewise

Frozensoda and Crimson Witch like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

sunshine, by a long way. Cream's greatest problem was writing good songs

5. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Tales of Brave Ulysses.

Followed by World of pain

6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

It's a shame that includes such subpar filler like Blue condition and Mother's lament.
    This album runs out of gas on the 4 last songs

Crimson Witch likes this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Sunshine of your love, World of pain, Dance the night away, Tales of Brave Ulysses..prove that they were capable of writing great original material

8. mark winstanley

just not a lot of it

9. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

In reality, it's ToBU... but since Mother's Lament garners so much hate, I had to cast a protest vote in favor of it... it's endearing and its whimsy encapsulates so much of British psychedelia circa '67 that I gladly vote for it... plus my 5-year-old loves it, singing along lustily... he'd say that anybody who doesn't like it is a "grouchy pants" :)

10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Couldn’t disagree more.

I still think they’re great, but the last 3 are easily the weakest for sure. Blue Condition’s sub-par for Cream but I think it’s a good song.

I see where you’re coming from, but I think they were fantastic songwriters. I couldn’t care less about the guitar, and with Clapton in the band you’d that’d be an issue but it’s not and they’re my fourth favourite band because of the melodies.

Bruso, Crimson Witch and danielbravo like this.
  11. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Very unpopular opinion but I think this is Hendrix’s issue, certainly not Cream. Cream had a major focus on the guitar almost as much as Hendrix, but the difference is Cream could write melodic songs.

Ginger Ale and danielbravo like this.
  12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Tales of Brave Ulysses ..
    .. one of the great lyrical masterpieces of the 20th century set to a descending C/B flat/F chord pattern that peels away the layers of epic conquest, prowess and surreal heroism.

13. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

When I first saw the poll, I was going to do the same, but under the intense glare of a SHF poll, I withered and went with SWLABR. But kudos to you, sir! I have always loved Mother's Lament (and Blue Condition and Take It Back as well). They were having fun with music, and there's nothing wrong with that.

14. mark winstanley

i love the idea of cream, it just never worked for me. i prefer hendrix's songs by a street. but each to their own

15. YardByrd

Yep, I also love all the tunes you name checked. Songwriting and performances on entire album are top notch... now, if only the recording itself was up to snuff...

16. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

ive "rediscovered" sunshine recently. one of the most finely crafted songs of the 60's. really like how jack and eric alternate vocal lines.

listen to the 5th dimension's cover of it. some crazy good harmonizing going on there..

17. A Saucerful of Scarlets

One of the best riffs of all time as far as I'm concerned.

18. YardByrd

My dark horse candidate would be Dance the Night Away with EC on the Fender XII hockey stick... Cream's homage to the Byrds... once again, wish it was recorded better... imagine if it had the clarity and separation of a Byrds Columbia LP...

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Jack Bruce was the only real songwriter there...

20. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

You've got that rainbow feel but the rainbow has a beard.

21. A Saucerful of Scarlets

And even then they still had to get other lyricists from outside the band.

Tuco likes this.
  22. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

The first half of side 2 (Tale of Brave Ulysses, SWLABR, and We're Going Wrong) is my favorite stretch of the album, followed by Strange Brew into Sunshine.

I've heard people say that this album doesn't sound good but I have an early 70's UK pressing on Reaction that sounds wonderful.

23. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

it comes off better in mono

24. A Saucerful of Scarlets

All I've heard is the stereo off of iTunes. Anyone know of a good, cheap vinyl version?

25. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Killer album !
    Difficult choice ! (and there is only one option of choice) My vote for "Sunshine Of Your Love", I love that guitar riff, one of my favorites by Mr. Clapton. The progression of chords is magnificent and very powerful, besides the alternate vocal interpretation between E.Clapton and J.Bruce. Great song undoubtedly.
    I could say that I would have marked "Tales Of Brave Ulysses" also because they are both my favorites from the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.