Best Song on Cream’s ‘Disraeli Gears’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I like my UK Mono on Reaction too, especially Tales of brave ulysses. Sunshine of your love is slightly better in Stereo i just love the sound of Eric's vibrato on the final riff before the vocals come in following the solo, kills me everytime! 20+ years ago my mother told me this was my theme song, no doubt due to my playing the vinyl or the riff on my guitar at every waking moment!
    A mother's lament?

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Jack Bruce wrote the song after having a fight with his wife, and walking out of the house into the night. He said it all came to him as he walked down the dark street...

3. Chris Schoen

Great song, but for me that's like Smoke On The Water, classic riff but heard it too many times...

4. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I only have one Cream song on any of my playlists and it's SWLABR so I'm gonna go ahead and say that's my favorite Cream song off the album.

5. ronm

ronm audiofreak

"Dance the Night Away" for me.Pure psychedelia."Tales Of Brave Ullysses" comes in second.I once felt myself coming down from the top of the world in stages listening to the guitar solo at the end.Mushrooms."Were Going Wrong" is third.Can't even listen to "Sunshine ...anymore.Always hated "Mothers Lament" and "Blue Condition".Iconic 60s psychedelia album.

6. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

"World of Pain". An underrated song.

7. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Always liked "Blue Condition." Good lyrics and it shows their blues roots as much as a lot of their other material.
    "Take It Back" is an infectious blues shuffle with a subtle anti-war message and tasty harmonica.
    "Mother's Lament" is a goof on an old English parlor song, but it's a bit of fun at the end of the album, shows that they can harmonize (even if they're deliberately overdoing it), and is the first indication that Jack was no slouch of a piano player.
    The one it took me a very long time to warm up to is "We're Going Wrong."
    (But my overall favorite is "World of Pain".)

Bruso likes this.
  8. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

Went with Tales of Brave Ulysees.

It's so distinctively Cream, very 1967 and a highlight and important track on what is quite a magical album.

:righton: Going to play the album today. :righton:

Bruso, Crimson Witch and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. Chris Schoen

What is the best new pressing of this album? I need a fresh copy.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  10. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I always lift the needle after “Take It Back”.

11. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Good. I omit it from the 'up next' que on my iPod.

12. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

while there are the famous classic tracks we all know so well both 'Dance The Night Away' (their Byrds-ish number) and 'Outside Woman Blues' I so love...!

the original mono UK Reaction single versions of Ulysses and Strange Brew blow your speakers apart (as did I Feel Free) as The Who UK Reaction mono single of I'm A Boy did too - pity neither were included as bonus tracks later

I prefer Clapton singing Blue Condition but it's Ginger's vocal bit..!

13. A Saucerful of Scarlets

If all Byrds sounded like Dance the Night Away they’d easily be one of my favourite bands.

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

It's the SWLABR!

Great album!!

Haggis Wampovich and Bruso like this.
  15. Chrome_Head

My old Atco pressing somehow got warped, so I picked up an 80’s reissue several months ago. The reissue still sounds quite good. Spun the whole album tonight (up until you know what), and I’m struck by how moody some of the psych rock is on this, and how applicable it felt to right now. “We’re Going Wrong”, indeed.

I never made the connection before, but the track does have a certain Byrds-y vibe.

Check out The Notorious Byrd Brothers album if you haven’t yet heard it—made me a fan of the band for life.

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Easily Sunshine.

17. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

First time I heard SWABLR on the radio (A.M.) in 1967 it blew my mind...

That song sticks with me more than anything else on the LP...

TOBU runs a distant #2...

A solid memory of the 60s for me

numer9 likes this.
  18. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Thanks for the recommendation! Will do.
    I've only heard some folk songs and I'm not a fan of the genre so it kinda turned me off a bit. Eight Miles High is a seriously awesome song, though. Added the album to my music library :)

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

A one, a two, a three......her mother has gone

1. Sunshine Of Your Love
    2. Tales Of Brave Ulysses (close 2nd)

20. Chrome_Head

The album is quite a bit more psychedelic somewhat in the vein of “Eight Miles High”, though the country rock influence also starts to creep in on NBB.

Actually the Byrds’ run of 3 albums 5th Dimension, Younger Than Yesterday and NBB is a rather fantastic one.

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I voted for "SWLABR", I could have just as well gone for any of them, except "Blue Condition" and maybe "Take It Back" which are a notch below the rest (and of course "Mother's Lament" which I don't really count as it's more of a joke than a song), I am also bit burnt out on "Sunshine".

It was really nothing unusual to divide the composing between music and lyrics at that time, and I don't see it as something negative, on the contrary, each person concentrates on their strenght, and Bruce/Brown became a team that continued working. Speaking of Bruce/Brown, check out Jack's early solo albums, they are (i.m.o.) a continuation of Cream (minus the blues covers), start with Songs For A Tailor.

22. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Dance The Night Away

That 12 string, its different, it works, i always enjoy this one when i listen to an album i've always loved but this song always stands out for me.

23. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I like Clapton's version of Blue Condition but his vocal is a little bit half-hearted compared to Gingers, Ginger commits to it more, guess Eric might not have been so enthusiastic to sing it at the time.

24. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Voted for Take It Back, almost voted for Outside Woman Blues - they are both stellar.

Chrome_Head and Bruso like this.
  25. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I listened to this once under the psychedelic influence and there really was a tree outside my window..Freaked me out.This lp was pure psychedelia to a very impressionable 16 year old.
    +

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.