Best Song on Dr. Dre's 'The Chronic' Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Very few hip-hop threads on here so this might be dead from the start.
    The album that got me from despising hip-hop to at least having an appreciation for it. Damn is this album good, up there with my favorites of all time. Atmospheric, unique synth driven g-funk gangsta rap that ushered in a new era of hip-hop with samples from Funkadelic throughout. Love it.

No doubt G Thang will be top, if not The Doctor's Office (assuming anyone votes), but the rest? I'm not sure. F Wit Dre Day second followed by Let Me Ride? Lil' Ghetto Boy is my vote. Great message, especially in contrast to everything else. Awesome production.

I included everything in the poll, even the skits. What do you think?

2. I went for Let Me Ride, but it could just be one of the other songs. I played this album a lot in 1992 and the years after.

3. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I guess Nothing But A G Thing.. I just love the bass line and whining Moog synths. I have to admit that I like Snoop Dogg's 'Doggystyle' lp even better than 'The Chronic'.

(I guess they'll revoke my SHF classic rock licence after admitting this.. ;) )

4. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

One of my all-time favorites, this still gets played very regularly around here. My pick was F Wit Dre Day but this is one of those albums that I always play right through, the whole is absolutely greater than the sum of its parts.

5. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I combined the best tracks from this and Doogystyle. It makes for a classic rap album.

Osato, Grant, Izozeles and 7 others like this.
  6. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I think a lot of people would agree actually, including myself. I remember looking up Chronic vs Doggystyle threads and finding that it was about even.

I'm an album guy, even if it's not made to flow through, and this most certainly works as an album to fully listen through.

I think they're classics in their own right.Combined the best tracks I'd say it'd have to be one of the best ever!

7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Bump. Surely there are more hip-hop fans here? If it dies again I'll let it.
    Also 3 picks for skits. Huh? And one for the Doctor's Office, absolute mad man.

8. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

The big singles would likely win out here, but my vote went to "The Roach". Don't care if it's essentially "P-Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up)"...that track grooves every time.

9. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

"The $20 Sack Pyramid"

Haha, j/k. Gotta be "Let Me Ride". It's got a vibe that won't quit.

But Pyramid is the best skit.

10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I love it. I’m getting into Funakdelic soon so hopefully I’ll pick up the samples.

Erik B. likes this.
  11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I do love “Let Me Ride”, voted for that.

Entire album is a landmark masterpiece, really.

12. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

My honest answer is "Dre Day" but this is probably the only time on this forum where I'll be able to vote for an option called "Deez Nuts".

13. A Saucerful of Scarlets

The first half of this album is unbeatable.

thesisinbold, Tommy Jay and Erik B. like this.
  14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I voted for G thang. I prefer Doggystyle and also the Chronic 2000 to this record, though obviously it's got its high points.

I was 12 or so when it came out, and into classic rock and hard rock and there was no overlap between the two at that age. Later on, in high school I got into Doggystyle through 'Ain't no Fun' (Woah, it's music!) and from there to the rest of Gfunk.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  15. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

The hidden track for me. I still say the title every day and quote lines from it in daily situations that I encounter.

thesisinbold, Erik B. and ianuaditis like this.
  16. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I quote the whole album on a daily basis haha. Glad I’m not the only one. B***** Ain’t S*** is a hidden track?

Erik B. likes this.
  17. dorium_tres

dorium_tres Forum Resident

I'd love a proper repress of this record one day. I don't want to plunk the money down on an OP and the current one circulating doesn't sound too good.

voted for A N**** Witta Gun. classic record. shaped my childhood pretty heavily.

18. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I memorized that one and I can still recite the lines word for word to this day.

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Underrated song. One of my favourites on the album.

20. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

It was hidden when the original tape and CD came out. Bought the tape from Spec’s then upgraded to the disc through Columbia House.

21. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Was Deez Nuts the only appearance by Warren G on the album? Or was he also in one of the skits?

Erik B. likes this.
  22. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

The original CD was mastered by Bernie Grundman is a sonic masterpiece. Beware of the countless remasters.

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I chose G Thang, but could have easily have gone with Dre Say and Beez ain’t schit

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Goes without saying, but back in the day this was a great album to smoke to

25. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Unfortunately that's all I have access to. I hear 2001, The Chronic and Doggystyle all mentioned a lot, especially 2001 about albums with the best production and I haven't understood what they meant. Maybe because I'm listening to the remasters found on iTunes. I'm going to keep an eye out for the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.