Best Song on Love’s ‘Forever Changes’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

IMO, yes. I love how the whole thing flows together. I honestly, can't pick a favorite as I love them all. Every time I mow the yard, I rock this album and my job is done in no time...lol. I will say I am a little obsessed with Forever Changes and I only discovered it a little over a year ago due to this forum.

2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Yeah, Alone Again Or sets this set off well for almost everyone I know. It's just a great hook laden song!

3. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Speaking only for myself, but yeah I've always viewed it that way.

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I am formally protesting this vote because they're all equally great.:magoo:
    Seriously, I love them all.:love:

5. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I love "You Set The Scene", especially the alternate version on the deluxe set with the extra vocals at the end.

6. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I agree, they're all spectacular. I first chose "YSTS" but changed it to "AAO," for nostalgic reasons. As I kid I grew up with the Damned's cover of "AAO," which is, imo, a really great, faithful, muscular update that made me seek out the original a little later (when I realized it was a cover) and discover "FC. "

I was surprised to see Arthur Lee was the Andy Partridge of Love, while Bryan MacLean was the Colin Moulding. The analogy feels right because, like MacLean (while he was in the band), Moulding wrote about two songs on every XTC album, including "Making Plans For Nigel" - XTC's hit single/first song on their third album, which was exactly what "AAO" was for Love. What was even more surprising is that I haven't liked ANY of Bryan MacLean's other songs all that much. A lot of them kinda make me cringe a little, honestly. ("Orange skies/Carnivals and cotton candy and you/And I love you/You know I do" Hmmm.)

Actually, growing up in the 80's was a pretty good introduction to good music from the 60's and 70's as those post-punk and "College/Alternative" bands I loved were all influenced by and name-checking bands like Love, Velvet Underground and Big Star. I think it would be impossible to be a big Aztec Camera fan and not instantly "get" Love's "FC."

7. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Absolutely.

8. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Alone Again Or.

It's one of those songs that sounds like you've always known, even if it's the first time you hear it. Never get tired of it.

Great album anyway, I just got the Deluxe edition.

9. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale or
    The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This

10. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

This is my all time favorite LP...every song on it is great in my opinion, and I cannot in good conscience vote for an individual favorite song.

11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Wow, before voting I thought the last song would be leading. I’m surprised to see the opener so far ahead.

Anyway, I picked “You Set the Scene” though I love the entire thing.

12. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

It's hard to choose one song from this masterpiece. I think "You Set The Scene" may be the best song, but I picked "A House Is Not A Motel"; that double-tracked guitar solo at the end of the song may be my favorite moment in the album.

13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

“The Red Telephone”

14. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I voted for Old Man becuase it used to be my least favorite Bryan McLean song and it worked it's way up to being my favorite.

15. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

This reminds me of a story. My girlfriend at the time and I took a trip to LA in 2002 to check out some Doors and Love related sites. One night, after being in Hollywood and seeing all those places on/near Sunset Strip, we were sleeping at the house we were staying at and at around 3am, the boombox suddenly starts blasting A House Is Not A Motel at full volume and woke us both up! Forever Changes was in the CD player, but it would have been less shocking if it had played the first song, Alone Again Or. So I'll go with AHINAM.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Love them all...but, Alone Again Or gets my vote.

17. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

In my top ten albums so every song is the best, but my first instinct was to vote for The Daily Planet. I love the bass line and the groove of that song. I still wouldn't call it the best song, impossible with songs like Old Man, You Set the Scene, and Alone Again Or. There is no weak link. Bummer in the Summer is great to my ears. This is a perfect album.

18. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

I enjoyed Oddyssey and Oracle much more than this album. “Time Of The Season” is such a great song. If that album doesn’t take you back to the 60s then I don’t know what will!
    (The Zombies sound so innocent if you compare them to the acid rock bands of 1968!)

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Was thinking of making a poll for that album too

Black Magic Woman and Hombre like this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I don't think about the best song. I also admit that whilst I really like this record I don't play it often. Too emotionally dark.

I recently heard the MFSL CD - I think it edged out the other versions I have. I never play the Sundazed mono copy I have. Don't like it. Other than that I have the first expanded CD version, which suffices. Today I'd go for the mfsl or investigate an original first release CD.

21. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

I honestly can’t think of a better overall album than “Forever Changes” and it really needs to be taken as a whole. (There are definitely albums I’d say are just as good, but I’m truly hard-pressed to think of any that are substantially better.)

That being said, “Alone Again Or” and “Andmoreagain” are so beautiful it almost hurts, and are as close to songwriting perfection as it gets. The entire album is an unmitigated masterpiece and feels like the soundtrack of life itself, but these songs in particular just resonate like almost nothing else. I really don’t think I can narrow it down any further; I picked “Andmoreagain” today, but might change my mind tomorrow!

22. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

"Alone Again Or" is great, but to me the high point of the record is "The Red Telephone" with its intricate arrangement, unusual harmonies, and layers of despair and irony.

23. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It’s my understanding that you’re better off with one of the Rhino remasters from the 2000s than with the original CD. There are a few threads here about this.

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Ok - thanks - I didn't know that. The rhino is the one I have as it happens.

25. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Can't choose... best LP from '67 with no apologies to Doors...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.