Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

If I Fell.
    Love John's vocal performance and the demo of it is pretty neat as well.
    Love the whole album! Not a single bad song on it.

2. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

It was a very good b-side to the AHDN single! Remember hearing it for the very first time.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  3. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Things we Said today, but the whole álbum is magic

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Maybe in terms of songwriting credit, but I think a band and an album is much more than just who writes the song.

Marvin, correct.

You’re looking into it too much. It’s a combination of both. I shouldn’t have to be so specific. I understand what you’re saying, but considering how subjective ‘best’ is in this case, which is an objective term, it would be silly to ask the question. Best and favourite mean the same thing in these polls.

Be Bop Deluxe likes this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I think Can't Buy Me Love may well be the worst song on the album.

streetlegal likes this.
  6. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Woah. Overreaction. I don’t even think the other poster was upset. You seem upset, though.

Danby Delight likes this.
  7. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Everyday, people are discussing the best and worst (songs/albums/masterings/whatever) on this very forum. Even though it’s subjective, it happens, literally nonstop on this board. People generally don’t chime in to say it’s a silly thing to ask and discuss such a thing.

“Favorite” and “best” do mean different things.

Shaddam IV and Be Bop Deluxe like this.
  8. Be Bop Deluxe

Be Bop Deluxe Forum Resident

Good point and one that I would have to agree with... A lot of my favorites would not be considered examples of one's "best" work... but often the examples of one's "best" work are not necessarily my favorites...

Shaddam IV and Alex D. like this.
  9. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Obviously, yes. And no, it’s not an overreaction. It was a hypocritical irritating response. How else should I reply? He was clearly upset, given the snide response to a comment rhat wasn:t even remotely hostile.

Yes, clearly they do, but as I explained, in this case I don’t think it matters in the slightest.

10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

You might want to read my previous comment.

11. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Confusing set up here. The thread head asks for best song and the poll asks for favorite.
    Best - A Hard Day’s Night
    Favorite - You Can’t Do That

12. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Title track, followed by "If I Fell".

13. A Saucerful of Scarlets

It’s not confusing in the slightest. I’ve done these polls many times without having this issue. Read up on the current conversation.

14. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Clearly the title would be too long with favourite in place of best. Why must we fuss over such pointless, subtle differences? If I asked which was best, the poll would be ridiculous given how subjective that’d be when ‘best’ is an objective term. So common sense should say that ‘best’ and ‘favourite’ mean the same thing. It’s not a massive jump in logic.

And if they did mean different things in this case then people would be making two very similar polls each time. They aren’t. Done this type of poll a dozen times now. Never had this confusion. The reason for ‘favourite’ in the poll title is to double make sure that there is no distinction. Gues it has the opposite effect, all of a sudden.

15. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

That's what I meant. Or to answer in the style of your recent comments:

I shouldn't have to say this, but if you'd read my comment in its entirety, and understand context, clearly I'm obviously referring to the writing of the album, clearly. Read up on it again.

16. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Funny. Thing is, although you mentioned songwriting, you were writing as if that was the only contribution that matters. Love the sarcasm, and I’m all up for giving a hypocrite crap, but I’m not being hypocritical. Sorry. Try again next time.

Also, I’ve only replied to aggressive comments. You seem to be mistaking me for being hostile without cause. So I’ll quote you mocking me: understand context.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  17. Shaddam IV

No.

18. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

You must be new here;)

Voted A Hard Days Night. Perhaps the definitive Beatle mania song. A frenetic fast paced rocker that never gets old. And there's THAT opening chord.

If I could vote for two the other would go to The Things We Said Today

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Well if that isn’t the case, be more clear. Then all this petty hostility could be avoided.

20. Shaddam IV

Something (such as the wording of this very comment for example) tells me that avoiding petty hostility is not your forte. Have a pleasant evening.

Danby Delight likes this.
  21. A Saucerful of Scarlets

That ‘petty hostility’ went both ways, mate, hence the ‘all’ part, therefore I wasn’t having another shot at you. Now I just think you need thicker skin.
    And you too.

22. Be Bop Deluxe

Who's the "And you too" part directed to?

23. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Sorry, that was badly written. Thanks for correcting me on that. It was a reply to the last part of Shaddam’s comment.

24. Be Bop Deluxe

I did read your previous comment but my post wasn't being directed towards you but rather towards the member whose comment I was referencing... I understood your comment and agreed with it - I was expanding upon a thought that was secondary to that which you expressed...

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Bingo! Great album, but that's my pick!

Chemguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.