Best Song on The Kinks’ ‘The Kink Kontroversy’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

The last of the Kinks albums that no one cares about, or the beginning of the ones people do depending on who you ask. I’ve yet to hear it as with the second and next album so I’ll leave you to your votings. What’s your favourite song on the album?

Not sure if this has a clear winner like the previous two so I’ll just allow 2 votes again. Maybe I’ll keep the trend specifically for the band, ‘coz why not.

2. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

I picked "The World Keeps Goin Round" and "Where have All The Good Times Gone" although I could pick several others.
    This album began to show some of the song writing prowess Davies would become known for.

3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Looks like I should have done 3 votes. Are those 2 songs by far the best?

4. Safeway 1

This shows seeds of future songs.

Surferghost and pablo fanques like this.
  5. Safeway 1

This was a single.

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Where Have All the Good Times Gone
    Till the End of the Day
    The World Keeps Going Round
    I’m on an Island

TTEOTD is a traditional Kinks rocker, but with the others the Ray we'd come to know and love is slowly emerging

Pete Puma and pablo fanques like this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... Sleater Kinney cared enough to replicate the artwork on their 1997 album "Dig Me Out"! :righton:

Chose "Ring The Bells" because I love the discrepancy between the lyrics and the rather reserved tone in which Ray sings them, "Labour Of Love" indeed:evil:.

Second choice "You Can't Win". No idea really but I think this band is fantastic in chosing last songs on albums. Even in their darker ages, stuff like "Bernadette" or "Going Solo" is very nice.

ajsmith likes this.
  8. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I love this album, but if ever there was an album with two obvious standouts, it’s this one. All the other songs are good with that great Kinks verve, though.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  9. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Where Have All the Good Times Gone is just a perfect mid 60's raucous rock song, no way around it. That was my pick. But I am also a huge fan of You Can't Win and the fun I'm on an Island. Till the End of the Day is also brilliant, power pop in its fullest form. The drum track on When I See That Girl of Mine is insane. Amazing sense of rhythm.

Dave Hoos and pablo fanques like this.
  10. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I went for "Till The End Of The Day" and "Where Have All The Good Times Gone"
    because to me these are two of the most "Klassic Kinks" sounding of all the tracks.

Mr. D and Man at C&A like this.
  11. Great selection!
    I’m On An Island is a nice deep cut choice.

12. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

The World Keeps Going Round. My favorite Kinks album by the way, yeah I know odd choice.

13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Ring the bells
    Ti the end of the day

The third would be I'm on an island

Very good album

14. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Oops. Think I made a big mistake by limiting to two.

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I picked Where Have All the Good Times Gone. I knew the Kinks version before Bowie's Pin Ups. This was one of the last of the Kinks 60's albums I bought in the 70s. A bit of a mixed bag in my opinion.

16. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I've always LOVED Milk Cow Blues here, but I love every cut here. I voted for TTEOTD for my 2nd choice.

Spazaru likes this.
  17. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Great album. Had to go with Till The End Of The Day -- love the rebelliousness of it. You and me we're free, we do as we please...

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Definitely the beginning of the albums I care about. A lot of great songs with VG sound quality - a very listenable record. A good portion of the Kelvin Hall show is here in original studio form. Klassic Kinks sound is now fully developed, and band is gaining confidence in leaps and bounds.

Till The End Of The Day, possibly the best of their rock anthems, of course dwarves everything around it because it is SO huge. But there is a lot of greatness here.

19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I consider this to be the transitional album between the first four and the klassic run from Face to Face through Arthur. Sonically, this one belongs with the first four, but lyrically, it hints at things to come.

I do think the album loses steam toward the end, and I wonder if they could have chosen better tracks. I believe "I'll Remember" was recorded at these sessions.

The winners will be clear, just like on the other Kinks polls.

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like The World Keeps Going Round, Ring The Bells and I'm On An Island a lot, but this is an album where the two tracks released on a single, in the UK at least, are by far the two best tracks - Till The End Of The Day and Where Have All The Good Times Gone. That's a classic 45. The rest of the album is unmemorable to me.

The debut is my favourite of the pre Face To Face Kinks albums.

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

that would funny/ironic if "You Can't Win"... won

22. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I've heard a million versions of Milk Cow Blues more times than I want but the only one I'm not sick of is this one. Dave's vocal on this is one of his best.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

YES!

Mr. D likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

So that people do not get confused: This is Album #3 for the UK. But the USA managed to put out 4 albums prior to Kontroversy.

25. While one could make an argument for the U.S. only, Reprise label created, "Kinks Kinkdom" as their first full length greatness...

"The Kink Konteoversy" is the first true, organic moment where the evolution of The Kinks went from being a great singles band that made albums (with some other great songs) to a great albums band that also made amazing singles as well (often non-LP featured great singles too!!).

It feels more like "Help" than "Rubber Soul", in that it is the key transition moment between the best & most mature early stylings coupled with the even greater amazing budding of promises of the greatness to come.

ajsmith and Surferghost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.