Best sounding Alan Parsons Project I, Robot MFSL LP or HDAD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA-Chuck G, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member Thread Starter

I was hoping I could get some feedback on which I, Robot version sounds the best...
    Does the MFSL LP beat the HDAD? Is the orginal Arista UK LP better than both?

For some strange reason, I do not have ANY copy of this in any format and I want to fix that. I just got a sealed copy MFSL LP of Tales but I am not willing to pay as much for this one. Should I just opt for the HDAD?

2. floyd

floyd Senior Member

There is also a uhqr from mofi but I haven't heard it.

3. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Avoid the MFSL LP! It's a pox upon your record collection. :eek:

I think the HDAD sounds excellent and I highly recommend it. I also have a UK Arista which sounds great too, possibly better, but it's easier to pick up the HDAD instead of looking for a clean UK pressing.

John Carsell swears by the Classic Vinyl as being the best, hopefully he chime in here. I haven't heard the Classic LP yet but the HDAD sounds wonderful.

4. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

HDADover both MFSL or the UHQR (own both). Peace Todd.

5. I don't get it. What is the difference between SACD and HDAD...super audio vs. high def audio. Isn't it all the same. I mean, a band goes into the studio to make a recording. Isn't everything made after that made from THAT RECORDING??? If not, why not. And if not, how was it made if it wasn't made from the original recording.

I'm not trying to be dificult, I just never understood how a record, CD, cassette, 8 track etc. could be made from something other than the original (master) recording.

Thanks
    Randy

6. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

The MFSL aluminum disc is purty darn good, too... :thumbsup:

7. AKA-Chuck G

Sounds like the HDAD might be the best money spent for this title. Thanks.

8. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

If I understand this right, they are all from the same master tape, but the recordings don't have the same mastering. For example the MFSL LP version used different EQ than the Classic LP.They are both from the master tape, but sounds completely different.

9. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I have the MFSL aluminum cd. It sounds great. I've never compared it to the MFSL lp though.

10. I always thought the goal was to get as close to the actual sound the band actually produced. If one has to use equalization to achieve that, then aren't we defeating our purpose?

11. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Not neccessarily. Who's to say that the band and engineers working on it had it right to begin with (usually they may be right, but there are times...). They are working in a completely different environment than you're in while playing it back, and on completely different equipment than they mixed on. They may try to account for the differences, like listening over several speaker types, but they are just too close to the project after all the time they may have spent on it.

That's the whole point of the "mastering engineer". He's the final set of un-biased ears to listen to the work before we hear it. There may be some tweaking he has to do to make up for equipment differences and he has the last say on how it's going to sound on your system - whatever that system may be, and there are infinite possibilities. He's also the one who has to deal with the different playback mediums and make whatever adjustments may be needed based on that as well. Mastering for LP is different than mastering for CD.

Steve, himself, has said that there are very few times that he could just let the tape play though without any tweaking of any kind (like maybe 2 projects out of all he's done, I think).

12. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I'm with Todd-The HDAD is the way to go here! :righton:

13. AKA-Chuck G

Ordered both I Robot and Turn Of A Friendly Card.

14. I understand what you are saying and you are right about the mastering engineer and his un-biased ears. But the engineer will mix the master to what sounds right on HIS SYSTEM. He doesn't know what sounds good on mine or yours or anyone elses for that matter. I guess that is why there are so many opinions on which version/pressing or mastering sounds best. This a vicious circle. I got on this merry-go-round and I can't get off. I guess I should just sit back and enjoy the ride.

15. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I have not heard any MoFi LPs. Only the Arista release (and that was way too long ago for me to remember).

In order of warmth, breath of life, etc., here are my top choices:

1) I Robot HDAD 2003 (192/24 - 96/24 DVD/A DVD/V). It's a different mastering than my 2nd place option, and it sounds like it. It's warmer, more detailed, and dynamic. IIRC, this one came from Alan Parsons' personal master tape.
    2) I Robot DAD (96/24 DVD-V)
    3) Selected tracks from The Definitive Collection (20 bit remastered CD). These are as close to the DAD / HDAD as you'll ever get in CD, IMHO.
    4) Arista CD (which, amazingly enough, sounds very good).

IIRC, this disc was also released on K2, but it was deemed to be far too bright.

16. Does anybody know of, or recommend a store in the los angeles area to buy I Robot HDAD version, or a good on-line source? Thanks, all help is greatly appreciated.

17. AKA-Chuck G

I got mine from elusivedisc.com. You may be able to find it a little cheaper though.

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Time to chime. :D

For my two ears the Classic vinyl sounds the most analog with a nice warmth and great definition to it. Check out the organ on intro of "Don't Let It Show" for example, for a "in the room sound." I'm sure with the original masters in hand and the tube equipment really helped this one. I haven't heard the HDAD but being a simultaneous Classic Records release I'm betting it sounds excellent.

The British UK Arista vinyl was my favorite LP version until the Classic release came out last year. I a/b'd it with the Classic and the Classic won in my book.

The Mo-Fi CD ain't bad but notta world of difference when you compare it to Arista CD.

Sean is right on target about the Mo-Fi vinyl. Both the regular 1/2 speed master and the UHQR. Badly over eq'd and harsh. The cymbals among other things will guarantee you a headache. :thumbsdn:

Munger74 likes this.
  19. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I thought that he did a few more than that, but I can only think of two, Pet Sounds and Buddy Holly FTOMT. I would be interested in a list, if Steve had one.

Evan

20. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Who's Next was another one Steve ran straight.

21. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

I have two pressings of I Robot: Simply Vinyl's re-issue LP and Classic Records' HDAD. To my ears/system, the SV re-issue sounds fine, with good soundstage depth and instruments/voices separation. The 24/96 side of the HDAD, however, pushes everything back several feet further behind the speakers, and thus creates even more space for the whole presentation. The choir on the title track is a good example. The SV pressing is amazingly good here, but the 24/96, with its extra depth of presentation, sounds exceedingly more natural. The same applies to 'Total Eclipse', for instance. Impressive soundstage depth. (I would love to hear side two of Tales of Mystery and Imagination on HDAD.) I haven't heard Classic's or MFSL's other pressings, however, so I can only offer a qualified preference for Classic's HDAD.

22. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I like the three Alan Parsons HDADs although they do sport about one or two digital clicks per disk and the 96/24 version of "Eye In The Sky" seems to have a little problem with DC offset. Anyone notice any of this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.