Best Sounding Analogue Trifecta Suggestions ~ $2500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seeking opinions on the best sounding analogue trifecta - cartridge, turntable and phono preamp- no more than $2500.00 budget.
    Dynamics, clarity, open sounding are the priorities. Neutral to slightly warm system, neutral to slightly warm trifecta. Must be new and full retail. Can divide the funds any way possible.
    This would be your "desert island" system- no future upgrades are allowed.

First pass-
    Music Hall 7.1 (1300)
    Dynavector 10x5 (450)
    Pro-Ject Tube Box DS (700)
    ---------------------------------
    $2450.00

What beats it and why? Go.

2. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I have the 7.1 and the 10x5, nice combo! I've considered that phono stage too. I like its flexibility.

You are always raised on audio boards when you lay out a budget. How about a Dynavector P75 MKIII for $175 more. It would be a perfect match for the 10x5.

You should also check out the Merrill Replica ES-R1. I listened to one last spring and was really impressed. George Merrill likes the Ortofon Quintet line on this table. I'm sure the 10x5 would work well with it too.

http://dagogo.com/merrill-replica-es-r1-turntable-review

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Rega RP3 (895)
    Rega TT-PSU (375)
    DV 20xH2 (850)
    Rega Fono mk2 (350)
    --------------------------
    $2470.00

Better cartridge = better sound. I also like the very low noise and neutral sound of the Fono. The Rega tables are just nice to operate and are at least the equal sonically to the MH tables. The Music Hall 7.1 is a nice table but the 10x5 is not nearly as nice as the 20xH2. If all else is more of a toss-up, I really find that everyone should buy the best cartridge that they can afford if they are serious about getting the best sound and longest life from their record collection.
    -Bill

4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Somewhat similar to what Bill posted above, you could also go:

Rega RP6 with Exact -- $1990
    Rega Fono -- $395

Ntotrar and beowulf like this.
  5. avanti1960

Thanks for the suggestions. The Ortofon Quintent peaked my interest but it seems relatively new with very little user experiences to learn from.

6. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I heard the Quintet Black on the table mentioned above and the Merrill Williams Real turntable.

Sounded great on both.

7. GoldprintAudio

I've sold a few of the Quintet Blacks. I think it's a great cart.

8. avanti1960

Very interesting, thanks. Cartridge cartridge cartridge. Hard to dispute this logic.
    I was under the impression that phono stage mattered in equal amounts.

9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm happy with this setup (although mine is a MH7) and it's under budget. My previous setup was the MH 7 with Shure V15VxMR into a Creek phonostage. I feel this was a step up in detail without getting brighter.

I can't talk to the Tube Box DS but I tried the regular Tube Box and it became noisy within the 30 grace period and was returned. It was a problem with the unit and not the tubes. I've read good things about the DS version on this board. The MS P2 is dead quiet and very versatle.

First pass-
    Music Hall 7.1 (1300)
    AT-OC9ML.II (350)
    Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2 (600)
    ---------------------------------
    $2250.00

Rolltide likes this.
  10. avanti1960

couple other questions-
    Would the 20XH2 use the 2mm spacer for VTA on the Rega table?
    Do you feel a speed controller is necessary for sound quality? What about the idea of upgrading the phono preamp with the speed unit funds and going for the low output dynavector?
    Thank you for your thoughts.

11. avanti1960

how about the quintet bronze?

12. avanti1960

thanks. can you comment on the dynamics of that cart and phono stage?

13. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

14. GoldprintAudio

Bronze is also nice. Not quite what the Black is, but pretty close.

15. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Goldprint, how would the Quintets match up with the 9c arm on my 7.1?

16. avanti1960

Sounds great! Right in my 70's classic rock wheelhouse- Skynard, Sabbath, Dire Straits!
    The dynamics are great- very good sound.
    Unfortunately I listened on my computer with headphones (which are very warm).
    Would you say the AT cartridge has a warm sound?

17. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I would say that those samples are warm sounding. Bright sounding stuff sounds bright.

I'll try to find another sample, maybe B-52's.

Fritz Fernow likes this.
  18. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

For Carts: Denon 103r or for more money Audio Technica AT33PTG

19. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

VPI Scout 1.1 turntable $2000
    Ortofon Blue cartridge $200
    Lounge phono preamp $300

Fritz Fernow and brooklyn like this.
  20. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Sota Comet $1400
    Dynavector 10x5 $450
    Musical Surroundings Phenomena Phono $600

21. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

What about used (except for cartridge?)
    I used to use a Well-Tempered table, the standard model, before it was relabelled the Classic. Only issue would be support, I don't know if the current company supports the old models, but if the table hasn't been screwed up there's not much to go wrong, if set up correctly.
    EAR- is it the 834? I know this is supposed to sound pretty euphonic in factory form, but gather that some mods really make it a serious phono stage.
    What's a cheap decent Lyra cost? I had a bunch of their high end cartridges back in the day, and they tracked well, and delivered a huge amount of sound- almost too spectacular some times, but deep bass, very detailed without sounding analytical.
    Prioritywise, I suspect the better arm/table with a lesser cartridge might outshine a cheap arm/table with a more expensive cartridge, but that's speculation on my part. Weakest link and all that.

VinylRob likes this.
  22. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

To answer your question, I think the AT sounds neutral. Dark recordings are dark, bright are bright, and neutral is neutral.

Reloaded a couple new samples. These are brighter. I don't think I have needle dropped anything that is bright.
    Should be the same link. B-52's, Julie Brown, and Ramones mix for record store day.
    I think the B-52's sound normal, Julie Brown is bright, the Ramones track is typical of the Ramones, distorted with no bass or high frequencies.

23. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I'll chime in on the question of speed control as opposed to spending the money elsewhere in the analog chain...

Accurate speed is fundamental to getting music right, in that accurate speed= accurate timbre, accurate frequency response. To my ears, little else is more important and I would recommend most highly that you not go cheap there. And you can always buy a more expensive cart. as you acquire the funds and the bonus is, your system will already be up to task in delivering you the full benefits of that better pick-up. I realize there is more recognizable bling in a pricey cart. it's just not a better sonic choice.

Listen some time if you can to a well recorded piano piece, perhaps some Bill Evans, with and without high quality speed control. All else being the same, you should find that the one without, sounds like the piano is literally, out of tune, when compared to the system with high quality control.

Happy Listening!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Yeah, isn't there that 3d party aftermarket one that's like 350 retail? And the same company also sells a companion device to display the speed in real time (that can be retrofitted to most tables whether or not you use their speed controller?). Know the one I'm talking about?

25. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Crap, I'm no fun, I draw a blank...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.