Best sounding David Bowie albums on the RCA CDs (only)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pig whisperer, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Just got Station to Station (Japan for US, PCD1-1327). My god! It sounds like a completely different album. I will be the first to say that I am pretty ignorant of the mastering process and the industry in general, and I try to pretty forgiving in my opinions to reflect that ignorance. But the 1999 remasters are just a crime. Seriously, the RCA has some amazing drum punch to it, and there are instruments I've never heard before. Were the 1999 remasters remixed as well? It's sad that there is such a difference. I highly highly highly recommend that anyone on the fence seeks out the Bowie RCAs (just wait until I finish my collection). Unfortunately, they're as good as everyone says.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Saw this over the weekend, but I passed on it. :sigh:

3. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Hopefully it's not to late for you.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

There's a (secret :shh: ) store that I go to that had like 8 of those Bowie RCAs about 6 months ago. I go to the store every month or so and have picked up one or two of the Bowies each time. Only Station to Station remains. It should be there when I go back.

However, I didn't get it because it is a soundtrack, so I though that the songs would be available elsewhere. Is that true? Plus, it looked like there was only 6 songs on it, so I figured it wasn't a great value.

5. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

It's not a soundtrack, it's a real studio album released in 1976. Get it, it's arguably one of the best Bowie albums ever. Don't worry about there only being 6 songs - the title track alone is really 3 songs in one!

6. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

You are definitely missing out. Station to Station is my favorite Bowie album. And, as HMV says, it is not a soundtrack -- it is a full-fledged Bowie album. Yes it is six tracks, but the title track is like 12 minutes long anyway.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I had ChangesOne (I think, I ditched it a LONG time ago) and thought it was a bad sounding cd. If memory serves, there was a dispute over whether Bowie's contract with RCA allowed the release of his catalog on cd, and he sued, forcing their withdrawal.

8. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

oh boy, go get it pronto. Title track has got to be one of the best of all of those albums.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

I won't be back there for about a month, but trust me, it will be there. I spent the most I ever spent at a used CD store last time ($250 :shh: ) so I need a break anyway. I need to drive about an hour and a half to get there and that means renting a car unfortunately.

10. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I like the WG Station to Station more than the Japan.

I like the Japan MWSTW more than the WG.

Tim

11. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member Thread Starter

Which Japan pressing? The RPCD, R32P, or the Japan for U.S. (what ever the number is for that one)? I haven't heard any RCA pressings for this album.

12. onlyconnect

Actually I was just going by the Japan here:

http://needledrop.wikispaces.com/David+Bowie+CD+Comparisons

which says it is RCA PCD1-1327

Sounds like Japan for US?

Tim

13. onlyconnect

Actually I was just going by the Japan here:

http://needledrop.wikispaces.com/David+Bowie+CD+Comparisons

which says it is RCA PCD1-1327

Sounds like Japan for US?

Tim

14. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

Hey, here I am to resurrect the forum's favorite topic of discussion! Or perhaps not, I don't know. :angel:

Having listened again to some of the samples on the Wiki, I'm surprised my ears didn't catch on the superiority of the RCAs earlier (thank you, ReplayGain!). Now, I haven't listened to them all, but the difference is pretty darn clear on Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane. The EMIs/Virgins are barely worth discussing, but in comparison to the RCAs, the Rykos are treble-boosted and lacking in bass. I always had the impression they were sterile, but geeze, the RCAs really put it in perspective. Nice, natural bass and no moments were my ears hurt from the boosted treble of the Rykos.

That being said, I've gone through page after page on the subject, believe me, and I haven't seen many people defending the Rykos. Maybe one or two times out of all the pages. I compared the Ryko Au20 and RCA (Germany) of Sound and Vision, and though I lean towards the RCA, there does seem to be one issue I have. When you listen to the first few drum hits of the song on the RCA, they seem muffled and noisy, while the Ryko hits are clear. I'm sure part of this is EQ-meddling, but it also seems the RCA in this case is a little veiled. Opinions on this (and other "flaws" on the RCAs)?

15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I have yet to find a WG RCA Low, but have the Ryko Au20 version and actually like it. It's the best I've heard of the Ryko's.

16. I like the Ryko Au20 version of Ziggy. Is it as good as either of the RCAs? Probably not but it is a decent alternative.

17. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

Hmm, I did a little more investigation and can confirm that the Rykos use noise reduction. A great track that clearly evidences this is Black Country Rock. On the Japanese RCA of the track there's some clear tape noise at the beginning. With the Ryko, there's no noise whatsoever. (Besides my own comparisons, I remember someone, on one of these threads, showing a spectrum analysis that also confirmed the use of NR.)

Another thing I've observed is that the Rykos generally boosted the vocals far too much. They really stand out and overpower the music at times, while they're appropriate (even a bit recessed sometimes, maybe) on the RCAs.

18. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Back On Topic: RCA's

Got "Aladdin Sane" on RCA (Japan) early this yr ($19.99US); very happy.
    Picked up another last night ($5.95US), not a German; man those WG are hard too find!
    Thing is scratched bad (plays fine); when I got home I thought the cover was different, so I pulled out the other one. RCA logo is on left not right side. Back covers are different w/the 'new' one having the cities w/the titles (which is important I think). So... have:
    Gray label PD83890: PD 83890 1A6 65
    Blue ring PCD1-4852: DIDX-179 21 CSR Compact Disc

Inserts are also different.
    I believe the 'gray label' is older; any help?
    Thanks.

19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Don't know which came first, but it sounds like you have a Japan for Germany (gray rays design) and a Japan for US (blue ring.) Correct?

Do they sound different?

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Correct.
    Although I've only played them against one another once...
    I'd say the "grey" is a bit (pi) better.
    Just on like the piano & backing vocals maybe; loudness, lead vocal, guitar, & bass/drums sounded too close too call. Maybe I'll do another Japan vs. Japan after dancing tonight to see, cause I really bought the second one too sell. :o

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Just sent you a message. :shh:

22. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I have a WG RCA on the way, so that will mean I will have all of them (ZS, not RCAs, on CD). I guess I've learned to appreciate it.

In a completely unrelated development, when practicing my geetar last night I discovered that the verse chording of the song "Ziggy Stardust" starts the same as for "Crocodile Rock" (G | B- | C | D).

23. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Okay, so I got the Ziggy Stardust WG-for-Europe, Aladdin Sane Japan-for-Europe, Pin Ups Japan for Europe, and Let's Dance EMI America (mfd in U.S.). Didn't realize that ALL my tracks for Let's Dance from other sources had been single edits. So it was worth the US$7. Plus I picked up a hard-to-find Michael Jackson Thriller original Epic (don't laugh, every other I've seen are special/limited/10th/15th/20th/25th anniversary remixed/remastered/remodeled) and a U2 The Unforgettable Fire made in the U.S. with no barcode (A2-90231).

2 curious points:
    (1) The EMI America Let's Dance sports a smooth case, but the top and bottom are clear rather than translucent. Is this an "original" case? If so, does its presence indicate anything special about my version?
    (2) The artwork for the Aladdin Sane Japan-for-Europe (printed in Germany) is of far higher quality than the Aladdin Sane Japan-for-U.S. (printed in the U.S.). I assume that is because German printing quality standards are much higher than American standards.
    (3) I have way too many David Bowie CDs.

24. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

I know this argument has been done to death, but personally, I like the AU20s. They might be a touch bright, but not unlistenable. The clarity and definition of the music is there, without sounding like a loud, brickwalled "remaster." There are many great, if not superior, RCAs, but don't diss the AU20s altogether!

Squad 701 likes this.
  25. onlyconnect

The Rykos do sound remarkably different from the RCAs. The Rykos are generally clearer but there is something not quite right about them; the music doesn't flow as it should. Sorry to be so vague. The RCAs aren't as sharp but they aren't annoying either.

I reckon needledrop is probably the best way to go here.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.