Best Sounding digital Beatles singles comp?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RZangpo2, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

It sounds fine... That's the version I've got on my mp3 player :)

Although I think I used Past Masters!

(PS - I edited from the last chord!)

2. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

All I did was decrease the volume of the "1" version by .3 db and replaced the final chord. So the entire song is from the CD Singles Collection except for the last chord onward. Sounds fine to me (although I hate the NR):

http://homepage.mac.com/CardinalFang/mp3/bojay.mp3

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

It sounds mono to me, but when I did the test it failed, so apparently we can pick a channel. However, the results of the test are worse than other mono singles in the set. The result of the test is louder than other mono tracks on the box set. The loudest peak of the invert/collapsed file is -8.4 db! On other tracks it would be in the negative twenties or thirties.

Attached Files:

4. JWB

JWB New Member

Have you decided on Disc Two yet?

5. mdpierocarey

mdpierocarey Forum Resident

So it took me awhile here to get this project rolling. I never ripped CDs & manipulated the tracks before, just resequenced tracks for mix discs for the car or whatever. And made needledrops. But thanks to tips found on this forum, I am now doing the actual thing, i.e. isolating the clearer channel and recreating a mono track from that channel.

I have a few tracks done now. Up until last night, I had only heard the little cymbal sample from "I Feel Fine" over my PC speakers. Last night I was able to do a little critical listening to some "repaired" CD singles at last.

So I A/Bed some manipulated singles vs. the original CD-singles. I am floored. These really sound very, very different. Much improved. I know this process doesn't fix every problem with this set (e.g. needed EQ), but it is an astonishing change.

I am really wondering now why Steve thought this was an "excercise in something", I assume he meant sort of an excercise in futility, to find a polite word. Hmm. I am very happy I put forth the effort.

I am also wondering if Ron has found time to decide on Disc Two yet?

Cheers, all.
    Doug

6. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All Thread Starter

Nope. This project is on the shelf for the time being. But someone else did it, didn't they? A few posts back?

7. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

I just got a Paperback Writer / Rain 3" cd single, and this puppy is "true" mono, no remnants when I try the inverting test. Does this mean the mastering on the 3" and 5" singles was different?

8. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Absolutely. How does it sound?

9. rubbersounds

I think it sounds better, I thought I noticed a cleaner cymbal sound in the break just before the second verse, but I'm not really sure. I have a hard time hearing any of the differences mentioned in this thread.

10. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I know what you mean. I try to listen to a particular instrument, but mostly what I'm looking for is distortion. If the track distorts anywhere, then I know there's something wrong. I also look for instruments that sound weird or echo that sounds unnatural.

11. Magnus A.

Magnus A. Forum Resident

I just did the inverting test on my Austria-mastered 3" single from 1989, and both Paperback Writer and Rain leave a lot of artefacts when the inverted channel is combined with the non-inverted channel. My copy has got the following text around the centre: MASTERED BY DADC AUSTRIA 2031173-11 A1.
    Does this mean that different masterings of the 3" singles exist?

12. rubbersounds

I'll try headphones, see if that helps.

13. rubbersounds

Mine is manufactured by Capitol Records with catalog number C3-44310-2, and underneath the Capitol logo it says CSIG 000188.

14. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Care to post a short sample? :) You could be onto something here...

15. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I'm glad to see we are getting around to the 3" vs. 5" issue here,I brought this up long ago,but had no feedback..I also have the complete 3" collection of singles.
    Could they have done 2 different masterings? The 3" series came before the 5" box. I had all the 3 inchers and did not buy the box when it came out.

JF

16. mdpierocarey

mdpierocarey Forum Resident

I sadly have no 3" CD singles to work with on this. I wish I could contribute, as it's an important question whatever the answer.

I can't tell from the messages regarding 3" copies whether anyone is really confident of the lack of an out-of-sync problem on those. I have thought for some time now, based on old threads on this forum, that the mastering was the same between the 3" CDs and 5" CDs in general...

Sigh, it's so complicated...
    Cheers,
    Doug Piero Carey

17. rubbersounds

I just have the one 3" single. The 5" PW has a noise or pop right on the first "paperback" at 0.943 seconds. The 3" doesn't have this. The 5" has a silence of 0.539 seconds at the start of the track, while the 3" has 1.097 seconds. The 5" Rain has 0.516 seconds silence at the beginning, the 3" has 0.412. The 5" has the out-of-sync problem, the 3" doesn't. I'd say the Capitol 3" PW/Rain single at least is different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.