Best Sounding Original CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I was duped, years ago a very gifted stereo salesman shared a theory that compact discs were inherently terrible sounding because not a lot of care was put into the mastering process. Converting the analog recorded tracks into the digital form caused the loss of dynamics and warmth. I was convinced that all my cd's sounded like crap and that the only remedy was to get the remastered versions as soon as possible. It also gave me reason to continue to buy music. Since I've been exposed to the overwhelming wealth of knowledge and common sense here, I've gone back and listened to some of my original discs and some of them sound pretty awesome. Some notables:

Midnight Oil- Earth and Sun and Moon......this is hands down the best sounding original disc I own and it sounds better than 95% if not more of the remastered albums I own. It's a fine example of the very finest standards with respect to how the album was recorded and mastered and it's a shame that others don't follow suit.
    Crowded House- Temple of Low Men......... the overall level is low but the clarity and warmth is very nice.
    The Call- Reconciled......................Very nice recording, the instruments sound like they're in the car with you.
    T'il Tuesday- Welcome Home and Everything's Different Now.........both black triangle discs with sound that rivals most any of my remastered discs.

These are just some of the discs I've had the chance to listen to and I'm sure there are plenty more. Thought it would be nice to hear about some since so many remastered versions have been disappointments.

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Are you new here? :)

3. Havoc

Somewhat and I figured I was running the risk of a reply like that, I searched and didn't find this exact criteria so it is what it is.

rem 600, M321115, grandegi and 4 others like this.
  4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I was just ribbing you a little. Your story is a common one around here. I'll even name a great sounding original disc (off the top of my head): Yes Close To The Edge.

5. Havoc

Oh I know, I'm not sitting fully clothed in an empty cast iron tub sobbing quietly......yet. I know it's common but most of the discussions are a bit more specific so I was trying to keep it more open in the hopes that myself or others may find an opportunity to right a wrong in our collections.

6. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

You might be amazed at the prices some of the 1st pressings go for in nice shape, especially with OBI. And...ya know...everything goes better with OBI.

M321115, JDeanB, danielbravo and 2 others like this.
  7. Havoc

Is that because many people have learned the hard truth about remasters and the loudness wars or more out of trying to complete collections? Possibly a pretty good blend of both reasons?

8. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

I prefer all of the original R.E.M. IRS CDs over the recent deluxe edition remasters. Really glad I kept them - wish I hadn't been so hasty to ditch other old discs (for remasters), though. Live and learn.

9. Havoc

How do those original discs stack up in general? Were they great recordings that were transferred with care to those discs or is it because the remasters are bad? In your opinion, if someone could guarantee you that he or she could take the sources and make fantastic remasters out of those discs, would you be looking forward to it or are you pretty content with what you have?

joshm2286 likes this.
  10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The fact is a lot of CD's got it right the first time, not many formats can make that claim.

11. Havoc

How about examples of where a band, producer and mastering engineer got it right in a grand way then lost it the next time out?

joshm2286 and ian christopher like this.
  12. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Paul Simon -- Greatest Hits, etc.

13. I prefer the Mofi for the first two (even if the bass is boosted although there's debate about that...including the fact that it may represent the sound of the mastertape).

I LOVE this disc!!

14. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Just as a matter of interest, Havoc...which pressing of 'Earth And Sun And Moon' do you have? There are at least two different mastering's on CD of this album that I have found and they both sound different, IMO!

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love OBI!

16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Do the Bob Marley CD's done by Barry Diament fall into this category?

17. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

The European 1993 re-releases of their IRS albums share the same mastering and include some nice bonus tracks ...

So true. While I have a few early, good (AC/DC, Ozzy) or at least decent sounding (Dire Straits) remasters, there are many, where I definitely wish I'd kept my original discs (Maiden, Priest, Gary Moore, ...). Live and learn, indeed.

18. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Weren't the 1993 re-releases remastered using some kind of no-noise? I remember some forum member posting something about it, i will do a search.

ian christopher likes this.
  19. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  20. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Some CDs of the top of my head:
    - Lionheart, Kate Bush
    - Body and Soul, Joe Jackson
    - Beatmasters, cd single Hey DJ / I Can't Dance (To That Music You're Playing) b/w Ska Train
    - Depeche Mode, the cd singles of World In My Eyes and Policy Of Truth
    - Herbie Hancock, Mr. Hands

These are CDs I will always take with me when audition someone else's system. There are others, but they're not "originals".

21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I've recently started collecting CDs properly and the first thing I'm doing is offloading my remasters and replacing them with originals. It's surprisingly easy with the stuff I'm interested in, you can generally get between £3 and £5 for a recent remaster, and the original disc is usually cheaper.

22. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Beware of going too far in this direction, though. There are many remasters that are fantastic, and many "original" CDs that suck.

crispi, melstapler, tmtomh and 16 others like this.
  23. johnHS

johnHS Forum Resident

Never had a problem with the original Billy Joel cds.

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Agreed. The major labels are also doing a better job in general than they did, say, 10 years ago. Maybe they are finally listening to us (and their prior remasters).

JDeanB, tmtomh, Frittenköter and 5 others like this.
  25. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

This obi joke never gets old. May it be told a million more times.

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.